Tech investing

Jon Patrick

hey all,

this may have been discussed before, but now that we have the *full* version... what tech and in what order do you invest in? Does it differ whether you play Axis or Allies?

After my first game (see related post), I have learned that Industrial Tech and Jet power are a key. advanced subs, heavy tanks would be my *second tier*, with radar and gun-laying radar my *third tier* of interest.

Is it possible to get above the 5/5 tech advancements? (okay, okay, I need to read the documentation) Once I get to 4 or so, I reduce my investment in a tech research to 1 or 2 and redistribute my resources to others.. but once I get to 5 I pull off entirely...

Thoughts?

Jon

Has anyone tried investing heavily in Rocket research yet, and is it worthwhile?

I'm still awaiting the full game to arrive in the post (I'm in England), and I haven't bothered with Rockets in the demo. Am I right in thinking they have a long range strike capability at the higher tech. levels?

Also one geographical note that no-one else will care about - why is the port in South-East England called Gillingham? The naval base is (or was - as it is now just a 'historic dockyard') at Chatham. The only reason I care is because I was born there!

I'm "still" playing my first game (in-law was over since Thursday!)... 1939 as Allied on +1 (cause SuperTed said so... ;) )

Industrial tech x2 for the Brits is going to really help them quite a bit. I can see where the Germans will need this tech as well.

I think this one is key, even before big tanks!!

Aloid

BTW, make sure you check the research pool for Russia when they enter the war... there's a suprise waiting for you! (I missed it for three turns... doh!)

I invest in Industrial ASAP as it is a multiplier for your MPP's. I think its very important to get Industrial first because as you advance your other techs, the units get more expensive. So in the long run, you should end up with more total military power by concentrating on this one first.

The next one is jet fighters because they completely dominate. Level 5 Jets can knock an Army from 10 to 5 with one strikes sometimes. Plus, with their range and ability to strike from the safety of friendly territory, they become a huge force multiplier, making all ground units more threatening. Also, you can only attack a city with 6 ground units at a time, but there is almost no limit to how many air strikes you can make. And lastly, it increases the strike value of your cariers as well.

Third is Heavy tanks, between them and Jets, all I need infantry for is to hold the cities after I take them.

After that, I'm still experimenting. I like anti-tank. Long range aircraft also only makes my jets that much more powerfull. It seems like I usually only have time to get to 5 on 3 techs in the course of a game anyway.

Originally posted by mavraam:

Third is Heavy tanks, between them and Jets, all I need infantry for is to hold the cities after I take them.

You have to be careful with heavy tanks, though - in one game, the USSR ramped up their anti-tank defense so high that I had to bring in infantry to do my attacks.

I.e., a 13 or 14 strength tank attacking a 13 or 14 strength infantry unit would lose 6 or 7 points; the infantry unit would also lose 6 or 7 points. This was in the open.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

You have to be careful with heavy tanks, though - in one game, the USSR ramped up their anti-tank defense so high that I had to bring in infantry to do my attacks.

I.e., a 13 or 14 strength tank attacking a 13 or 14 strength infantry unit would lose 6 or 7 points; the infantry unit would also lose 6 or 7 points. This was in the open.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they made the AT so effective. I guess I'll have to pound them hard with my level 5 jets first!

This is a very interesting point because it may change my mind about whether I want heavy tank to be my second upgrade choice.

Has anyone seen an upgrade that can have a similar effect on Jets? As far as I've seen, a level 5 jet is basically unstoppable by anything other than another level 5 jet.

While I agree that industrial tech is key, I am surprised that more people are not investing heavily into AT. Look at your map, how many units are infantry on there?

Spend those points where they can help you the most, planes and tanks might be neato, but infantry will win or lose the war.

Jeff Heidman

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

While I agree that industrial tech is key, I am surprised that more people are not investing heavily into AT. Look at your map, how many units are infantry on there?

Spend those points where they can help you the most, planes and tanks might be neato, but infantry will win or lose the war.

Jeff Heidman

I would tend to agree JH, but in my game against the Axis, they are KILLING ME with the Luftwaffe.

They must have 10+ air units, 8 of which are on the Eastern Front. I can't seem to land my AA tech, so I'm getting nailed.

Forget the Red Airforce... I can't afford them...

Aloid