Are there plans for a Pacific Theater? Expansion?

Tom Hale

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

I think that a Pacific Theater game would be the next good choice but it's still all up in the air for me right now, first things first kind of thing ;)

Hubert

As an Axis and Allies player (mostly variants: Europe at War, World at War), I have been searching a long time for a game that can add more detail and more realism to war gaming while retaining the scope of the entire world (or at least one major theater, i.e. Europe or the Pacific). Having said this, I have found Strategic Command to be the PERFECT blend of detail plus grand scope; it is essentially the war game I have always wanted. Bravo!

Now, if I might take this one step further with a request: do you think that, some day, you would consider expanding Stategic Command to the scope of the entire world? For one thing, a game of such magnitude of scope and detail would be almost entirely physically impractical to manage as a boardgame, which is why I have the idea that it might be possible through compter software. I realize it would probably require a mother load of computer ram and a super fast procesor (not to mention years of work), but it would sure be the game of a life time for me (and maybe others). I actually like long games, especially ones with the potential to evolve radically over time.

For example, after several days of gaming, Germany is defeated by the Allies and the Soviet Union (as a separate player). Now, a cold war begins as the Allies (with Germany, or part) prepare for another massive world war against the Soviet Union (meanwhile, the game could actually proceed write through to the 1960's or even later, while technology progresses to form a completely alternate reality from today). Or, maybe Germany and Japan conquer the Soviet Union while the US and possibly UK prepare for another gigantic naval war as the Axis powers attempt to overcome the rest of the world entirely. Whether or not you think such a game would be at all feasable, I would love to know what you (Battlefront design team) think about this.

Thanks to anyone who read this post and more to anyone who replys!

Originally posted by Jeremy Hill:

do you think that, some day, you would consider expanding Stategic Command to the scope of the entire world?

Yes, excellent! I've been nagging Hubert to try and get him to do the whole thing, but I have felt very lonely.

At least one other wants to see this done. :D

Originally posted by DevilDog:

Not good enough Hubert. We demand a solid SC2 release date!

Failing that a complete list of new features and functionality would be sufficient smile.gif

PS. For future consideration it would be nice if botht the Chinese Nationalists and Communists were in any PTO game.

As far as PTO goes i would not buy that after i get the European theater.As i said in an Earlier post it should go global war with the PTO as a scenario.

It most likey would make sense for Hurbert to make PTO and then then make a global war that way as the developer he could sqeeze abit more life out of the game engine and $$$$$ of course,not that there is anything wrong with that.But from a gamers point of veiw it would be much better to get the big picture.

Some games could get away with it but i dont think this could as the scale is to small.Ive played the demo,and just having to manage the Euro theater is fun and very managable,i could cope with full global warfare in about another 5 minutes of playing

[ June 17, 2002, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Titan ]

I can only assume the magnitude of a WORLD theatre would be too much. With all of the strategic possibilities currently in the game. I think a world theatre would be great, but extremely complicated and maybe too many units to control.

Dont get me wrong, I would love it, even though 1 scenario might take 2-3 weeks a la TAOW.

I think that playing one year of the demo does not do justice to the scale and complexity this game could have.

I guess well have to wait and see when it comes out.

just my 3 cents.

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/rough/awm2.gif] awm2.gif

Originally posted by DaVillan:

[QB] With all of the strategic possibilities currently in the game. I think a world theatre would be great, but extremely complicated and maybe too many units to control.

I should have also added I had in mind that each major power could be controlled by a separate person. This should make it managable for each player to cope with the number of strategic possibilities.