AAR: A Zapp-Dragon affair, Best out of 7. Game #4: Dragon (Axis), Zapp (Allies)

zappsweden

Sorry for being lazy yesterday i will write a short summery with comments now.

One is for sure this game raises our respect for each other. On the one hand we granted each other a mulligan as we did things which ****ed up our game, so we finally restarted and on the other hand we played rather quickly this time except some tricky situations ....so no zzzzz this time :D

-Most facts already mentioned by zapp

-Paris fell in September my losses were serious as this time i tried with VAN SUCK -->he was the reason for bad rolls and that i failed 2 times to get another breakthrough on costal hex and ardennen wood.

-Besides my fighting losses of 2 AF´s, 1 Army 1 Corps i almost sold my entire army, also due to the fact as i was fed up with VAN SUCK and bought Manstein instead.

-My Minors were late and the the other minors were the usual thing except Marseilles (Vichy) as i had no HQ support there (Manstein Denmark,Rundstet Sizily, VAN SUCK executed!!)

-Due to the early joining of itlay they got the hole med before the fall of Paris, also Greece was dowed as Germany was very short of cash

-I lost my hole it. navy in useless battles and i gave back Gibraltar otherwise the well trained carriers would have become monsters prior to D-DAY.

-Dowing Greece and a minor border mistake +4% (no unit in KB) gave russian and US warreadyness a serious boost.

-when hitting 87 % i told zapp i will gamble and wait another turn for Barby, in case of failture i would have surrendered as i had way to few units.

-Barby was quite good only one tank survived from the usual dead stuff

-Portugal and Irak were dowed and conquered

WESTERN AFFAIR

-Zapp performed D-Day very early, Rommel with 3 AF´s and a couple of it. corps and minor armies were defending the west. His Carriers together with AF´s killed a couple of corps.

-I had no other chance but to stop my efforts in russia and to put more units in the west

-With the arrival of most of the italian army and reaching JET 2 i countered in the west and cut off and killed almost all Yanks including one HQ and a couple of engl. corps

-I recaptured also Bruessel when reaching JET 3 as zapp had no other choice but to hide from my air

-his carriers lost some strengh points when attacking bruessel and when he tried to go offensive from bergen (as expected)

-So all in all the west is secure for now just in Brest is another US Corps waiting for its dead

Eastern affair

Before i start with some details if have to say this was the blooiest and most exiting battle i have ever seen in my SC carrier. Zapp should not have the name Airking but Tankking. :D

-As stated before, Barby went quite well but my lines were very thin and i had not the power to move forwards (few units, half of Air in the west)

-Zapp bought a ****load of tanks and countered already in turn 2 killed several of my tanks

-In my counter i killed also some of his tanks but had to step back in the north as i had no units left there.

-In the south of russia i could capture odessa after several turns

-Meanwhile Zapp conquered Finnland and tested the defence of Sweden which was well prepared this time.

-With holding the keyhexes in the north zapp swifted his hole force to the south and I moved also all my forces to the south, the north was guarded only by some corps.

-He went to offensive and we had the bloodiest battle in SC history --->both of us lost at least 20 tanks and hard stuff additional some corps.

-I have no army anymore and did nothing but to buy tanks for almost a year :D

-He raped my gapfillers -->HQ´s :D and recaptured Odessa but now when italians arrived from the west his offensive loses its blow and i could cause him serios losses

-Russia should be so dead like germany concerning ground units only some hard units are left.

-It seems zapp did not use alot of chits this time and used all the money for buying counterstuff.

-We did not care losses and even 3,4,5 strengh units were attacking only with the purpose to kill an enemy unit. :D

Summary

-i was almost dead and had a rebirth

-russia is loosing its power and will have to retreat soon -->hopefully ;)

-his northern flank is open i think, only some corps in the cities.

-the west is paralysed by my jet advantage (3vs2)

-MPP is almost equal but can turn when i go to offensive

-all in all one of our best and most exiting games so far and no decision yet.

Edit: Can continue earliest Wednesday later in the evening (22.00)or Thursday early in the evening.(18.30)

[ June 21, 2005, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Dragonheart ]

The game looked good when Barbarossa began. The thing that really turned the tide for Axis was that I was overambitious in France.

Italy had been around since March 1940 and bought HQ's plus alot of units. If I had not made my rash advance towards Bordeaux, my entrenched AT (L1 and afterwards L2) armies would have held the line quite long. eventually I would have to withdraw, but with the breakthroughs and all I lost more units than I had time to replace plus I could not retreat in time.

I made a false assumption that Axis would throw in everything east and just entrench the mountains in Southern France. I was just going to take Bordeaux quick and then move on east to take LC an go to West Germany.

[ June 21, 2005, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Yes, apart from repair costs for air in the west the exchange rate was roughly 2000 MPP loss from allies vs 750 MPP loss for axis.

In the east we had an exchange rate from roughly 8000 MPP loss for each of us. I was wondering how many hard stuff you was still owning after horrible losses but i think you were wondering too from where this fresh tanks were coming from :D .

Russia has at least twice as many hard units left as germany...so this means when i have 2 left you will have 4. ROFL.

Anyway it´s not a good deal for axis fighting with Panzer IV ag T 34/85 ...the only advantage is that they are a bit cheaper.

Originally posted by John DiFool the 2nd:

How could you afford all those units guys? 8000

MPPs!??!? IIRC the Russians won't reach a total

accumulated MPP level that high (from the start of

Barbarossa onward) for at least 18 months...

Since Axis is simply too strong in SC, almost every SC player is using a bid system. We give starting MPP to UK, USA and Russia.

When we write "he got Axis for 200" we are just lazy. We should write "he got axis for 200 bid at 1:5:30" meaning UK start with 1*200, USA start with 5*200 and Russia start with 30*200.

It might sound huge that Russia start with 5000+ MPP EXTRA in addition to the starting 1000-2000 but Axis usually take every single neutral except Turkey so they have alot of MPP and plunder to battle the Russians.

Yeah I understood the bid system, didn't grasp the

magnitude of the Allied bonuses tho! I guess this

means that the game disagrees with history, which

showed that the Germans had several disadvantages,

(not including leadership of course), such as in the

areas of industry, logistics, and motorization: no

frickin' way in heck the Axis could have successfully

fought campaigns in (say) Scandinavia, France

during an Overlord, Iraq, and Russia all at once.

Not to mention Allied/Russian advantages not

portrayed. Then again anyone who has played SC1

much already knew that: in a straight up fight

between two evenly-matched players it looks like

the Allies have absolutely no chance, so duhh... :cool:

Howcum France doesn't share in that booty?

You usally never give a bonus to France simply because the critical phase for the Axis sucess is the attack on France. France many times is already strong enough to stop the Axis in its tracks. The so called RAI strategy is up to date the most aggressive strategy to break the axis already in France.

Zap&DH very good AAR bring it on smile.gif

Report before the break (we were in 1944):

DH left the door open and gave Allies a last hope... Brussels was surrounded and fell.

USA landed in LC and supported a front line all the way to Paris to get the supply route. Russia finally managed to halt the Axis offensive south.

Germany have lots of air west and will soon be able to blast HQ's, allies need to take Paris and get the uper hand on the ground. With a larger Allied ground mass, those low range luftwaffe wont reach my HQ's. UK does sporadic battles with air but they cannot afford the MPP most often. UK carriers ar heroes behind the lines intercepting and often causing 4-6 points on Luftwaffe while only suffering 1 point.

What really keeps Allies in the game now is that Germany do not afford chits for AT and Long Range. Instead Russia, USA and Italy all have L3 AT. Italy have taken over Germanys role in southern Russia, those incompetent Germans! :D

Jet Tech:

Germany L4

UK L4

Russia L4

USA secret

Jet numbers:

Germany 9

UK 3+3 carriers

Russia 2

USA 1

[ June 23, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

After i got lazy to continue writing a short summary what happend so far.

-In the east i mangaged to kill more ground units than own losses, standing at the gates of Kiev

-In the north it is quiet just took Riga and Minsk and thats it

-In Norway we had a couple of airfights where i lost 1 AF by carrier attack

-later when he captured Bruessels again he left Bergen unguarded and i took it

-I recaptured Brest..but not for long.

-The US-Boys recovered from their first defeat have now a quite strong army with 3 HQ´s.

-The new front is from Bordeaux over Paris to the Mine upwards to Bruessels.

-After leaving Bergen airfights continued near Bruessels...his damn carrires put me a hell of a fight

-In the west i have 4 HQ now so in the east there are only italians and some german AF´s and corps.

-So almost the hole german army is facing the US-Boys, but these guys a well trained from Bergen traininscamp.

Comment

In this session i managed to kill much more ground units then he did. But i did some risky attacks with AF´s in russia which cost me some AF´s. So the gained advantage is vanished. The game is still not decided and we are already in 1944. Decinsive will be if i can push pack russia deeper in the motherland picking Kiew and Odessa too...and how the fight in the west is going.

On both fronts we have approx. equal Air and ground units and we are all on jet4. MPP should be also equal. Whilst allies show LR 2 or even 3 meanwhile Axis still is on LR 0.

When long-range kicked in DH could start killing HQ's. USA only have 3 HQ's in the game! Cannot buy any more!

Anyway, HUGE mistake on my D-Day 1 when I was outnumbered and got totally head-cracked.

On D-Day 2 I really had good chances. Several times I was throwing in new armies arriving from USA one at the time, that was a mistakes. He coutnered them everytime equalling the losses and making me have to stall waiting for new units. I should have kept corps line and threw in 3-4 armies at once.

I just gained the pressure the last 2 turns but then DH got long-range. My front line was them mostly armies instead of corps. I couold have gotten that sooner had I played it correct :(

Had I gained the pressure some 7-8 turns before, he would have lost bordeuax and fallen back and had plenty of losses plus that I would have the space to hide my HQ's from his range.

Summary

-we were exchanging cities an units like the hell

>Helsinki,Minsk,Kiev,Odessa,Bruessel,Paris,Bergen,Brest changed owner several times

>US had very strong units they headcracked me, could hardly hold line in france

>Italians were very expierenced and after 3 Years fighting for Kiev they finally got it

>we had endless airfights

>finally gamebreaker was that i researched LR 1 and killed the 3rd US HQ

Chits invested in this game

-1 LR (very late)-->LR 1 during endgame

-2 Jet (1 early one late) -->Jet 4

-1 IT (early after Paris -->IT 3 (IT1 early 2,3 late

Zapp surrenders End 1945, standing best of 7 series is 3:1 for Dragonheart