Hearts of Iron

Snall

Agree that HOI looks really cool, if perhaps an extraordinary drain on available gaming time.

More importantly for me, I saw a thread on their message board about "What to play while waiting on HOI" which recommened SC. I wonder how many copies of SC that particular thread sold? I haven't come up for air for a while (SC isn't perfect, but it is the best WWII strategy game that I've seen on a computer).

an extraordinary drain on available gaming time
Like a Black Hole! :eek:

Hopefully HOI will have some manageable scenarios to allow players to focus on particular aspects of WWII. I can't imagine how long it may take to play an entire campaign game solo from the pre-war maneuvering in Europe and early Japanese battles in China through the bitter end with Russians assaulting Berlin and Americans bombing Tokyo. I am curious to play parts of the game, yet cautious with regard to how much time it will consume.

SC can be played in a weekend or at least within a few weeks, and this ensures replayability and an opportunity to learn how to play the game well, either solo or against other players. There's a LOT of value to that. Isn't that why most of us play wargames? There's something to be said for simplicity.

HOI will be a different experience, an opportunity for deeper and prolonged study of WWII. Hopefully the ministers system will work well and allow the game to proceed 'normally'(?) with minimal player input, unless and until we choose to micromanage some issue. That will be cool. If we have to micromanage too many details just to keep the game moving, that will get tedious after a while and detract from the fun, not to mention taking forever to accomplish. Then again, some folks look forward to that kind of thing. [i also play RGW with 1-week turns, 10-mile hexes, and division/brigade-size units on the eastern front. Let me tell ya, it takes a while to play a full front scenario!]

HOI and SC should complement each other, not compete with each other. There is definitely a niche for a WWII grand strategy game like SC that is not only playable, but replayable over and over again within a reasonable time frame. And with a little more realism and historical accuracy added to the game, SC2 should be excellent. :cool:

Originally posted by wadepm:

It uses "Real Time" game play. Does that mean it will take 5+ years to complete each game? But it's "pausable" so it will take even longer!

Well, it is using the Europa Universalis game engine, and Europa Universalis II lasts from 1419 to 1820. Game reviewers keep complaining that the game takes 400+ years to complete.

Otherwise it's good though.

~Norse~

I think I'll play Hearts in Iron...in about 25 years when I'm retired and can devote hundreds of hours to resolve one game! I mean, c'mon, the thing is on a worldwide scale, down to the province level!! Who has that much time!

The beauty of SC is its countless potential outcomes masked behind an extremely easy to play game system. True, SC could use a few more tweaks, but I would still rate is as the best strategic scale wargame I've ever played.

I believe the changes we'll see in the 1.06 SC patch will offer additional improvement, and rein in the the tendency for runaway Axis research. My guess, after 1.06 is released, the poster who claims he'll never lose as the Axis will have to eat his words.

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

I think I'll play Hearts in Iron...in about 25 years when I'm retired and can devote hundreds of hours to resolve one game! I mean, c'mon, the thing is on a worldwide scale, down to the province level!! Who has that much time!

The beauty of SC is its countless potential outcomes masked behind an extremely easy to play game system. True, SC could use a few more tweaks, but I would still rate is as the best strategic scale wargame I've ever played.

I believe the changes we'll see in the 1.06 SC patch will offer additional improvement, and rein in the the tendency for runaway Axis research. My guess, after 1.06 is released, the poster who claims he'll never lose as the Axis will have to eat his words.

If it plays like EU, you will only be playing one country so it is not as daunting as it sounds. For example, as Germany, you may form alliances with Italy and Japan but that does not mean you need to flit all over the map managing these countries as well as your own. They will go about their AI business as you go about yours, offering assistance when there is common need. At least, I hope this is how the game will be. If I in fact have to manage all the countries I have formed alliances with, then I may take a pass on the game.

As far as the time scale, EU covers centuries and it really does not take that long to play a scenario out. You pause the game, issue all your orders, then let the game speed ahead as you watch your orders play out. There are various speeds you can choose from which can allow you to watch events unfold at a crawling or quicksilver pace. Even though it is in real time, there is an ability to manage all your orders in pause mode, before you execute them, similar to Combat Mission, though you do have the ability to make changes while the time is running.

[ November 14, 2002, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: J Wagner ]

It seems to me that SC and HOI complement each other very well: there's absolutely no reason why the success of one should harm the other. After all, most people interested in WW2 strategic gaming are going to find something for them in both games.

I also came to SC via an earlier recommendation on the HOI forum, and have been enjoying the game greatly since and recommending it in turn.