SC is a lot like High Command

Nomaar

After playing the SC beta, it reminded me a lot - and I mean A LOT - of a game called High Command, which was released in 1992 by Three-Sixty, the company of Harpoon fame.

HC had many problems, including a lousy AI and no multiplayer support, and faded away into nothingness. But the look, feel, gameplay - to tell you the truth it seems near identical. Just wondering if some of the SC developers worked on that game of yesteryear.

Here's a link to the only HC web site I'm aware of:

www.ryanbailey.com/hicom/hicom.html

Hey Nomaar, welcome aboard...

We've been all over that one, and COS, 3R, and about every other game ever made about WWII...

While they look the same, SC has a lot of good things going for it, most importantly the AI.

Did you buy it yet? It's only $25 bucks, and you'll have a bunch of guys here who will gladly PBEM.

TCP/IP is in the works for it as well!!

See you on the battlefield!

Aloid

[ August 02, 2002, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Aloid ]

I'd have to say that SC is nothing like HC - OK, the both cover WWII on the strategic scale, but SC has an AI, plays lots faster, has been well developed and appeasr to be well supported.

HC was a complete waste of electrons. Bad AI? Try no AI. You could conquer Russia by pointing your units East and stopping when you hit the edge of the map. You could buy battleships in 1/10th of a ship increments, at different ports, and then create task forces with them.

Thank God Hubert never worked on HC!

• 1 month later...

I do think HC tackled research and Dev better than this game. For example, if you got better tanks in HC, if I recall, all your units didn't automatically get them. Only new built units and perhaps reinforcements.

That would prevent the invasion of Russia in 41 with King Tiger equipped Panzer divisions that can result from a lucky bout of research. (Or just plain replaying PBEM turns until you get a breakthrough cheating)

Just curious, did everyone discover the "materiel laundering" bug in High Command whereby a player who controls two or more factory-shipyard sites can create UNLIMITED oil, mineral, production and economic points out of thin air? England can do it immediately, inasmuch as she starts the game with factory-shipyards in London and Liverpool.

I don't want to post a long-winded explanation of how the trick works if it's already common knowledge :D

Actually, I think the stacking limit (of one!) makes SC verrrrry different from HC. As I recall you could stuff a huge army into one hex in HC. It sometimes felt more like Napoleonic Warfare than modern to me.

Another difference is the lack of HC's elaborate international trade route system, which I found fascinating. Not only did the Axis have to try to break Allied SLOCs, but the Allies needed to block the Axis ones (sort of like in Clash of Steel, but with a lot more detail).

All in all I put HC in a category with Civ:CTP: the manual was a lot more interesting than the game.