Suggestion to get better performance and more FPS

This suggestion MOSTLY applies to those who have purchased new video cards recently, but probably could help anyone...

I recently ousted my Voodoo 2 1000 and replaced it with a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI.

After this change I was able to see transparent smoke, and to toss in some MODS, but I REALLY was not seeing much of a performance boost, actually NONE in fps.

Yesterday, playing the Whitmann scenario, I noticed a LOT of slowdown once kills started piling up.

I figured that since the final 1.1 patch was finally here, I may as well un-install, and then do a fresh re-install. This I did. I then re-installed my MODS, but was very choosy this time. (I only installed the Hi-Res Tiger and sounds from the Madd-dog packs, etc) Don't get me wrong, my game is fully MOD'ed, I was just picky this time.

Now, for whatever reason, I am getting double or triple fps! What used to average 25 fps, now averages 50 fps!

Anyhoo, this story may be a single case scenario, but I wanted to share it just in case someone out there could be helped with performance the way my game was.

(NOTE: I'm not exactly sure WHICH part of the process boosted performance...)

Or you are just lucky like me and have a fiance that buy you a AMD-950 processor, 256mb PC-133 RAM stick, and Geforce card for X-Mas. biggrin.gif

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

If you were using the beta patch before, it is likely your performance slowdown was due to the debugging being turned on for the beta.

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Just wondering what frame rates people are getting and if they make a difference in the appearance of the game after about 30 or so. I downloaded FRAPS, (great little program) and I am only getting 25 FPS in view 8 with a new high end system. The lower the view I go, however, the higher the FPS go. I get between 35 and 50 in the lower views. I wonder if resolution makes a difference also, as I am running in 1600 x 1200 resolution. What results are others seeing with high end systems?

Well definately the more hi-res mods you install, the lower your frame rate will be.

Mr. Clark, why a Voodoo 3 3000? That's a pretty low-end video card these days.

Now that 3Dfx has been bought-out by Nvidia, I wouldn't take a Voodoo product if given to me. I've had a TNT2 Ultra for over a year now and handles CM pretty well, fully modded with tons of hi-res mods except with the large scenarios.

I am using every hi-res mod that comes out except the latest Hummel/Nashorn mod. Just haven't got that one yet. wink.gif

It all really comes down to your VRAM. If you've got a 32MB card or better, then you can run those hi-res mods without a large slow-down.

Ah, several reasons for the V3. Mostly because of money. It was REALLY cheap. I only really wanted a graphics card for CM, since I have a PS2 for my other gaming enjoyment.

Also, I have an AMD, and voodoo cards just seem to be more compatible with K6-2's than any other brand.

It IS definately Hi-Res grass that eats up a system the fastest! Did some testing...

Oh, and I THOUGHT that maybe it was actually the de-bug stuff that was slowing everything down, but then realized that I was playing the slideshow Whitman scenario ON VERSION 1.1, before doing my fps changing re-install. So, it was definately SOMETHING about the re-install... no idea what... probably my selection of MODS, but possibly it just cleared out the right thing for my V3 to take off.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I D/Loaded a program called FRAPS.

You just run it then fire up CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is FRAPS and where do you get it?

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I recently ousted my Voodoo 2 1000 and replaced it with a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI.

After this change I was able to see transparent smoke, and to toss in some MODS, but I REALLY was not seeing much of a performance boost, actually NONE in fps.

]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I did read you bought voodoo 3 for money reasons. If you wanted better performance you should of got the Voodoo 5500. I got one for X-mas, and the speed increase is definately noticable.

Hey Maximus take it easy on the Voodoo cards they in my opinion are still the best. After lots of research I had originally desided to get a geforce card and did. Only problem is it was causing lots of lock ups with CM and other games. Even when updating drivers and such, I still had no success. I had a voodoo 3 before and never had a single problem with it. So I got the voodoo 5500 PCI and love it, once you figure out the different setting an what they do for individual games, you will love the Voodoo 5500, I do.