Serious Flame thrower problem - possible bug

Hey BTS and others,

In a game Im playing this very moment, I have several German FT teams (the infantry ones, not the halftracks). Now, I order them to target a building and move out. Usually they fire a burst and light up the building and get up and go, thus conserving ammo.

I have bough 4 FT's and out of those 4, 2 work flawlessly. They obey command, fire and walk away. A third was not obbeying commands at all. He was standing, with full ammo, in range of a platoon commander, in range of the flame burst - every possible detail was perfect and flawless. Yet, he did not fire and moved out. I have tried to keep him next to the building and not move him - maybe it was the moving part which messed things up I thought. However, the FT STILL did not fire.

Another one of my FT teams, the 4th, fired one burst and completed his orders as I desired them. However, when I ordered him to repeat the procedure with another building, he started malfunctioning like the first FT.

Now, I dont know. Maybe this is a simulation of the inadequacy of the Flamethrower as a weapon. But 50% malfunctions?! Seems a bit too high!

If this is a bug, it is one that is throwing a monkey wrench into my game plan and it would be real nice to avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks for listening,

Comm.

An update to the situation (I said this game was ungoing):

A THIRD Flamethrower has malfunctioned.

OK, Im sorry, but that's just bull$hit :mad:

I dont know how complex a mechanism that sprays fuel out of a tube and ignites it can be, but this is just wrong. I could do better with a book of matches and a hair spray can!

Actually Michael, I am defending, and thus, had my FT's nice and rested right in front of the buildings.

Most of them are Rested. I dont see how a Rested man, in command of a good platoon commander, with full ammo, no one firing at it, etc etc could fail like this.

I would understand ONE, but 3 out of 4?!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A weapon is only as good as the man carrying it. Sounds like your platoon decided to make the sad sack carry the heavy stuff. Sounds pretty realistic to me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flamethrower teams were not known to be manned with the dredges of the outfit. It took a lot of guts to lug that gas tank around on your back. That high ratio of non-shooters does seem out of wack. Kind of like my "Elite" squad that decided to route towards Abbott's Tigers and MG teams (Across the open from woods) when all they had to do is run back 20m to a reverse slope, their HQ and safety.

Either its a bug or bad programming. Realistic it is not.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Flamethrower teams were not known to be manned with the dredges of the outfit. It took a lot of guts to lug that gas tank around on your back. That high ratio of non-shooters does seem out of wack. Kind of like my "Elite" squad that decided to route towards Abbott's Tigers and MG teams (Across the open from woods) when all they had to do is run back 20m to a reverse slope, their HQ and safety.

Either its a bug or bad programming. Realistic it is not.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I re-watched the film on that turn Gyrene. The squad you mentioned headed for its best cover when it came under tank fire. It was heading for the rubbeled Church to seek cover. The AI must consider the rubbled building better cover then the tall Pines the squad occupied.

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

Guest Babra

I very recently noted the same occurrence with a man-pack flamethrower on area fire (v. 1.12). It did eventually fire, but not until about 50 seconds into the turn. For the rest of the time it just sat there. I thought it was odd, but since I've never seen that happen before, I didn't think much of it. I don't recall what the experience level/command status was (certainly no lower than reg), but it was fresh and not under fire. Might be worth a look-see.

I could track down flamethrower not firing problems to friendly units near it.

They need nearly 180 degrees free in front of them for the first few meters, and still great angles up to their maximum range. Any friendly unit in these areas will make them holf fire (and stand up so that they are shot...).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Nope, this'll remain at the top until it is answered.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it. Make demands!

Even if it is a bug it's not getting patched.

Time to move on with life.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

I could track down flamethrower not firing problems to friendly units near it.

They need nearly 180 degrees free in front of them for the first few meters, and still great angles up to their maximum range. Any friendly unit in these areas will make them holf fire (and stand up so that they are shot...).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had ordered a FT to torch a building where I suspected a German 44 rifle to be hiding. The supporting infantry unit for the FT was shot at and ran into the targeted building for cover. The FT didn't fire as it could see their buddies run right in front of them. It had no problems torching other building and I thought for sure it was going to light up his buddies.