Drawbacks of my beloved CM!!!

Ok guys, this is from the guys who brought you such posts as "are you my wife maddog" and...well hell i cant remember what i did last night. Anyway, i thought i would post some drawbacks that i have found over the course of many sleepless nights pouting over my lost sherman, or if that damn squad had just done what i asked of it (take out the tiger and then take out the bunker) Thats not too tough huh? Bunch of allied woosies. Now to the post. My tank crests a hill on hunt and to my horror sees two tigers. "my god" I exclaim, perhaps not in those words, but I want to issue new orders to reverse the hell down the hill. My tank does not and attempts to mess with the tiger. Of course im in tears now, because I know my only sherman is going to be dead in a second. The lack of orders during the movie phase is tough. I have ordered troops to run to a position and they run right through swarms of enemy troops without stoping. What the smack? There are others but this post is too long. Ill be back though. You can count on that. Oh and PS. for all you people who told me to back away from my dog, or stop taking caffein pills, or other stuff like that, cool i thought that was funny. :rolleyes:

Well, you can find some solice in the fact that in CMBB, with morale factors for armor as well as infantry, you can be sure that when your BT crests that hill and finds 2 Tigers looking down on him, he'll rout and get the f* out of there as fast as possible. So at least that will be taken care of.

Note that none of this will affect CMBO, because as BTS have said, they will no longer make updates for this game.

Here's how you do it. When cresting any sort of ridge to engage the enemy, make the actually cresting part of the move order consist of about 10 very short hunt orders. Also, time it so that the cresting will take place relatively late in the action phase. The vehicle will stop nicely in a hull down position and engage the enemy. Then, at the beginning of the next orders phase, if you've run into more than you can handle, you can drag the next 'hunt' waypoint behind the tank and convert it to a 'reverse' order. Then you get instant reversal, without order delay.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

...interesting technique, cmplayer.

...currently being treated rather inhospitably by sPzKp paderborn. on the yank end of: 1 M26, 1 M24, 2 M4A3's(75), 1 M4A3(76), 1 M3A1 lost vs. 1 Mk VIE, 1 Mk VG, 1 Mk VG(L), 1 ostwind knocked out.

fortunately, the 3rd armored infantry are some real sonsabitches by spring o' '45. thus far, fought off two consecutive, german counterattacks, each supported with heavy armor(mercifully, we have a battery of 105's on standby...). christ, don't the krauts know the war is lost?

Hey CMplayer,

How does that mini-step strategy differ from a hunt-reverse-hunt-reverse series of commands. I agree that command stacking enables fast reaction, I don't immediately see the advantage of multiple hunt commands if they are all in the same direction.

PS Peter Panzer, your game got a good chuckle from me.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Then, at the beginning of the next orders phase, if you've run into more than you can handle, you can drag the next 'hunt' waypoint behind the tank and convert it to a 'reverse' order. Then you get instant reversal, without order delay.<hr></blockquote>

Cool!

:cool:

Michael

Then, at the beginning of the next orders phase, if you've run into more than you can handle, you can drag the next 'hunt' waypoint behind the tank and convert it to a 'reverse' order. Then you get instant reversal, without order delay.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]<hr></blockquote>

Errrmmm... the only problem with this method is that it isn't a reverse order the tank will be executing it will be a "show my arse to the enemy as I head back in the direction I came" order. One fraught with much greater danger than the hunt, reverse, hunt method methinks.

Regards

Jim R.

Well actually CombatGeneral sounds like he's playing CM as an RTS. The part about his infantry running right through enemy troops sounds abit like he's not carefully advancing like any good CombatGeneral would do. ;)

The thing about his Sherman, what is he doing plotting the Hunt Command beyond the hill crest? Well, at least that's how I interpret the action. Because the Sherman, if he had been at the end of his Hunt Order would probably indeed Reverse away.

Actually his mistake was not purchasing a Firefly V.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Errrmmm... the only problem with this method is that it isn't a reverse order the tank will be executing it will be a "show my arse to the enemy as I head back in the direction I came" order. One fraught with much greater danger than the hunt, reverse, hunt method methinks.

Regards

Jim R.<hr></blockquote>

I believe that after dragging the next "Hunt" order behind his tank, he changes it to a "Reverse" order to prevent his tank from mooning the Tiger. Sounds like a nice little trick.

Others can address tank movement techniques; I just had another irrelevant comment. Combat General, if you are down to your last Sherman and there are still two live spitting Tigers over the next rise, the least of your problems is your tankers playing Rambo. I don't care how much you razzle and how much you dazzle, you are simply toast LOL.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dumrox:

I believe that after dragging the next "Hunt" order behind his tank, he changes it to a "Reverse" order to prevent his tank from mooning the Tiger. Sounds like a nice little trick.<hr></blockquote>

on turn two after yr tank has about vrested, drag the RED "hunt" command into the reverse position. Click the red hunt cube. Hit "r" and it changes to reverse. clicking any movement cube/waypoint, and hitting "r", "u", "f", or whatever changes the cube/waypoint to THAT movement command

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by russellmz:

clicking any movement cube/waypoint, and hitting "r", "u", "f", or whatever changes the cube/waypoint to THAT movement command<hr></blockquote>

Well, if that works then it just goes to show that you learn something new every day. Was the ability to use the keyboard commands like this ever documented in the manual? Just curious.

Regards

Jim R.

Errrmmm... the only problem with this method is that it isn't a reverse order the tank will be executing it will be a "show my arse to the enemy as I head back in the direction I came" order.

Jim R.<hr></blockquote>

You convert the hunt command to a reverse when you need to implement it. This can also be done with the mouse, you don't have to use the keyboard commands.

Converting waypoints is a MUST if you want to play deftly, in many situations.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jack Trap:

How does that mini-step strategy differ from a hunt-reverse-hunt-reverse series of commands. I agree that command stacking enables fast reaction, I don't immediately see the advantage of multiple hunt commands if they are all in the same direction.

<hr></blockquote>

All I want is for the AFV to stop and engage with a nice stack of unused movement orders in front of it. Then I can decide for myself if I want to haul a** out of there. Hunting forward and reversing probably works too, but I've had decent results with this method.

As for them being in the same direction, they are literally stacked on top of each other, maybe 10 within 5 scale yards. There only point of having that many is to make sure to have a few waypoints left after the tank halts to fight.

You convert the hunt command to a reverse when you need to implement it. This can also be done with the mouse, you don't have to use the keyboard commands.

Converting waypoints is a MUST if you want to play deftly, in many situations.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]<hr></blockquote>

Ah well, adding this method to my existing, it seems, sadly lacking level of expertise should improve my obviously piss poor results in the Rugged Defence board no end.

Regards

Jim R.

Ah well, adding this method to my existing, it seems, sadly lacking level of expertise should improve my obviously piss poor results in the Rugged Defence board no end.<hr></blockquote>

Your welcome.