Black Wednesday: Spanish on the East Front

Any one know how you might model both Spanish AND German troops in the same Scenario for the east front.

I have an old board game with 5 gagillion little chits that I never actually got to play called Black Wednesday. It is composed around a large Soviet assault on Spanish positions south of Leningrad just as the Germans were being thrown back.

I would really love to model, but I'm not quite sure how. I think the Spanish were using German kit, but I've no clue what their uniforms look like. And if I wanted to go by the game, I would have to have German reinforcements. I guess I could use HEER for the spanish and SS for the Germans.

The scenerio will be HUGE!!! 3 Soviet infantry battalions with armor suport attacking a Spanish battalion with some extra companies attached. The Soviets have a TON of artillery, especially prep bombardment.

I guess the battle was called Black Wednesday because of the catostrophic casualties on both sides.

So if any can think of how to resolve German and Spanish forces together, plus any other comments, I'ld appreciate it.

Hey, it's never too early to start thinking about Scenario design for CMBB.

Pete

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: olandt ]

I agree on your point about starting the scenario design for East front now, with the Frontovik mod coming on the GD for CM (when I wish I knew...). I have already nearly finished (all but breifings) a Kustrin to Seelow linked series of 4 battles. The Polish paratroops do ok as guards (I havent tried to mod uniforms yet), and tanks like the Pershing (JS1or2), or Churchill (T series) do the trick for me untill BtoB. I think the Blue Division will have to be a mod, as I didnt see it on the BTS nationalities list. I was hoping for Wallonian units myself...

Spanish toops of "Division Azul" wear the same uniform than Heer troops, because they are included there (not in the Waffen SS as other volunteers).

Two differences: many of them (specially officials) wear a blue shirt under their jackets, as part of the "falangist" uniform used in the Spanish Civil War.

They also woven a shield worn on the upper right arms in their national colors of red/yellow/red surmounted by the title "ESPAÑA.".

Too difficult to melt Division Azul and Heer in the same scenario with different uniforms.

Ah!, we play guitars, not mandolines ...

benpark, the "Frontovik" mod is coming along great. I have Russian language files, good uniforms with more in the pipeline even a partisan uniform, I would like to redress some existing vehicles into lend-lease markings. I also have about a dozen scenarios with only one monster scenarios set in Stalingrad with over a 100 inf units per side left to do.

Now if you want Spanish speech files how about finding a gamer that speak Spanish and that can be factored in.

You mentioned some battles, keep them and mention them to Mike D and he might offer them at his site.

We will beat BTS to the east front and once Mike Dorosh is back from a month trip it will be hosted on his site. So shortly you will be fighting in Russia.

MikeT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olandt:

Any one know how you might model both Spanish AND German troops in the same Scenario for the east front.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy. Use Germans. The Blue Division was unfiformed and equiped by the Germans. I have every intention of doing a Krasna Bor scenario when CMBB come out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by benpark:

I think the Blue Division will have to be a mod, as I didnt see it on the BTS nationalities list. I was hoping for Wallonian units myself...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Blue Division has to be in CMBB :mad:

Please BTS you have to have the Spanish on the Eastern Front.

SS Peiper

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: SS Peiper ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olandt:

I guess the battle was called Black Wednesday because of the catostrophic casualties on both sides.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: olandt ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me lift the level of obviousness by adding my own guess: I guess the battle was called Black Wednesday because it happened on a Wednesday.

Hey Olandt, a few webs on the "Division Azul"

La Division Azul

((you can see the right-shoulder patch/shield -only difference with Heer standard uniform-, alongside with the same patch on the helmet -right side-. Apart from the blue shirt, a few of them wore a swan patch on the uniform, spanish medals,...))

Blau Division La division española de voluntarios

((especially nice maps , and notes on uniforms))

Los soldados españoles del III Reich

((contains, among other things, another map of K-B Mapa Krasny Bor ))

))

Regards.

((Hola Leta, Bienvenido a este Foro))

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danyzn:

Let me lift the level of obviousness by adding my own guess: I guess the battle was called Black Wednesday because it happened on a Wednesday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, It was a 2 day battle. "Black Wednesday to Thursday" just doesn't have the same ring. tongue.gif

Thanks for the great info, links, and ideas. Anyone know if large walls will be modeled in BB. Something one story high? In addition, I remember a strong point in the fortifications. I would love to see concrete shelters for infantry too, not just pillboxes.

The Gamer's "Black Wednesday" is actually one of my old favorite boardgames. It has 2 1/2 divisions of the Red army (+ armour support) attack one regiment of the Blue Division (250th div official designation). Mind you; the initial defenders vaporated in their trenches by a prep fire lasting 3 hours, consisting of approx 12 battalions of heavy arty.

The see-saw fighing for the village of Krasni Bor later on would probably make for a better CM scenario / operation...

Regards,

Jens

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leta:

Ah!, we play guitars, not mandolines ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bugger Geocities and they're acursed flood control! In the picture that's not there, a bunch of Division Azul soldados were sitting around, one playing a mandolin, and the other --- yes! --- a guitar.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paco QNS:

Hey Olandt, a few webs on the "Division Azul"

La Division Azul

((you can see the right-shoulder patch/shield -only difference with Heer standard uniform-, alongside with the same patch on the helmet -right side-. Apart from the blue shirt, a few of them wore a swan patch on the uniform, spanish medals,...))

Blau Division La division española de voluntarios

((especially nice maps , and notes on uniforms))

Los soldados españoles del III Reich

((contains, among other things, another map of K-B Mapa Krasny Bor ))

))

Regards.

((Hola Leta, Bienvenido a este Foro))<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great stuff Paco!