I came all the way to Normandy, but all I got is this stupid install snag

hello gents:

...while i was installing my recently delivered copy of the game, a few questions arose...

**certainly it is possible to play the game from one's hard drive, right?**

...you see, despite running the "full install" and creating a shortcut to my desktop of the .exe file (from the "cmbo" folder created on my drive), whenever i attempt to play, i receive a message that the cd-rom is required even though it is in the drive. creating a shortcut from the actual play disk to my desktop solves this issue, but is that really necessary?

...about the 1.05 patch...

**does the 1.05 .exe file need to be moved to the files on the actual play disk?**

when i moved the 1.05 .exe to the "cmbo" folder on my hard drive the update did not appear on the lower right-hand corner of the main screen, why?...

...i could use a few vets to help me get started, thanks in advance...

gunnergoz:

first, thanks for the quick reply. well, i double clicked and was immediately greeted with a black screen and an unresponsive system (ctrl-alt-delete saves the day)...what say you? bad download maybe? also, do you have any thoughts on my first question as well?

again, my thanks...

You should also be installing the last patch, 1.12. (unless you need 1.05 to view an AAR or somefink.) And you only need the CD in the drive to launch the game, but you might as well leave it there since it's not like you are going to play anything else for a while. If your computer isn't seeing the disk there is something wrong. Post in the tech support area and you will get some help pretty quickly.

...the version i received in the mail is version 1.12...according to the 1.05 "readme," the 1.05 patch is all i need in order to update to the latest version of the game, correct/incorrect?

alright, i posted on the "tech support" board as well..

...is this what you fellows refer to as the "fog of war?"

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]

...a nip, a tuck and i don't really know why, but all seems fine now - quite odd - sorry about all that. perhaps i was a bit too anxious to begin...

so, 1.12 is the most current version, yes?

Pvt Ryan:

aw hell, no need for that, I appreciate your effort...

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monty's Double:

Er guys, he says it's working now. My guess is he isn't listening any more. Let's give him a couple of months for his CMBO Honeymoon. Some time around August he's going to want to know about mods. Hehehehehehe.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D

...ahh yes, the mods - i believe i lost count somewhere around download number 40....

...i don't think i have ever come across a game with such a consistently high level of independent work both in quality AND quantity.... honestly, are these guys chained up somewhere?