Anyone ever see any amazing naval games?

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Janes Fleet Command is fun, but ya kind of have to micromanage to much, Larry Bond's Harpoon 4 should be landing sooon.

Yeah, a guy in Florida mad a name game called Warships, but it took a 60 meter by 60 meter space to play in (convention style). But it was the grog heaven warship game of all time. The one game I played of it as a subcommander (Leyte Gulf) was a gas, but I had to turn it over to another because battles took like 72 hours to finish.

Needless to say it was not a resounding success, but his source books are still the best comilation of weapon caps, armour, turn radius and other ship data I have ever found in one place.

Regarding "Fighting Steel":

You may have a look at the add-on

"Fighting Steel in the North Atlantic (FSNA)"

which is a free add-on for FS and adds a

strategic campaign for that basically tactical game.

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.german-navy.de/fs_fsna.htm

Marcus

------------------

Alle Maschinen voraus Große, Ruder hart Backbord. Neuer Kurs wird Zwo-Eins-Null.

There was a pretty good one by Microprose called Task Force 1942. Outdated by todays standards, graphics etc but unlike Fighting Steel land came into play. I thought the scenarios depicting the actions around Savo Island were pretty good. I think there was a scenario editor too.

As to where you would find it, I have no idea.

Harpoon

It was one of the first real time games but, since it dealt with ships and planes, the pace was manageable. Not sure what the latest incarnation is, but Harpoon IV is supposed to be done this summer according to the SSI website. I was supposed to be done last fall, then last winter, then this spring....Hope that means they're perfecting it.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Originally posted by Juardis:

Harpoon

It was one of the first real time games but, since it dealt with ships and planes, the pace was manageable. Not sure what the latest incarnation is, but Harpoon IV is supposed to be done this summer according to the SSI website. I was supposed to be done last fall, then last winter, then this spring....Hope that means they're perfecting it.

oooops, sorry, just reread the original post. Harpoon set in modern day times, not WW2 times. Still worth it though.

I'm currently involved in developing a very cool naval wargame called "Raider Operations". It features both tactical battle scenarios and a full strategic campaign (including some land ops) that will generate tactical battles when opposing ships and fleets meet. The game can be played solo or TCP/IP, with competitive, cooperative, and team multi-player options.

The graphics are nothing to get excited about but the gameplay is quite excellent. In fact, I pride myself in thinking that it's the "CM" of naval wargames. If interested, check it out here:

http://www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Guest Michael emrys

I had a game called Victory at Sea from a company called 360 Pacific. It had the most amazing number of crashes I've ever seen. Does that count?

wink.gif

Michael

Originally posted by Boozer:

I wish I could find a naval game

For you? Check out Hasbro's "Battleship." If you have the patience to read the manual "Electronic Battleship" is another possiblity.

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

"I'd rather the Bees than your Mask of Shame." - Stuka

The True Blue Aussie Slang Source

The Unofficial Vic Bitter Website

I think that Microprose's Task Force 1942 was one of the best naval games ever put out.

Unlike the flawed algrithms of Fighting Steel, it used a full 3D model for gunnery. It was way more believable than FS. In FS, if the shot didn't calculate a "straddle" or "direct hit", it just diappeared, no splashes, nothing. I wish SSI had taken hints from Microprose. The game has no built in campaign that TF1942 had. It was basicly an incomplete game.

I also wish that there would be a sequel to TF1942, but with the luke warm reception that FS got, I doubt it. TF1942 did it ALL right!

frown.gif

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"