Computing Speed

If scenarios are medium to large the time taken to compute each turn seems to take forever, (actually about 2-3 minutes). Is this "Normal".

My machine is an 850Mz Athlon, 128M RAM, and Voodo 3000 3D graphics board,(Graphics and actual action play is fine). Would extra memory help?

------------------

foamy

ive got a p3 533 w 256 megs and my turns dont go much faster

\

i think that the larger the map and the more complex the orders (on bolth sides) thats how long u got to wait

and usualy big maps = lots o units smile.gif

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foamy:

My machine is an 850Mz Athlon, 128M RAM, and Voodo 3000 3D graphics board,(Graphics and actual action play is fine). Would extra memory help?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shatter here

Not a newbie just changed names Shatter50 to Shatter

I have found the bigger the map the more mods, especially hi-res grass slow systems down. I just bought this PC (spared no expense to play CM). Pentium 4, 1GHz procss, 45Gig hard drive, Voodoo 5500. My point being, I have a rather large scenario going as we speek and is not to slow. One thing if you jack up the percentage of troops on either side, and the scenario is already large, PC slow to a snails crawl.

Anything larger than Battalion, and then increase the percentage is going to be one slow scenario, and mods (hi-res especially) will slow down even more. This thread has been mentioned several times. For more info do a search.

Hope this help smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 01-13-2001).]

Dogface has it correct. The more troops and the more complex the orders (and potential action), the longer it takes for the computer to calculate the turn.

Hi-res mods, don't really have an impact on turn calculations. That is more to do with video card memory.

As for foamy's system. Another 128 MB wouldn't hurt. Memory is dirt cheap now. You can get another 128 MB for about $35. If your Voodoo 3 is only 16 MB, then there's another bottleneck in framerate. With a decent system like you got, you need to look into getting a Geforce 2 card, probably a 64 MB version. Throw away that 2 year old Voodoo 3 and get you a new card.

I'm pretty positive it's all in the processing. Since CM is calculating basically NOTHING as you sit and watch yuor playback movie, it does all those complex math problems before the movie. It's figuring every single move, shot, hit, damage, spotting, line of sight, etc... PLUS making the movie for you during that time.

I don't play huge scenarios because my 380 mhz would probably take forever...

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 01-14-2001).]

The longest I could get a turn to valculate with a 5000 point assault was 60 seconds on a G4/500 at the mid game point. In terms of processing power, that is similar to a PIII 1000 or a PIV 1400 (which gave up processing power for mhz since most people buy the raw number rather than the work done).

One thing you may have happening is background processes. With my Mac, I can reconfigure it to game mode through a preset. You may be able to make a lean and mean version of windows, throwing out anything that wont effect the game, and get a boost.

Extra RAM is always good. Although anything over 256 isnt really going to make much difference if your using Windows 98. One has to be careful about what type of ram your buying. Not all 128 modules of RAM is as cheap as $35. Depends on what type your motherboard can use.

The newer Pentium IV 1.4 Ghz chips are not as fast as the Pentium III w/1 GHz chips. Even the Athlon Thunderbirds are faster than the PIV 1.4 GHz. Now this depends on which O/S your using. The Pentium 4 was originally suppose to be for MicroSoft's new Whistler O/S but Intel had to rush them out the door to fend off AMD's new Thunderbird chips. Instead of the 13micron size Intel used the existing 18 micron die set. The new P4 chips built on the 13 micron die set will come out later in the second half of the year and they will be superior to those AMD now has.

So if you plan to upgrade I suggest holding off till they come out. They will be made to take full advantage of Whistler. Then again we dont know for sure if Whistler will 1)Come out on time. 2)Be as great as MS says. Early beta tests say it has great promise. We will see.

My game machine I'm using currently has a P3 500 MHz chip w/128 MB of RAM, Voodoo3 card, 13mb HD, and Windows 98se and its processing the CM battles no slower than anyone else's games I'm hearing about here on the board.

~Skott~