CM Military Terms: Their Spelling and Use

Originally posted by Check6:

Why do we get the silly Englandish spelling of alphabetize, recognize and surprise, but the nice English spelling of defense?

Because I'm being an arse. (or is it ass?)

We actually use both types of spelling here in Canada; it would appear the "silly" spellings (with the zed (not zee)) are winning out. I usually use the Z myself but don't freak out one way or another.

You'll notice my posts on this forum are a little schizophrenic with regards to the "u" in armor or armour, and I tend to use whichever seems more appropriate - ie if talking to, or about, Americans, I drop the "u". Sometimes. If I feel like it.

Madmatt,

I hereby formally request that you put this thread on probation. I started it as a serious effort to educate and inform, but the thread has been hijacked through multiple digressions on extraneous and contentious topics. It's even been tainted by a dip in the toxic waters of political correctness. Bleah!

If this thread isn't back on course soon, then please lock it.

Thanks!

John Kettler

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Oh well...I could care less.......(!)

In an attempt to return this thread to sobriety, I thought that I might question Michael’s use of this idiom. I remember that idiom as being, "I could not care less." By dropping the "not," you’re actually inverting the meaning of the original idiom.

I could care less, but in this case I actually care more.

What say you?

-Lurker

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Actually its (or is that "it's"?) not a good one, ...

It's is correct. It's is a contraction for It is and has no other meaning; all other uses (e.g. to show possession by "it") use its.

John, thank you from the bottom of my heart for spelling out (heh) the difference between "affect" and "effect;" this is one of my pet peeves. Someone even recognized the psychological/emotional "affect!" However, I think this thread is (a) doomed from the start and (B) not really going to help the quality of spelling on the forum.

And with respect to the "could/couldn't" care less discussion: this is probably a case of an intentional (if unconscious) violation of one of Grice's conversational maxims. Much the same as when you say for example, "Yes, I love getting hit on the head with a big rock," context makes it obvious (I hope) that you are not being as truthful as possible, and this deliberate and obvious violation of the maxim serves as emphasis. Thus: "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less," when used in conversation, can actually mean exactly the same thing.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Originally posted by Lurker:

In an attempt to return this thread to sobriety, I thought that I might question Michael’s use of this idiom. I remember that idiom as being, "I could not care less." By dropping the "not," you’re actually inverting the meaning of the original idiom.

I could care less, but in this case I actually care more.

What say you?

-Lurker

I think saying "I could care less" is a non statement, in the same league as "I could have chicken for dinner." Kind of a "who cares"?

"I could buy potato chips later on."

"So what?"

Think of it this way - you've all used the phrase "I couldn't agree more."

Try saying "I could agree more." Yes, it says something, but it lacks the impact of the first statement. "I could scratch my balls if they were itchy." Yeah, great.

"I couldn't not disagree less." (Still working on this one...)

There was a neat article on the net about a guy who in the 1960s, and I believe it said the emphasis was the key - they said "I COULD care less..." and it was said in such a way that the assumption on the part of the listeners was that he was inferring by extension "...but I don't see how..." (!)

The way I hear it in spoken conversation, with the emphasis on care..."I could CARE less..." in situations where they really don't care at all, kind of lets you know the speaker had adopted it as verbal shorthand and really doesn't know what they're truly saying. More verbal diarreah for the garbage pile that is the English language.

I also just about went crazy at my last job hearing people say "thank you muchly." DOH!

The English language is a garbage pile?? Certainly it has a checkered history and a complex amalgam of sources and influences, but a garbage pile? Around 500,000 words and writers like Shakespeare and Milton who've put them to exceptional use. It's a thing of beauty, not to mention the closest thing to a world language (used widely on the Internet and in science, commerce, entertainment, etc.).

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.