Why don't the Germans get Rifle Grenades

Rifle grenades did extend the footsoldier's reach but they have several tactical disadvantages, the biggest being that they must be fired with a blank cartridge! Accidentally fire a bullet through your rifle grenade and it's liable to ruin your whole day. Modern rifle grenades from companies like Mecar of Belgium are either of the 'bullet trap' design or allow the bullet to pass thru.

Actually during the bocage fighting, german rifle grenading had a rebirth. The close ranges made this an effective activity. Even the german 50mm mortar had a second life as they were reissued.

I read that the germans used a wooden bullet to launch the things. Sometimes in desperation when low on ammo, they would fire these resulting in nasty wounds.

The US rifle grenade collection included purpose built, like the antitank version, and literally grenade launchers that would hoist an infantry grenade. Also a 60mm mortar launch capability.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Echo:

I believe the Germans did use a rifle grenade bundle, that had 5 or 6 "masher" grenades on it. Not modeled in CM though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was not a rifle grenade bundle, but developed before the teller mine was introduced to allow individual infantry to fight tanks. It was laid on the back engine grill of the tank by hand, and was useful before the intoduction of the Tank Infantry by the Russians. The grenade was 3-8 grenade heads wired around a potato masher and was no unstable to throw well. It was usually made just prior to use and was never "official".