An interesting tidbit from BTS, again.

Seems my last post on this was sucked into the lost corners of cyberspace.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTS wrote:

Oh... and another point to keep in mind. And that is vehicles currently do not have Morale. In real life engagements 10 Shermans would have taken 3-6 casualties and then the remainder would have withdrawn, leaving the AT guns intact (higher chance at least). Right now players, and the TacAI, keep things going as a slugfest. CM2 will change this when optional vehicle Morale is introduced. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might deal with the question of whether non-lethal hits degrade vehicle crew performance that as discussed recently. Not sure though.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Enoch ]

This is what I (and others) have been waitng for. Tank crew morale, it is just as important as inf. morale.

As I read trough my WWII books, the authors state many times, Russian tank companies backing off.

For example, a Russians tank battalion drives on toward a village. The Germans set up several AT guns around the village overlooking the main entry point to the village.

The German guns open up on the Russian spearhead, knocking out 5-8 tanks. After seeing their comrade's tanks burning the rest decide to withdraw and return another day.

This is exactly what needs to be added, tank crews panicking.

Good Job BTS!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

This is what I (and others) have been waitng for. Tank crew morale, it is just as important as inf. morale.

This is exactly what needs to be added, tank crews panicking.

Good Job BTS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya damn skippy son. But I would like to see PLATOON withdrawls corresponding to tank PLATOON morale.

Sounds like things are shaping up.

Lewis

Hmm, sounds promising. But The Berli is in details, as they say. While I cheer any improvements to this glorious Tactical Sim, I imagine it will take some getting used to. We will need to change our thinking. Some crew morale effects are modeled already , IMO..(tanks backing out under smoke when faced with a scary bad guy).

Look forward to hearing more.. smile.gif

I read that bit about tank morale too. The only question I have is this. If you cannot communicate with your fellow tankers, and you do not have LOS to them, then how in the world are you gonna know when to back off? Seems to me that if you were part of a 4 tank platoon and your 3 buddies just bought it but they were out of sight, then you would have no idea that you were suddenly alone, unless of course you had a radio which early war Russian tanks did not have.

Good point, although this might also partially offset the annoyances of the current spotting system - if those tanks instantly share spotting info with each other, it's only fair that their morale is tied to each other too.

Incidentally, the global morale system already has the same limitation that you mention - losses to your force affect all of your remaining troops, even if they're across the field and should have no idea that B Company just got wiped out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

I read that bit about tank morale too. The only question I have is this. If you cannot communicate with your fellow tankers, and you do not have LOS to them, then how in the world are you gonna know when to back off? Seems to me that if you were part of a 4 tank platoon and your 3 buddies just bought it but they were out of sight, then you would have no idea that you were suddenly alone, unless of course you had a radio which early war Russian tanks did not have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about you, but if I started noticing a lot of columns of smoke on my side of the line, I would start getting distinctly nervous.

:eek:

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I don't know about you, but if I started noticing a lot of columns of smoke on my side of the line, I would start getting distinctly nervous.

:eek:

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I dunno... it could be the enemy recklessly advanced their AFV's to your side of the battlefield and your comrades have succesfully managed to have knocked them out.

One rider however, when your coy. commander checks with battallion about what all the smoke is about over where coy. B is operating and battallion starts getting evasive... your company's troops immediately take a 20% morale hit!

Regards

Jim R.