Terrain That Shows Elevation Well

Hi,

I've been using DD's Terrain mods since they came out. I love them, but I still have a hard time telling the difference between elevation levels. I lightened my monitor, changed the gamma in the game, nothing.

So, I was wondering if there was a terrain mod out there (grass) that looks good with DD's trees and bases, and also with PanzerTruppen's sweet building mods.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as the place to download them. I went looking this morning and couldn't find anything subdued enough that I really liked, and just wanted to see what the consencus was.

Thank you

Keith

------------------

------------------------

CultureK.comThe experience will last a lifetime

Weel, you've a choice :

* either use "gridded" terrain : I got a DD gridded terrain set called "dfhiresgrid" and I *think* I got it at the Outpost

* Else, if you don't like grids, use a paint prog to lighten/darken the bmps as you see fit (1550 to 1569 being used for the various elevations)

One way or the other I expect it would solve your problem smile.gif

A long time ago I used Option #2, and changed the brightness level of Desert Fox's subdued grass to easily show elevation. I HIGHLY suggest this method, as I have NEVER felt the need to go looking for another grass mod since doing this.

Looks good with my other terrain, and shows elevation perfectly.

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

Originally posted by medlinke:

So, I was wondering if there was a terrain mod out there (grass) that looks good with DD's trees and bases, and also with PanzerTruppen's sweet building mods.

Hi,

I'm still wondering why my mod haven't been reviewed in any sites. So very few people know about it. It's called Wolf's hi-contrast grass mod or something like that. It has all the things you are looking for; Easy-to-see-elevation, fits with DD's stuff and Panzertruppen's buildings.

The main purpose of making this mod was to make terrain elevation more clear. I had hard time figuring elevation out before. Not anymore, thanks to my mod. The best thing is, you can think about tactics much more easily when you really can see the terrain elevation.

Only bad thing about this mod is that it gives you a little "blocky" look, but if you really want to see elevation you'll get that because CM engine can't smoothen the terrain tile edges. But it sure looks better than any gridded terrain.

You can go check some (older version) screenshots here:

http://www.wolffi.freeservers.com/index.htm

Another bad thing is that you can't get the new version anywhere but from me. CMHQ has the old one. But it looks like it's fading away.. It's been in the untested mods area for months now!

I think the only way to get the new version is to contact me with ICQ. (I can't email it, thanks to those crappy free www-emails)

My ICQ# 100251965

-Wolf

Old Dog's Subdued Velvet Grass shows elevations quite well. The low levels are a dark green while the high levels actually start turning brown near the top. The only time you get that "engine created" tile line is when you have a major change of elevation between two or more tiles. But gradual elevation changes are quite fluid.

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

OK, but if you can't post it nor send it, how can we obtain it frown.gif ? By ICQ ?? I don't have any crappy ICQ, neither...

Now, that's a damn good question! Wish I could solve this problem.. Madmatt doens't seem to be very interested about my mod anymore. So maybe I must put this mod to web myself. Any ideas where to put it? So it would be easy to download for everyone.

If someone has space and wants to take my mod and put it for download, please let me know. But as I said earlier, I can't send it with email.

Originally posted by Wolf^:

If someone has space and wants to take my mod and put it for download, please let me know. But as I said earlier, I can't send it with email.

if you email it to me I'll have a looksee and post it at Der Kessel. Matt usually has a quaity control on his mods, as we are doing at the Der Kessel.. but send it in and I'll give you some feed back, sometimes matt has to much time on his hands trying out new hair styles so he may have forgotten, if he didn't like it he would have told you though.

------------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

But I CAN'T email it.

BTW, here's what Madmatt said in his email to me:"As to your mod, its not bad, actually not bad at all."

Wolf.. you can't email it?? but you get emails.. hmm delema.. you mean you .. can you explain this to me? its to big to send? then send it in small packages..

Yeah, it's too big (~2.2mb) and biggest I can send is 512k. Ok, I'll send it in four or five parts?

ya thats no problem... btw what mailserver do you have.. try mailcity you can send and recieve up to 4MB in attachments. =)

I'm working on a series of what I call speckled grass. So far I have regular, spring, scortched and fall versions.

Regular:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41128393

Spring:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41478997

scortched:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41482383

I will later today post the fall/muddy version. Soon I will have adapted supplements on line.

I'm looking for a home for these mod files. They are quite big even when zipped (9.7MB) so help and advice would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by gunnergoz (edited 02-21-2001).]

here is what I made from everyone's suggestions. I took DD's mod and just used Fireworks to lighten / darken each texture from -35% to +20%

As you can see the transitions are easy from 1 level to the next, but I have noticed that jumps of 2 levels or 6% difference in color is noticeable. Perhaps making it a 4% would not be a bad idea, but for most scenarios, I think this should be fine. In the first time I tried it I came out with the level 19 just too light weighing in at +35% over the original, the textures just didn't look right. This one, while bright, doesn't make tree bases look bad.

here is the overhead shot:

overheadmod.gif

As you can see it's a smooth transition from 0-19, the buildings, etc, don't look out of place. I tried to put every common item minus units on the board.

Here is the isometric view:

isomod.gif

So, there you have it.

I can't distribute it without DD's permission, and it is 15 megs in size so I can't e-mail it. However it was really easy to do and I think anyone with a graphics program (other than paint) should have no problems replicating this look or tailoring it to their own preference.

Keith

------------------

------------------------

CultureK.comThe experience will last a lifetime