Mapping Mission - Any Top Tips & Handy Hints?

I've just started to use Mapping Mission - which is excellent by the way so many thanks to Tankersley for all the hard work to put this software together.

I was curious to know if anyone has any top tips and handy hints re using this package e.g. short cuts/quick/efficient ways of designing maps etc. i'm particularly curious as to the importing maps from scanned maps bit. what I've tried so far works OK, but it strikes me there are some neat short cuts. Any thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation!

I use 1:20000 maps with 5m contours as underlay. First of course you'd like to make sure you know which bits of a map you need and then do just those. Crop the background image if that helps you to stay focused. You can later expand that if you start to regret.

The first things I do on the map are elevations, because those are easiest to do when the background is still clear. But even before them I put in lakes, rivers and roads - so that I take them into account. Maybe marshes too.

5m contours are usually too coarse for the maps I make, and Mapping Mission probably exports them with 2.5 or 1.25 meter contours, so that there are 'leaps' between the CM map levels - 2, 4, 6, 8 or 2, 6, 10, 14... for this reason I normally also make the middle contours, e.g. 2.5 intervals, by using my own judgement. This makes the map less angular in CM. If the area is relatively flat, it still might be exported as 1.25 in which case I will put the missing intervals in place in CM editor, not MM.

After elevations are there, I will start putting other stuff on top of it, according to my own tastes and understanding of what the map symbols might mean in CM.

MAPPING MISSION & the CMBB Map Editor are not congruent re: the total # of elevations, CM will compress the total number of elevations to 20, if the total number of different elevations on the MAPPING MISSION map exceeds 20. In other words, if the total number of elevation levels on the *.map file exceeds 20, when translating MM elevation to CM elevation the highest elevations are reduced to Cm map level 19, or more accurately everything is evened out. The terrain is flattened. Example: I generated a 16 sq Km map *.cmf map of an area in Central Russia with MAPPING MISSION...flat as a sheet of glass. I generated four 4 sq Km *.cmf maps from sections of the original MAPPING MISSION map and the elevations were present. Generally, The smaller the *.cme/f map one generates, the more accurate the representation in levels. The important number is the total number of different elevation levels on the *.map file that one wishs to generate the *.cme/f from.

In addition: one has to, or seems to have to do the following

1) MM and NVIDIA do not get along, what takes 20 minutes to generate with an ATI card takes 2 HOURS + with an NVIDIA card, furthermore in order for ALL terrain features to placed properly, one must run it at it's slowest speed ( 30 ).

2) The "export resolution" level must match your current screen resolution

3) the elevation contour levels must match for accuracy

4) It can be frustrating to work with, good luck.

Originally posted by Alkiviadis:

1) MM and NVIDIA do not get along, what takes 20 minutes to generate with an ATI card takes 2 HOURS + with an NVIDIA card, furthermore in order for ALL terrain features to placed properly, one must run it at it's slowest speed ( 30 ).

It works with Detonator 30.82, but later drivers don't really work. It has to do with the CM map editor refresh rate or sumfink. Actually I have a quite recent thread about this in the Tech Support forum, maybe you would like to add your case there (gfx card, driver etc.)

Right now I otherwise use the latest driver, but when I need to export a map to CM, I temporarily uninstall 56.xx, install 30.82, do the exporting, then re-install 56.xx. It's a bummer. :( But it works. smile.gif

Originally posted by Sergei:

...Right now I otherwise use the latest driver, but when I need to export a map to CM, I temporarily uninstall 56.xx, install 30.82, do the exporting, then re-install 56.xx. It's a bummer. :( But it works. smile.gif

I'm just to lazy to go thru that, I know it takes just a second, but I just let it run when I go to sleep.

My rig: Athlon 64 3200+, Asus K8V delux MoBo, 1 gb ddr400 ram, BFG FX5950 ultra Graphics Adapter.

New applications are sometimes not compatible with older nVidia drivers. Like discreet's 3ds max support drivers for nVidia's Quadro graphic cards for example.

It takes me an hour to create a 2x2km map with only elevations. When I put terrain in, MM gets really messed up creating gaps and disturbed parts scattered all over.

PIV, 3.2GHz - 1GB DDR 400Mz - nVidia Quadro FX500

Elevations can be nicely calculated by MM if you create greyscale images of the map.

The size of the bitmap should be the same as the amount of tiles:

1 tile = 20 x 20 m

1 pixel = 1 tile.

2000 x 2000 meters = 100 x 100 pixels.

R:0 G:0 B:0 = 0 meters (0 %)

R:128 G:128 B:128 = 10 x 'mapcontours' (50%)

R:256 G:256 B:256 = 20 x 'mapcontours' (100%)

If you use a greyscale palette you can 'paint' your terrain. Black is the lowest point and white the highest. Invert your image if it should be the oposite afterwards.

With a bit of work it's possible to make an elevation map:

kwenlun.jpg

Kwenlun - fiction (free to use if you add my name)

A large map like this you can crop into peices and create an operation.

Greetings,

Nils

[ April 18, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

Many thanks for all your input guys. Some great top tips.

Eichenbaum I like the greyscale approach - do you use a scanned map as an un derlay for that then work from that? Next free time I'm off to try out some of these ideas. Keep em coming!

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by Sergei:

I use 1:20000 maps with 5m contours as underlay.

I might have misunderstood the above Sergei. When you use the 1: 20000 do you mean 1:200 000 i.e. 1mm = 200m. Also the contour interval assuming that its 1:200000 maps you are using is that not in 20m (the maps I have used in the past appear to have 20m contour intervals).

Many thanks for your comments.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by George Mc:

Many thanks for all your input guys. Some great top tips.

Eichenbaum I like the greyscale approach - do you use a scanned map as an un derlay for that then work from that? Next free time I'm off to try out some of these ideas. Keep em coming!

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

For the project I'm working on (OSF), I use a vector drawing program to create polygons with the correct greyscale color. Original maps can be used as background and with a mouse tablet it possible to re-draw the contours and fill them up with a solid color or gradient. With a photo-editor (Photoshop) you can soften and refine the images; with tools like 'Blur' and 'Smudge' for example. Most edit programs work with layers. If you keep the original map and the grey scale drawings seperated in layers it's possible to export bitmaps directly and import them in MM.

eichenbaum,

that's precisely what I had in mind when I added the greyscale import feature. Another possibility, if you have access to DTED elevation data or some other digital elevation survey data, is to write a small program to automatically generate the bitmap greyscale values from the data. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if elevation data was downloadable somewhere on the web, maybe at USGS.

The elevation export of Mapping Mission was a thorny problem; I wrote the program mainly to support the CMMC campaign, and I knew at the outset I needed to support a wide range of elevations (much more than can be handled in a single CM map). In the end I decided to try to make MM "do the right thing" when the user tried to export a map with a larger elevation range than CM will support, preserving the general landforms at the expense of exact elevation relationships. YMMV.

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

eichenbaum,

that's precisely what I had in mind when I added the greyscale import feature. Another possibility, if you have access to DTED elevation data or some other digital elevation survey data, is to write a small program to automatically generate the bitmap greyscale values from the data. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if elevation data was downloadable somewhere on the web, maybe at USGS.

You did a great job Tankersley. I cannot point out any tool for creating CM scenarios that is as useful as yours.

The greyscale maps are relative quick & easy to make once you're getting into it. You need make a perception of what you're drawing in grey colors.

OK, I already was familiar with it becasue I use to make scenarios for Redstorm's wargame Fore21 (for the PC).

Thanks Tankersley!!!

Now I hope we can solve the <u>problems</u> that occur with nVidia chipsets with newer drivers.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with MM,

I can't load previously saved games, which is very annoying since after a lot of work I can loss it all just because the export-to-CM process

I thought I can have a relation with the fact I was using NVida cards in my two computers, but now I'm using an ATI and I'm justt getting the same problem

Any idea?

[ April 27, 2005, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: magomar ]

I'd like to congratulate Tankersley for such a wonderful tool. I'm a enthusiast of Digital Terrain Elevation Models (DTM), when I discovered MM allow to import a greyscale bitmap codifiying the elevation of the terrain, I decided to obtain such bitmap images automatically, and yes, there are places where to find DTMs. But, in my experience, free DTMs tend to be low-resolution, I mean, elevation points are separated 100 or 200m, which is not enough for a detailed CM map. Then, I decided to buy a DTM with 30m resolution (yes, almost the 20m tile size in CM). In plain areas this is not noticeable, but in rugged terrains there is an enormous difference. Below you can see the difference between a 90m DTM and a 30m DTM

height-met90.jpg

height-met30.jpg

[ April 27, 2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: magomar ]

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by magomar:

Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with MM,

I can't load previously saved games, which is very annoying since after a lot of work I can loss it all just because the export-to-CM process

I thought I can have a relation with the fact I was using NVida cards in my two computers, but now I'm using an ATI and I'm justt getting the same problem

Any idea?

Magomar, I am running into the same problem.

I am just starting to use Mapping Mission, since recently you can finally consult B/W, 1:10.000 scale, topomaps of the Ardennes at following site: Bienvenue sur le site de cartographie détaillée et interactive

I save the selection as a bitmap, fill up the height-lines, and use it as underlay for mapping mission.

So far so fine, but I cannot re-open saved maps...any advise welcome. I was thinking maybe it is due to fact, I saved the map with the underlaying bitmap-image still visible?

Hi, my ears were burning so I thought I'd drop in on the forum and see who was talking about me. ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure just what the problem you're describing is. I've been waiting for further feedback on the upcoming version 1.11 of Mapping Mission; it had sort of slipped my mind, but I will try to remember to post it for download this evening, as the limited feedback I've received makes it appear that it solves the issues it was supposed to address. It may solve your problem. If not, send me an email describing the problem (and if possible one of the saved map files you are unable to load) and I'll look into it.

Regards,