x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this sounds lame but...in the Tech support board different people lurk than lurk here. Maybe try to post your problem there. I have a system that is almost half as fast as yours and don't have your problems.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Overheat of what? Processor has a Majesty-5 Cooler and runs stable at 65-70° C...(is this to much?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No new ideas but according to this document your Athy is good up to 90 celsius.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23794.pdf

If your power supply were the problem I'd guess that your system would be generally unstable.

Perhaps you will have to live with the jerkiness. My t-bird 700 is kind of jerky but then according to my friends so am I.

Sorry I can't help.

Scipio, easy enough to find out. Run it for several minutes, shut it off then open her up and feel inside. Ground yourself first. Are the components warm, hot, scorching?

Check the video card and chip and mainboard, et. al.

In any case you may want to put 2 fans in anyways, one to suck in fresh air, one to blow it out the back.

Looking at your original post, are you using any beta drivers for your video card?

~Tiger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

It appears that data been loaded from HD during the game, what makes the screen logically 'stumbling'. So the question is: why does it seem to happen only on my PC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have R.A.I.D. turned on for the HD by mistake?

gp

It is happening to me also, but I don't get so annoyed with it. I think it is becouse of VIA chip set, my both machines has VIA chipsets and same kind of little tackling happens in them all the time. Game doesn't scroll so smoothly thats it, but I don't get so bothered with it.

FSAA - Full Screen Anti Aliasing.

Advanced properites of your graphics display. Somewhere in there you'll see a setting for Anti Aliasing. Look it up and try disabling it if it is enabled. It makes the majority of games look great but with Nvidia cards there seems to be a framerate issue.

RAID - Random Array of Inexpensive Disks believe it or not. Not sure what that is all about though..

I've got the Via 133 chipset (and a Voodoo 5 5500), and no problems at all except, the infamous fuzzy text letters, (the fix being to run FSAA), and that the scroll is a little jerky with a battlefield full of smoke.

I would suspect some setting in the advanced settings area. Try experimenting with all of them. Turn them all off, and see how that effects the problem. If it gets better, then something in the advanced settings is the problem. If not, then try turning the sound off to see if the soundcard is somehow involved. Also be sure the monitor settings refresh rates are appropriate for your monitor. Other things further out I could think of might be the bios settings. Is Video bios shadow set to on or off. Try the opposite of what you find there. Same with Video cache. Not sure about your card, but the V5 5500 is known to have problems with shadowing and bios cache. 3DFX advised owners to turn it off, though on mine it doesn't seem to affect anything either way. Is your AGP set to on or off, and what aperature is it set to is another area to check. (I presume your card is AGP).

I don't remember the version of the Via drivers I have, but that 4.25 sounds like it. Head over to Via I guess and see what is the latest.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-18-2001).]

..Something I've just thought about in reading the last post.. AGP Aperture size. It should be half the size of your physical RAM. Please tell me if I am wrong, but mine's set to 128. I have 256meg of RAM. Misconception is that people think it should be half the size of graphics card memory which isn't the case.

RAID

Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.

If you have NT4.0 or NT2000 Unix, and probably Linux you can install multiple Hard Drives and spread out your system files etc... There are two flavors:

Disk Mirroring: This is done with two hard drives, if one fails, the "Mirror" immediately kicks on, and runs, while you go out and repair your original hard drive.

The other option, is used with three hard drives: With this config. you can spread out the os, and files on your pc across three hard disks for improved read write speed. These cant be done in WIN98/95, only in NT etc....

Hope this helped

Also, check to see how much free memory you are running with. I know the NVidia reference drivers can tell you. 256 MB can be eaten faster than you think.

I was astounded to learn that half of my physical memory (100 out of 192mb) was eaten on startup, before I ever launched CM. And my system is a very bare-bones gaming system. So, if you have a more 'production' orientated machine, your memory might be getting eaten by all of those nasty TSRs in your taskbar.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.