Off Topic re: WWII models (sorry)

Wanted some suggestions from people that model on which company makes the best WWII AFV models (details, scale, good directions, etc.) and what hobby stores are good for these sort of things. Not worried about where they are in the US but if they have a website, let me know. Thanks, Andy

Model kit manufacturers that produce good quality WW2 Military kits include Tamiya, Dragon, and Italeri (don't have the URL for that one), perhaps in that order as quality is concerned.

There are also a few Eastern European manufacturers out there, with ICM and perhaps Eastern Express producing the better quality kits from this region.

I personally tend to stick to 1/35 scale for the AFVs, and 1/16 scale for figures

As far as shops go, I can't comment because I do all my model shopping in Australia.

If you need any further advice or help, feel free to drop me a line.

Mace

For 1:35 offerings I'm generally a big fan of Dragon/DML and Academy. Some Academy offerings are re-releases of older kits by other manufacturers though, and aren't up to snuff with their new stuff. They make the best out-of-the box M18 or M113 you can find though.

------------------

My P-47 is a pretty good ship

And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip

I was thinking 'bout my baby and letting her rip

Always got me through so far...

I have to say it depends. The newer Tamiya stuff is very detailed and has beautiful fit and finish. Anything from TM35126 on should be a nice build. Dragon (DML) is hit and miss. The stuff they produce themselves is nice, but they also sell stuff from other companies under their name. For instance the DML StuG III G kit is not very good, it's based on a Russian Kit. The DML M4A3E8 (don't buy it - serious hull fitting problems and a really bad gun mantle) I bought had some of the same sprues as Tester's M4A1 (looks like a good kit). On the other hand the DML Jagdtiger I have as of yet to build looks like an outstanding kit. You can tell if a DML kit is a DML original if it has photo etch parts included.

Academy's newer stuff is also supposed to be very nice.

In a nutshell go with Tamiya first, and try to find a review on the other stuff before you buy. You can find all sorts of kits on e-bay. Rollmodels.com has the best prices on the net, but they have slow service. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Eric

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

AFV Club has some really nice armor and gun kits as well (1/35).

Older Acedemy/Minicraft is pure garbage, I'll never touch them again, BUT I've heard very good things about their newer stuff.

And Tamiya and Testors/Italeri are still awesome for quality and subject coverage.

-dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

For 1:35 offerings I'm generally a big fan of Dragon/DML and Academy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOH!!!

Yeh, I forgot Academy and AFV Club.

In both cases the more recent releases from both these companies have been very good

Mace

PS Hi KwazyDog, Babs! smile.gif

OK I am mainly a armor modeler that dabbles in playing CMBO. If you haven't built kits before or it has been awhile I would highly recommend starting with a Tamiya kit. Most are well designed and easy to build. DML are nice but use link to link tracks which are not easy to build.

As far as on-line hobby stores try: www.greatmodels.com

www. squadron.com (if you know what you're looking for)

Also try Tony Matteliano's Scale Model Index

at www.buffnet/~tonym/models.htm

Also Track-link is an armor modeler site with a good newsgroup www.track-link.net

Hope this helps,

Eric