My Infantry Squad Won't Fire It's Faust On An Approaching Wasp

I had a German infantry squad, Gerbils I think, who were in some woods shooting at some Airborne troops 200-250 meters away. Nearby was a Wasp, about 300-350 meters away and knowing this, I kept my squad

On the next turn, the Wasp turned around and started towards my men. My team didn't once even target the vehicle and kept trying to shoot the 3-4 airborne guys who were already pinned by my mg.

The Wasp gradually sped towards my men, got within 30 meters, and then flamed my squad, pinning them all. What I wanna know BTS is why didn't they use the faust? Aren't they expected to use it in this situation?

I can see from a realistic standpoint that maybe this happens from time to time but I hope this isn't something I'll see a lot. That team is sure to be dead now unless I can get them outta there. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling them to stay there, hoping they'll use the faust when they didn't do it before.

I guess what I really wanna know is, can you depend on an infantry team to use their fausts and gammon bombs and such on vehicles like this when they need to? You don't always have the luxery of keeping an AT team back there just in case.

Flamethrowers have extra morale effects on opponent units, they probably had their head down. The question about the kind of PzFaust is a valid one usually they work only good at50-70% of the rating, i.e. 30-45 m for PzFaust-60.

I had a Wasp knocked out by a Faust this week, so it certainly works in principle.

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I guess what I really wanna know is, can you depend on an infantry team to use their fausts and gammon bombs and such on vehicles like this when they need to?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you can't depend on it. If they're not suppressed, the vehicle hasn't seen them yet, and it's REAL close, they have a pretty good chance of using a faust. Otherwise, you just have to trust to luck - and this isn't a "it's a bug in the AI" thing. It takes guts to stand up in front of a tank on the middle of a battlefield and calmly aim a rocket at it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> It takes guts to stand up in front of a tank on the middle of a battlefield and calmly aim a rocket at it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, sure. but when it happens mainly 2 your own troops, it kinds of gets 2 u, doesn't it? i was playing aachen; there was this pzfaust guy stationed in a building b4 the plaza. he took out both my priest n sherm, while being suppressed by the infantry. mind u, my armour were actually flanking him! :cool:

I recently had a regular German rifle squad (out of command radius as it was night and heavy fog) take out a Hellcat in open ground that came from nowhere out of the gloom and sped by at high speed.

There wasn't even time for a targetting line to appear, the instant the hellcat appeared the (60m) faust was launched and the dead Hellcat rolled another 30m! Beautifull!

The squads alert status did not alter either, they just cooley blew the 'cat away at about 10m range and then went on about their business. smile.gif

You won't always see a targeting line when a faust is fired-- a squad can target its small arms in one direction and the faust in a different direction. The targeting line will go with the small arms.

As far as troops firing them-- faust range is close! Especially if you have a PF-30, and the rockets will draw attention (and fire!). Even the 60 and 100 m versions aren't a whole lot better-- they aren't as accurate as a schreck, and they'll still draw fire.

Re : My Infantry Squad Won't Fire It's Faust On An Approaching Wasp

Dear Colonel Deadmarsh,

Don't give up, recall all the wonderful moments you spent with your squads.

Sure these infantry squads can get frustrating at times, but did your try to see things from their point of view ? Try to take some time to listen to their real needs and feelings, this will lead to a deeper understanding of each other.

The main thing is to clarify issues that are causing pain, maybe you had some unrealistic expectations about these squads ?

PS : don't mind me, i just felt a bit silly today