Comments on the battlefield

I had what I think is a neat interface idea.

Would in not be nice to be able to pick a spot on the map and add a comment to it that you can switch on and off like place names?

It would have to switched off during an opponents turn, of course.

Imagine being able to stick a digital sticky note to a spot on the map, so that we can draw out our battle plans by marking and annotating points of interest.

I suppose its possible, but...why? I usually find that I can remember all my "points of interest" in between turns. No one can limit how long you look at a map before you plan everything out (unless you're in a TCP/IP game of course).

The only way I can see this being useful is if team multiplayer could be introduced as an actual feature. Being able to highligh things for your team mates would be nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I suppose its possible, but...why? I usually find that I can remember all my "points of interest" in between turns. No one can limit how long you look at a map before you plan everything out (unless you're in a TCP/IP game of course).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in the situation now where I have about 10 PBEMs going with 7 of the setups occuring within a day of each other (tournament). Try remembering who's supposed to go where on turn 1 when all your forces look alot alike.

I just wish there was some way of making notations to either the units or the map.

If some would fear to much micromanagement during the game, the feature could be limited to the setup turn.

The idea hit me while setting up a game. I was thinking it would be nice if we could mark out some planning points.

Perhaps available every turn would be unrealistic (which I agree with), but it would be acceptable before the mission begins.

The markers would be viewable throughout the battle, but not changeable.

StugIII,

Strange, because I am in a situation much like yours on a regular basis. Usually it doesnt take me much more then a look at the map and a slight glance at my units to remember where I thought the best route for advance is.

Thankfully, even if your units all look the same, the random maps CM provides for us gamers usually look very different from each other. Try to connect unit movements with landmarks to remember better. Also, if you constantly use similar unit-specific tactics (ie: "sneak the SMG troops around and engage the enemy only close up", or "Use the Wespe to get into position overlooking the town so it can start blowing up buildings") looking over the map should instantly remind you which of your units should do what. Especially if, as you say, you pick similar looking outfits with every game.

There's easy ways to get around simply problems like this one without the extra coding. Look at the bright side - remembering unit orders will help you stremghten your memory!

Commissar,

I admit I can usually remember where they're supposed to go but while setting up for this tourney i remember saying "damn, where were these guys going?"

I wouldn't want the good folks at BTS to have to worry about any more than they have to now.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

"Use the Wespe to get into position overlooking the town so it can start blowing up buildings")<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to blow up buildings, the you

will get the best mileage out of a Wirbelwind.

A Wespe completely sucks at

that job by comparison (in the game). Not

that this bears any relation to reality,

of course, or to the point of your post

either, sorry. It's just a big problem

with the game, which deserves attention.

--Rett

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

It sounds good, but I doubt it ever makes it.

... the paste to Paint or whatever is unworkable as the units look like globs of dirt using the "8" view, and for a large map where this feature would be best suited it's the only view that has a chance of capturing a good portion of the map.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

It sounds good, but I doubt it ever makes it.

... the paste to Paint or whatever is unworkable as the units look like globs of dirt using the "8" view, and for a large map where this feature would be best suited it's the only view that has a chance of capturing a good portion of the map.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use this feature quite often. And I think it works great. For large maps simply take shots of sections of the battlefield. You can put in text, draw arrows etc. You can then print and modify in pencil as the battle proceeds. A valuable tool when you don't get a turn back quickly and you may forget what you were trying to do with a particular placement strategy. ;)

• 3 months later...