Terrain Mods - A Comparison and Mini-History (Warning - a bit of bandwidth here!)

With all the current discussion about Magua's new terrain set, I thought it would be fun to do some comparison shots and look back a bit.

Here's the way CM looked when it came out. Wow! Sorta bright. And those buildings - can you say mish-mash?

TerrainCM.jpg

Then, along came Gunslinger, and a legend was born. Many newer players may have never even seen his mods sets, which are hard to find now. His vehicle work has been far surpassed, but his terrain mods still hold up very well (excepting perhaps his lack of attention to those buildings). Here is what he did to CM; an amazing transformation to a more subdued, realistic look.

TerrainGS.jpg

For a long time, folks fiddled with this or that indivdual terrain mod, but it wasn't until DD did his full terrain re-work that Gunslinger's name faded. About the same time as DD put out his series, Panzertruppen finally did something about those awful buildings (Magua did a sweet building set about this time as well, but we're featuring him below smile.gif) This combo of DD and Panzertruppen became "The Standard" that veteran players referred newer ones to most often. (Also shown, one of SurlyBen's recent and very popular sky mods.)

TerrainDDPz.jpg

Now, flash forward to June, 2001. Magua, still fiddling for all those months after bringing out his first building series, gives us a new full terrain mod set. It's the most complete terrain revision since Gunslinger's work, and stunningly well integrated and conceived. Suddenly bright is back!

TerrainMagua.jpg

And for thoes who are curious, and since I can :D, here is what I'm using now. Part Magua, part Gunslinger, part DD, and part Old Dog. It'll probably change next week... :D

TerrainNew.jpg

- Old Dog

P.S. These pics are also available at Old Dog's CM Central, for the present at any rate. Homestead has, however informed it's users that they are going to begin charging for their hosting in a month or 2 (the Incredible Shrinking Internet syndrome), and I'll probably not pay the monthly charge and continue the site after that time. Thanks for all the "hits" and support!

Pretty cool. Thanks for the history. Very interesting. Matter of fact because of this I'm going right now to get DD's terrain mod. As far as your site going off - well hell, time marches on, but thanks for the site in the past. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

P.S. These pics are also available at Old Dog's CM Central, for the present at any rate. Homestead has, however informed it's users that they are going to begin charging for their hosting in a month or 2 (the Incredible Shrinking Internet syndrome), and I'll probably not pay the monthly charge and continue the site after that time. Thanks for all the "hits" and support!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally use nullwww.7host.com for my free web hosting. It offers 50megs, and ftp. If you like working with ASP/XML, you can too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

What about Richard? He made a crapload of grass way back. I still used his grass before normandy came along<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep! Tremblett was my direct source and the inspiration for my Subdued Velvet. I tried to contact him about it via e-mail, but never heard back.

And let's not forget MDMP-1, with it's high-res trees and tree bases.

There are really a number of additional "Stations of the Cross" that I didn't show above. Had to weigh bandwidth vs. completeness smile.gif Maybe I'll add some more pics to my website - create a real historical record as it were.

- Old Dog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

Yep! Tremblett was my direct source and the inspiration for my Subdued Velvet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of your Subdued Velvet, I went to your websight and couldn't find it. Was I not looking hard enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Speaking of your Subdued Velvet, I went to your websight and couldn't find it. Was I not looking hard enough?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's at CM Outpost, Vanir... under Miscellaneous Terrain Mods. smile.gif

- Old Dog