All Quiet on The Eastern Front.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barrold713:

It always sounds better when Steve says it, so thanks to him for popping in for the reassurance.

I like the acronym of GPW and while I can think of some reasons why it might now be more appropriate I would like to see a discussion for alternatives. I think that this is definitely going to be a much larger focus in the near future so having a easy abbreviation that is agreeable would be a good thing I suppose.

I have been looking up the books I have about the Russo-German War (RGW?) and the keen interest I have in this area has been amplified by the impending release of CM:BB. Not having a game or demo to bounce around and discuss only tends to add to the number of questions that are bouncing in my head as to how this or that situation will be handled in CM:BB and at this point they are moot speculation no matter how much I am itching to see them answered on the big screen.

Another question I had for this group is whether the mod guys (and Kitty of course) are revving up to work on the new game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about calling the war WW2? And the area the Russo-German front.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

How about calling the war WW2? And the area the Russo-German front.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one might do that. Then again, it wasn't just Russians and Germans who fought. Soviet-German War would be better, but I like the ring of Great Patriotic War, and I like the way the acronym rolls, so I am going to stick with it. Not an issue for me, really.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Well, one might do that. Then again, it wasn't just Russians and Germans who fought. Soviet-German War would be better, but I like the ring of Great Patriotic War, and I like the way the acronym rolls, so I am going to stick with it. Not an issue for me, really.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going for the most accurate description, it would probably be the "Soviet-Nazi War", since both Russia and Germany had the peoples of many other countries fighting for them.

Of course, I also like simplicity, and calling it the "Eastern Front" makes it easy to recognize and seperate from the Western, African, and Pacific fronts.

I myself refer to it simply as "Pussy Galore". I see no reason not to break with fifty years of historical nomenclature and research, and enjoy explaining what I mean to everyone that asks in great detail.

Then again I pretty much refer to everything as "Pussy Galore", because, well, why not?

-dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dalem:

I myself refer to it simply as "Pussy Galore". I see no reason not to break with fifty years of historical nomenclature and research, and enjoy explaining what I mean to everyone that asks in great detail.

Then again I pretty much refer to everything as "Pussy Galore", because, well, why not?

-dale<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no.... that was Saigon, 1969. Different war, different part of the world, dalem.

I realise that it can be hard to keep all of these names straight, but still...

Regards,

MSP