desert mod website is up and running

Finally, after some serious delays mostly due to my own lazyness the Desert Fox Desert Rats website (www.dfdr.net) is now up and running. There are some downloads available already with more on the way, along with around 35 scenarios in the pipeline, plus a forum system so you can post comments.

Marco Bergman and Gordon Molex have created a great mod for the Sherman and Stuart to match Desert Rat paint scheme. As usual their work puts all others to shame.

Clubfoot and Audace have added their own mods to this desert with terrain changes and even mods to alter the Germans to look and sound like Italians, including some Italian vehicle mods with help from Marco. They have also included some scenarios to get you started.

A gamer sent me a nicely done German DAK uniform mod which I have sent in and I also posted my mods to terrain.

All of us involved in this project hope you enjoy what we have created and that all those fantastic modders will start adding on to what we have begun. I am sure they will easily exceed our efforts.

The mod seriously changes the look and feel of the game. So, please give it a visit and have some fun.

MikeT

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The site is up. But everyone please hold off on attempting any downloads until after an announcement to do so has been made. I assure you that most of what you can currently download simply won't function.

If anyone would like to send compliments to our webmaster, Logan, for donating both his time and skills whipping up the DFDR site, he can be reached at rakmaster@home.com

Give the man a hand!

Clubfoot.

I have download the Desert rats / Afrika mod and i must say, i am really impressed.

I am busy with South of Sidi Rezegh and i have a great time.

Thanks a lot all of you who made this Afrika mod

btw are there any uniforms for British Afrika troops ?

In documentory i saw they were mostly in short trousers and often without jacket.

Monty aka Moose

Hey, I got a random Idea: how about a quick description of installing a SECOND copy of CM, with your mods so we can enjoy the best of both worlds with little fuss? Is it possible, how do you do it, would it work? For the answers to these questions and more we look towards the DFDR folk...

Monty, I already have done South of Sid Rezegh. Problem is that when it comes to the briefings I am incredibly lazy. Since they do come from the game that cannot be mentioned I cannot use their name nor briefings. My attempt around copyright bits. I did email the company about getting OK to use them but never got an answer back. So wait till maybe Monday and I should have the Libya and Tunisia briefings done. Then comes Morocco, Lebanon, Egypt, Italy, Sciliy, Crete, Greece, .... then later on France, Norway, Poland, Finland,...then later.. more on that later.

MikeT

MikeT : when you say Crete, you do mean Operation Merkur ??? Say yes biggrin.gif Please...

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

http://www.geocities.com/alla_keefek/

Sorry I don't have that one. Could you scan the sheet and email it to me or at the very least note down all the details and send that to me? I got creating a scenario a fine art now, I have done around 50 in various theaters.

MikeT

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hey, I got a random Idea: how about a quick description of installing a SECOND copy of CM, with your mods so we can enjoy the best of both worlds with little fuss? Is it possible, how do you do it, would it work? For the answers to these questions and more we look towards the DFDR folk...

That assumes I have hard drive space for that. Oh well, DFDR or Tiger's Mods? Time to fire up the CD-R...

LimShady

OUTSTANDING looking conversion guys! This community just keeps getting better and better! Combat Mission WILL become the next Halflife! The base code is damn near perfect in it's context, and creates the perfect template for riding on the coattails of guys like the Desert Fox converters, modders, Interface total converters, scenario makers, and all us LUCKY guys (and gals) that get to reap the benefits. Keep on crankin' guys, and I'll keep on playin'! Thanks once again to each and every one of ya! (You know who YOU are)... hehe...

Bigmac out!

------------------

All CM All the time!

The Dogs of War CM Club

http://members.tripod.com/johnnocmdow/

Thanx for all the positive words fellas.

The kind words make the work worthwhile. We all hope you enjoy the mod and the site. Keep checking back for updates. If creating a second directory and copy of the game for DFDR is too space restrictive (small HD's), I highly suggest TwoShed's Mod Manager which is also available at the site.

Thanks again.

Clubfoot.

------------------

www.dfdr.net

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

This worked for me. Do this before you download the conversion.

1. Create a brand new folder on your desktop and name it "DFDR".

2. Go to C:\Program Files\CMBO and open the CMBO folder.

3. Copy all the folders inside CMBO, and everything else hanging loose in there to the new DFDR folder you just created on your desktop, then close your CMBO folder.

4. Go back to your desktop and move the DFDR folder to C:\Program Files.

5. Now, open the DFDR folder, then open the scenario folder and delete all the scenarios, but save the folder. Might as well delete the movie and its folder as well.

6. Now, while you're in the DFDR folder (which is now located at c:\Program Files\DFDR), click on the window to make it half-size (as opposed to a minimized screen or a full screen). Now, Left Click once on the tank icon in the DFDR file which says "Combat Mission" and hold it down, then drag it out to your desktop.

7. A little dialog box will popup and give you the option to "make shortcut to Combat Mission?". Chose to do that. You will now have an icon that says "shortcut to Combat Mission"

8. Once the icon is on your desktop, Right click on it and choose "rename". Then, just type in "Desert Fox Desert Rats".

9. Download the conversion, extract them all to the BMP folder.

10. Download the scenario file from the DFDR site (5 scenarios), and extract into the scenario file.

11. Play.

[This message has been edited by Agua (edited 03-24-2001).]

The best way to have a separate dfdr game is to do a separate full install of the game. You can change the name of the install folder. This way you have everything in your registry and it will all work properly. Add the patch. Delete all the scenarios. Add the mod. And you're ready to go.

I forgot to add this:

I sent in a bmp that can be used as an icon for the shortcut to start DFDR. It is a small pic of who else, Rommel. Agua should find this useful.

I also just sent in the mods for the following DAK vehicles: Kubelwagen, Truck, Marder, PzKwII, and PzKwIV. I also sent in an American M5 Stuart mod of an existing M5 mod that is based on a Squadron book of American Stuarts in Morocco. A very simple change using paint that adds some color banding.

I also finally sent in my readme design document that should answer some questions about my original intent and some how suggestions, a unit availability document that outlines what combat units should be considered for DYI scenarios, PLUS I have taken the maps that Col Klotz worked up and filled the missing ones (except for 26-31 which are flat desert). Now you have maps 1-25 and 32-47. Now you can use these a guidelines on how to make up your own maps using the editor. What I did was to copy these to paint and print them out on a color printer. This makes making battles maps from existing scenarios much easier and faster.

Now all I really need to do is to finally get off my butt and do the briefings for ALL those scenarios.

MikeT

Are the DAK uniforms mod ready for d/l as I get a 404 error on this link http://www.dfdr.net/downloads/DAKuniforms.zip

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

http://www.geocities.com/alla_keefek/