Some more views of Realgrass

Hey Gunner, which treebase are you using for your woods tile in those screenshots. It looks like it has underbrush? I thought I was using an "underbrush" mod (sorry, but I can't remember the artist) but mine doesn't look like yours. Thanks man, BTW, grass screen shots are STILL kickin' ass!

bigmac out!

------------------

All CM All the time!

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Originally posted by Hurricane:

Damn, you are driving me crazy with these screenshots. I have an old lousy 8MB Voodoo II card and only low-res mods.

I guess I will be headed for the PC store tomorrow...

Hurricane, be sure and check out the Hercules Prophet MX. Sweet 32 meg GeForce 2 card, and available for both AGP and PCI. I picked one up at Babbage's for $99. biggrin.gif

- Old Dog

Gunnergoz, I'm also not getting tired of watching your screenshots but I would like to see them in my game even more. Any chance your mod will be hosted soon?

If Kevin Kline would see those pics he would say: "Oh Madonna! Con grande Kathedrale di Milano." wink.gif

------------------

Turret down

Hull down

Track down

Pants down

I have gone through reviewing so many grass mods that I pretty much thought thought it to be played out from improvement.

But THIS----I think you've got something here, gunnergoz. In fact, a slightly-added brownish-tan tint may work very well with your mod as an added "winter grass."

What's the file size? 193K or 768K?

ETA on the mod 15 minutes!

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 03-30-2001).]

Now I have to admit to being pretty picky about my grass. I mean, I don't use just any grass, I prefer the best. And this grass looks very nice. I want to see how it would look with DD's stuff. But, on the site there is "Bushy Grass", "Dotted Spring Grass", and "Dotted Fall Grass", and I'm not sure about other flavors. Reminds me of the old days when one could choose the type of grass they wanted.

Anyway, question being. Are the files automatically loaded by CM, i.e., for spring, fall, and whatever bushy falls into, or does one have to load fall grass for fall, spring grass for spring, and bushy grass for whatever I guess.

In other words, are these several varieties of grass or do they work together in a bundle?

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

And now the announcement you've all been waiting for...

Now, Liberty! Liberty! Liberty!

Oops, wrong announcement. All of you Coasties get back on the boat. wink.gif

Download this mod at The Last Defense now!

That's better. smile.gif

Oh, and Spook, the file size is 4 downloads of 3 megs each.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Hey Gunner, I got a question? I downloaded your 5 grass packs and installed them this morning. Got in the game and redface.gif, they looked NOTHING like these screen shots. Bright colors, appeared low res, etc... Did I do something wrong or get the wrong files? I was using OldDog's subdued grass. Changed back to it and all was back to fine again... Wazzup? Please tell me how stupid I am.....

------------------

All CM All the time!

Bigmac- did you by any chance download Olle Petersson's ultra low res terrains by accident? They sound kind of like what you're describing. If you did, and installed them after Goz's mods, they would have overwritten the ones you want.

------------------

OK, I can see how folks might get confused by all this "grass mania." smile.gif

I've put out three basic grasses, and one of the three grass varieties has extra versions for spring, fall and winter.

1. Speckled grass. This has the original flavor, spring, fall and winter varieties. Compared to the newer varieties below, it looks plainer. It has some variation but not as much as the later ones, but it has the advantage of being the only one at present with seasonal variations.(I'll add the variations to the newer ones soon).

2. Bushygrass. This was my second type of grass and it looks a bit brown mixed in with the green. If you look at it closely, you'll see "fronds" in the pattern and hence its name. It looks natural but has more limited altitude differentiation. I'd use it on flatter terrain scenarios.

3. Realgrass. This is the one illustrated here. It looks like real grass, or so some think (well, I do at least) and it will be my permanent personal pick. I'll soon come up with seasonal variations on this, as well as new bases to better match it.

Please note that all of these grasses are hi-res and are only replacing .bmp files #1550 through 1569 in your BMP folder.

I want to do lo-res versions for you guys with the more limited video, but I have to ask you to be patient, they are MUCH tougher do do right without looking blocky or runny.

Thanks for your interest and kind words!

Originally posted by bigmac@work:

Hey Gunner, which treebase are you using for your woods tile in those screenshots. It looks like it has underbrush? I thought I was using an "underbrush" mod (sorry, but I can't remember the artist) but mine doesn't look like yours. Thanks man, BTW, grass screen shots are STILL kickin' ass!

bigmac out!

Hi Bigmac,

The bases are also mine and can be downloaded at The Last Defense site. One of them (the dense one) is derived from JuJu's excellent base. Yeah, I like the undergrowth look myself.

OK, thanks. Now I see what I did. I got the Brushy grass (5 downloads). The Real grass must not have been posted at the time of my downloads... redface.gif Unfortunately, even the brushy grass didn't look a whole lot like the screenshot. I'll give your Real grass a shot now that I see it's posted. What I got was Definitely low res... Man, I feel sorry for you guys that can't run hi-rez textures.... :b

------------------

All CM All the time!

Originally posted by bigmac@work:

OK, thanks. Now I see what I did. I got the Brushy grass (5 downloads). The Real grass must not have been posted at the time of my downloads... redface.gif Unfortunately, even the brushy grass didn't look a whole lot like the screenshot. I'll give your Real grass a shot now that I see it's posted. What I got was Definitely low res... Man, I feel sorry for you guys that can't run hi-rez textures.... :b

Hello, Bigmac

If you can possibly do it, please send me a screen snap of your install of bushygrass and one later of the realgrass. I'm wondering if variations in video cards may be altering the textures of the grass in some way. My email address is obtainable through the forum.

Thanks for the feedback, BTW.

Hi Gunner. Got the REALgrass mod this morning. I'm lovin it! As I've mentioned, I had old dogs subdued velvet (which is also excellent), but I'm sticking with yours because I can tell terrain changes a bit easier while maintaining my requisite high quality/res look. There's something about your textures that I just can't put my finger on, but really catch my eye. I slapped Puds Muddy Road mod with SurlyBen's and Tigers new skies and... VIOLA!! Ahhhh, mucho eye candy! smile.gif Thanks!

As far as the bushygrasss, I've already uninstalled and deleted 'em, but the least I can do is get them back again and help you out. No problem. I'll do it when I get off work in the am... Any particular angle/look/camera setting you'd like to see in the screenshots? How many would you like and with what weather parameters? Let me know and I'll get on it. BTW, I'm running a GeForce2MX with 32MB of VRAM and the latest Detonator drivers. I have 256MB of system RAM with a Celery 633.

One other thing, I also grabbed your treebase mod this morning to go along with your grass and once again... OUCH! Retina burn. Lo-rez/high, bright color. The treebases I downloaded CAN'T be the same ones that show up on your excellent screenshots you've provided above. Did I jump the gun on downloading them as well? I had to put DD's treebases back on (poor me!). DD's work, as well, is excellent, but I like the undergrowth/brushy look your wood treebase exhibits. Please point me to your treebases you have on in the provided screenshots (especially the wood tile treebase).

------------------

All CM All the time!

BigMac,

Maybe I need to try checking the treebase files on The Last Defense to see what happened. I'm wondering if perhaps some file #'s got swapped.

The bases for woods, sparse woods and seasonal woods variations need updating to better match the color palette of realgrass anyway.

The brush and marsh I personally use are the latest releases I posted to The Last Defense and I plan to stick with them for a while.

I plan to be at work on Realgrass seasonal variants in the next few days, so stand by.

BigMac, a shot from a middle view (key 2 or 3) with sunny sky would be best, especially if it had a good range of distance and altitude differential like a big map provides.

If possible, tilt the camera down to get a more top-down view of the grass pattern below the viewpoint.

BTW this request for snaps is only with respect to what you perceive to be problems. If you like it, cool, don't bother!

I'm running a Matrox G400 Max with 32 MB and so I am curious as to how your video card depicts these grass textures compared to mine. I don't think there should be a big difference, but I've been surprised before... biggrin.gif