Back again after a long time - some questions

Hallo again to all here in the CM-Forum smile.gif After a long time, i´m back again (i was still playing CMBO on my PC) - and, it´s always great to come in here.

I read a lot postings for CM2 - my question is (´hope that it hadn´t been posted before), will the improvements of CM2 implemented in CMBO by a patch?????

Any answer would be very kind.

I suspect that CMII will in all probability be an East Front/West Front package, thus giving both CM and CM2 a next gen upgrade. To retrofit CM2 code to CM would certainly be possible, but not cost-effective, if that effort could be put towards developing either CMII or CM3/4.

Still, would be nice, wouldn't it? <g>

I believe the official answer is that the decision on backwards compatibility will be taken when the CM2 code is much closer to final and the effort required to implement such compatibility can be reasonable assessed.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

I believe the official answer is that the decision on backwards compatibility will be taken when the CM2 code is much closer to final and the effort required to implement such compatibility can be reasonable assessed.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So there is still hope. Excellent.

Personally, I would pay for such an upgrade.

I imagine there are issues with that, though. What if one person has it and another does not?

Then would PBEM be possible? TCP/IP?

This is a complex issue, and as we all know there are only two guys doing the coding...

Terence

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

For my 2 bits worth, it would make more sense to come out with a "CM1.5" with entirely new coding and retail packaging. This version would have all the features of CM2 ported back to the Western Front. It could be sold to owners of CM1 (BTS must have THAT list smile.gif ) for a goodly discount and avoid all the hassles of figuring out a patch.

How about it, BTS?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

For my 2 bits worth, it would make more sense to come out with a "CM1.5" with entirely new coding and retail packaging. This version would have all the features of CM2 ported back to the Western Front. It could be sold to owners of CM1 (BTS must have THAT list smile.gif ) for a goodly discount and avoid all the hassles of figuring out a patch.

How about it, BTS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kinda like "Real Myst?" when they put out the 360 degree view version...I like it. And to my knowledge, Cyan or whoever is making some decent money off that release.

If cost is the only obstacle, this would be the best solution and I'm sure they would make their money back with such a loyal following.

In fact, I think if CM1 is just tossed aside without an option to upgrade, there will be a considerable backlash against BTS for abandoning it.

I think 'time' is just as important a consideration for BTS as 'cost'. At least it is for me! :D

I like Mayer's idea, but personally (and I understand that means very little) I would like to see BTS continue to make new games, not rest on the laurels from their last success and sit back and start 'fixing' their old games.

Keep 'em coming! There is plenty of time to improve the old ones once we are old and washed up!

Thanx a lot for your answers.

Hmmm, sad thing. I hoped to see the improvements would have make it into CMBO. as said before - by buying CM2, with an included CMBO. Well, i would pay extra for a "new" CMBO.

It would be great to play "our" game (for me from the beginning of "Riesberg" to release version) with all the new staff.

Hmm, i hope BTS will do it.

Ähm, does anybody know, if the "moviewatcher" is possible in CM2????

Greetings from Germany

Jochen

I guess I should add that based on my very conditional statement above, and the recent articles in various magezines, I would say that backwards compatibility looks unlikely at this point. On the other hand, I think some things would be relative easy to put into CMBO, mainly being fixes to the current TCP/IP problem many with Win2k and WinME are experiencing, so a patch for that might not be too unlikely.

WWB