Quit whining, your time will come.

A little post to all the people that complain incessantly about the AI in CMBO.

I consider myself to be an average player, usually beating the AI by a mile. Last night I got my arse royally handed to me in a small QB attacking the AI. The menu:

- 2 IGs parked side by side far far behind the flag with long fields of view.

- A 2nd floor sharpshooter, followed by 2 strategically placed shrecks.

- 2 Fj platoons holding the village.

- 1 HT in reserve, for desert.

To cut a long story short, the IGs were such a pain (impossible to kill w/ DF) that it took all my mortar rounds to finish them off. The shooter and the shrecks blew my Ronsons to pieces. The Fj cut my men down in earnest, and to top it up, the HT started rolling in 3 rounds from the end, as I was assaulting for the final push. In all, my backside handed to me big time.

So quit whining, if you haven't ever lost to the AI or think it sux, just wait. Your time will come. ;)

coralsaw

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: coralsaw ]

The AI also makes a good game in the following (from a former thread on this forum, #17358):

You: Axis defender:

- platoon (4) Pz IVH

- Rifle company

- 105mm FO

- 2 TRPs

- 1 Panzerschreck

AI opponent: Allied Attacker:

- U.S. Glider company

- 3" mortar FO

- 2x thick Churchill 75mm

- 1x thick Churchill 95mm

- 2x Wasp

Believe me, a good game, and let us know how you do. I also have a scenario filled with this already.

Trying to defend with a full infantry force in flat farmland against a full armour (German) AI is quite entertaining too. Of course you let the computer pick both forces. With a bit of luck (at 500 points), you'll only have mines as AT weapons, and then each turn becomes a Hitchcockian scene, with you wondering whether the computer will run his front-leading tanks over your mines, swearing when he avoids them. Fun, in a masochistic way.

British tanks and US infantry is not ahistorical as it did happen on many occasions. Though generally speaking it would be British Shermans, though you would get fireflys. The British 8th armoured brigade supported a US infantry division for a while IIRC.

Equally British funnies (Crocs and ARVE) supporting US troops is not ahistorical. There were quite a number of notable battles where this occurred (including the Bulge).