The truth about getting unbogged

Hey,guys

Here is the situation

First move of a PBEM game ( hello Stix !! )and after 30 meters one of my StuG IIIG got himself bogged .

Some players say CM symbolize the unbogging process ( the crew working with shovels... ) during a few turns and if you are lucky you will get unbogged .They say that the rotation + reverse actions only give you a good feeling but do not help you to unbogged.

What is the final word ?

Crockett

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 03-31-2001).]

Final word is that there is nothing you can do to make them more likely to unbog. Some people will tell you that putting them in reverse will help, but it's all superstition. The chance is the same regardless of the unit's orders.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Hey Crocket.

I have found that backing striaght back will quite often get you Un-Bogged if there is such a word almost instantly.

I'm only new to CM so don't take this as gospel that is purely my own observation.

Welllll, it may not help. It may just be my imagination, BUT... When I began playing I was getting bogged, followed by Immobilization ALL THE TIME. Now, granted, I've learned that you can't fast move through mud since then, but I can't remember the last time I've been immobilized due to bogging in recent memory. Maybe it's akin to throwing salt over my shoulder, but I can't argue with a 100% success rate in about a dozen occurrences (to the best of my recollection). After said bogging occurs, next move cycle I cancel all move orders. Plot a reverse move directly opposite original line of travel about 10m long or so, followed by a hunt command along the original line of motion (or move, if hunt not available). For me it works, and now I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and making noises so I can't hear the naysayers analyses of statistical probability depending on the phase of the moon and the location of the nearest standing body of water.... NAAAAANAAAANAAAAANAAAAANAAAAA... tongue.gif

------------------

All CM All the time!

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Originally posted by bigmac@work:

Now, granted, I've learned that you can't fast move through mud since then,

Actually, analysis of statistical probability has conclusively shown that (contrary to what it says in the manual) the speed of the vehicle has no effect on the chance of bogging at all and you are actually more likely to be bogged moving over open grass than in scattered trees/brush/wheat. We never did get a response from BTS if this was a bug or not.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Actually, analysis of statistical probability has conclusively shown that (contrary to what it says in the manual) the speed of the vehicle has no effect on the chance of bogging at all and you are actually more likely to be bogged moving over open grass than in scattered trees/brush/wheat. We never did get a response from BTS if this was a bug or not.

Well I'm no tanker, but i would imagine that the more crap you have under yer tracks the better grip you get i.e. trees/brush/wheat = protective (if you will) layer over dirt

grass = sod that gets easly churned up by armor expopsing dirt mud et all...

Really Vanir? I seem to remember the same discussion, but I thought the speed and terrain type over which you moved DID affect bogging? IIRC, the contention that altitude, i.e. low lying areas, bog faster WAS refuted. There appears to be no correlation to low or high ground, but different terrain types DID affect bogging. DRAT! Now you're gonna make me do a search! BRB....

------------------

All CM All the time!

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Great !!!

Stix may be you did not realize that, but you are my opponent in this game (have a look at my e-mail address ) wink.gif

Or... may be you knew it and your suggestion of driving reverse is a way to transform my bogged state into an immobilized one ? biggrin.gif

Crockett ( = Jacques )

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 03-31-2001).]