Rare Vehicle Poll

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Maj. Bosco:

I was under the impression that the US M16 AA Halftrack was not rare. Less common than the other types of halftracks but certainly not even in the same league as the T-28 or the Sturmtiger. ?

The only place that it is rare is in CMBO.

I vote for the M16 AAMG HT. CMBO needs it.

Originally posted by Space Thing:

The only place that it is rare is in CMBO.

I vote for the M16 AAMG HT. CMBO needs it.

I second the vote for the Crusader AA tank - every armoured regiment had 6 of them in the AA troop. The South Albertas had 7 though, cause they stole one from the Brits!

What was the scale of issue for the M16? Aside from one Tamiya kit per hobby shop, I mean? Was it standard for AA units in US armored units? Just curious.

As for the "fools" comment up above - byte me.

Guest Germanboy

Before everybody gets their hopes up - there is an official and unequivocal statement (actually, there are a number of those) by Steve to the effect that there will be no new vehicles in CMBO. I trust the only new Western Allies vehicles we are going to see are those that went on lend-lease in numbers. I somehow doubt that either the Crusader or the M16 AA AFVs were amongst these. So while you may think the game is not finished, or incomplete without them (the latter statement is true, the former not), it ain't gonna happen.

So instead of turning this into a 'Whawha why can't we see this and that in CMBO' thread, I would be much more interested in a thread discussing the merits of various Soviet AFVs, and 1941 and beyond German stuff that is not currently in CMBO.

Whether new vehicles from CM2 will be retrofittable is an open question at this point, but I would not hold my breath.

Just my two cents.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

In fact, I did get my head handed to me over this very issue a couple of weeks ago. After a strident effort (indeed perhaps overly strident), Steve said absolutely not. The soonest we will see the missing CMBO vehicles will be CM II. I found BTS to be immovable over the issue, and I definitely tried quite a few angles.

M16 AA

M15 AA

M19...

Brummbar

Mark

My one and only request for a new rare vehicle in CM2 is the

Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz. The coolest tactical AA gun in the world. smile.gif

Twin 30mm belt-fed auto cannons in an armored turret... *drool*

Great for shredding all sorts of light armored vehicles and

mowing down any infantry that get in it's way. wink.gif It would also be

a real threat to some tanks' weaker side and/or rear armor.

They were very rare and apparently all of them that were made saw

action late in the war. Since we are talking about these sorts

of rare, cool and unusual vehicles that should be included in CM2.

Well, the Kugelblitz certainly is rare and unusual, and it is

definitely extremely cool. So that more than qualifies it. biggrin.gif

Dummy tanks (locally made of plywood and rubber on tractor chassis). These were used in Crimea and (iirc) Leningrad to (as propaganda puts it) "scare fascist invaders". Although that could probably lead to all sorts of gamey abuses, I always wondered how would one tactically deploy a plywood tank with stick for a gun and MG for firepower (imagine an MG carrier that appears to germans as positively identified Firefly).

Sturmpanzer IV (Brumbaer)

US M16

Also, the Germans had some halftracks that were modified to carry rockets (mounted on the sides) that were used for support that would be interesting.

If rules that took their abilities into account were implemented, then I would also like to see OP tanks and command tanks.

cheers,

-gabe-

Originally posted by Bry Barnard:

Also a Maus (just to see waht would have happened!)

It would bog in when it leaves the road and would break through nearly every bridge - not joking, that's a few of the main problems!

I'm still missing the PzIII, and I'm missing Infantery cloae AT-weapons like magnetic charges and AT-Wurfmine. And I better don't start to leaf through my WWII weapons encyclopedia :).

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase

Oh, Lord -- The Semples! Okay, but only If there's a texture to show the mattress the driver lays on...

But my vote goes for OP Tanks/PzBefehlswagen in all or any configurations.

Raupenschlepper Ost. Because it's the coolest machine that was ever built anywhere in the world at any time. smile.gif

rso03_4.JPG

[This message has been edited by Forever Babra (edited 02-07-2001).]

Escuse my ignorance but when you mod the BMP files for a vehicle why cant you alter them to such an extreme that it becomes something totally different. IE could you mod the BMP file for say a tiger so that it actually looked the same as say a sherman?? (obviously you would then have two sets of sherman BMP files but the game would i guess still apply the tiger characteristics to the modded sherman) Is this correct and if so then so long as the vehicle you wanted matched the characteristics of the original vehicle then you could have a vastly increased number of vehicles BUT at the expense of "losing" the original.

Peter hawkins Capt

RAAMC

U.S. quad .50 cal AA halftrack

U.S. 40mm Bofors AA halftrack

Every division in the ETO had at least one battalion of these things attached, sometimes several. They were as much a part of the combined arms teams as TDs or Priests.

For rarer items, I'd like to see gun-truck and gun-halftrack "portees" more generally. These were especially common in North Africa, which is admittedly outside the scope of "CM-BO" (gee, isn't that what I get after two days and nights playing CM without taking a shower? - LOL). I'd still like to see them - British 2 lber ATs firing from truck-beds, etc. The German half-track mods are the only ones already in the game, really. But others did it.

Oooh, and I almost forgot - the German sIG series of SP howitzer assault guns. Big and clunky, slow and open topped, but with a 150mm infantry gun behind an bullet proof plate. Just what the Volksgrenadiers need to advance into battle...

[This message has been edited by jasoncawley@ameritech.net (edited 02-08-2001).]

1.Brummbaer

2.Stuka zu Fuss

3.Sperbergruppen; including appropriately equipped infantry (vampir sights, etc), Panthers (5) with infrared, HTs with infrared (Uhu, Falke)

4.Sturmtiger

5.The ability to specify values such as aircraft type, number, quality, and loadout from the editor to further enhance historical accuracy when recreating scenarios.

6.Panther F

7.M16

8.M3 Grant/Lee

9.Flakpanther Coellian

10.Flakpanzer Kuegelblitz

11.Befehlspanzer (III,IV,Panther) smile.gif

Guest AbnAirCav

<ul>

[*]Ferdinand/Elefant (required for Kursk)

[*]SdKfz 222 (989 produced)

[*]Pz 38(t) (over 1000 produced)

[*]Sturmtiger

[*]Brummbär

Originally posted by pbhawkins:

Escuse my ignorance but when you mod the BMP files for a vehicle why cant you alter them to such an extreme that it becomes something totally different. IE could you mod the BMP file for say a tiger so that it actually looked the same as say a sherman?? (obviously you would then have two sets of sherman BMP files but the game would i guess still apply the tiger characteristics to the modded sherman) Is this correct and if so then so long as the vehicle you wanted matched the characteristics of the original vehicle then you could have a vastly increased number of vehicles BUT at the expense of "losing" the original.

Peter hawkins Capt

RAAMC

Royal Australian Army Medical Corps?

Is that right?

To answer your question - the 3D models use the bitmap much in the same way a wall uses wallpaper. I guess the actual term is skins. Try taking a bitmap and using the paint program in windows to flip the file vertically or horizontally, then go into the scenario editor, pick that unit, and go into the preview.

The 3D shape of the figures and vehicles do not change at all - the bitmap simply wraps around this shape like - well, skin.

If the bmp you have does not exactly match the dimensions of the originally intended file, it will simply show up as a white block in the game.

You are correct about the skins having no effect on the data concerning the vehicle in question.

You will never "lose" the vehicle, however, as long as you back up the files. All the bmps are safely stored on the CD, so you can always either reinstall the game, or simply copy the bmp files from the CD to your hard drive.

Hope this helps, Sir!

Michael Dorosh

Corporal

The Calgary Highlanders

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm