5,000 Pt. Meeting Engagement in progress/AAR...New pic's.

It is getting scary. I juse sent turn 44 and have a 30% troop morale. However I was able to knock out the dreaded Sherman west of the bridge, it had punched two Tiger I's with first round hits in the last 7 turns or so.

It was destroyed along with a 75mm carrying Sherman and a half-track. If my count is correct that makes 14 tanks or tank destroyers knocked out. My tank losses have been 3 Tiger I's, 2 Hetzer and 4 Stug IIIG's.

Its going to be a very close battle!

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is getting scary. I juse sent turn 44 and have a 30% troop morale. However I was able to knock out the dreaded Sherman west of the bridge, it had punched two Tiger I's with first round hits in the last 7 turns or so.

It was destroyed along with a 75mm carrying Sherman and a half-track. If my count is correct that makes 14 tanks or tank destroyers knocked out. My tank losses have been 3 Tiger I's, 2 Hetzer and 4 Stug IIIG's.

Its going to be a very close battle!

The only thing keeping the German armor from crossing the bridge has been taken out of battle. The brave crew of the Sherman 76 which almost single handedly held the enemy at bay has been hit by a 4th Tiger on the scene.

Out remaining 75mm Shermans scored a few hits on the Tigers but were totally useless against them (Thanks Moriarty)

The Germans seem to have pulled a FO from thin air as a heavy hail of smoke rounds filled the Chateau area to cover their advance.

Infantry is all that remains at the Chateau area.

It is now just a matter of time before we lose the bridge completely.

Gyrene

The only thing keeping the German armor from crossing the bridge has been taken out of battle. The brave crew of the Sherman 76 which almost single handedly held the enemy at bay has been hit by a 4th Tiger on the scene.

Out remaining 75mm Shermans scored a few hits on the Tigers but were totally useless against them (Thanks Moriarty)

The Germans seem to have pulled a FO from thin air as a heavy hail of smoke rounds filled the Chateau area to cover their advance.

Infantry is all that remains at the Chateau area.

It is now just a matter of time before we lose the bridge completely.

Gyrene

We took the fight to the enemy, we will root them out of their hiding holes on their side of the map. No German will cross these bridges alive.

Maj. Gyrene

To tired to write an AAR tonight, it is finished. I will say that this was the most memorable battle I have fought in months!

tiger_bridge.jpg

Hey, is that a Tiger crossing that bridge? ;)

We took the fight to the enemy, we will root them out of their hiding holes on their side of the map. No German will cross these bridges alive.

Maj. Gyrene

To tired to write an AAR tonight, it is finished. I will say that this was the most memorable battle I have fought in months!

tiger_bridge.jpg

Hey, is that a Tiger crossing that bridge? ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> tiger_bridge.jpg

Hey, is that a Tiger crossing that bridge? ;)[/QB] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey that shot looks like a shot from a famous widescreen movie :D

Great fight guys, thanks for sharing. smile.gif

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> tiger_bridge.jpg

Hey, is that a Tiger crossing that bridge? ;)[/QB] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey that shot looks like a shot from a famous widescreen movie :D

Great fight guys, thanks for sharing. smile.gif

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Freak ]

Look, its a Tiger crossing the bridge.

On turn 45 of 45 ;) And its not even all the way across. :D

The fact that all that held back 5 Tigers was a single 76 Sherman has to be taken in to account.

Congratulations Abbott! You have handed me my very first defeat! My record is now 12 wins and 1 loss. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and it could not pick a better opponent to lose my cherry to!

This was the toughest battle by far, and I was hoping to at least hold you to a draw. Your FO with the smoke made all the difference, wherever the hell he came from, without him I could have held out.

It all came down to my innability to make effective use of my bazooka teams, with only a single half track killed by them and all of the AT teams getting eliminated by turn 30, his tanks dominated the eastern side of the map and really pusnished my infantry, the virtual parade of Tigers and my 75 Shermans happily bouncing rounds off of them didn't help.

Abbott is the master of stealth, nobody I've played has anywhere near his ability to make you believe an area is clear of troops, he can hide a whole company in a small patch of woods the whole game and spring them out at the worst possible time, I definitively learned a lot from him.

It is hard to explain the intensity of the fighting around the Chateau, there must be at least 25 eliminated units and 12 KO'd tanks from both sides just around that area, the shooting never let up the whole battle in that small space.

Well, I look forward to my new sig file and for my revenge!

By the way. He didn't get within 100m of the Southern Bridge. tongue.gif

Just one small view of the Chateau, notice the number of eliminated units. The Germans won a Minor Victory, but it was not for free.

notfree2.gif

Gyrene

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

Look, its a Tiger crossing the bridge.

On turn 45 of 45 ;) And its not even all the way across. :D

The fact that all that held back 5 Tigers was a single 76 Sherman has to be taken in to account.

Congratulations Abbott! You have handed me my very first defeat! My record is now 12 wins and 1 loss. It was bound to happen sooner or later, and it could not pick a better opponent to lose my cherry to!

This was the toughest battle by far, and I was hoping to at least hold you to a draw. Your FO with the smoke made all the difference, wherever the hell he came from, without him I could have held out.

It all came down to my innability to make effective use of my bazooka teams, with only a single half track killed by them and all of the AT teams getting eliminated by turn 30, his tanks dominated the eastern side of the map and really pusnished my infantry, the virtual parade of Tigers and my 75 Shermans happily bouncing rounds off of them didn't help.

Abbott is the master of stealth, nobody I've played has anywhere near his ability to make you believe an area is clear of troops, he can hide a whole company in a small patch of woods the whole game and spring them out at the worst possible time, I definitively learned a lot from him.

It is hard to explain the intensity of the fighting around the Chateau, there must be at least 25 eliminated units and 12 KO'd tanks from both sides just around that area, the shooting never let up the whole battle in that small space.

Well, I look forward to my new sig file and for my revenge!

By the way. He didn't get within 100m of the Southern Bridge. tongue.gif

Just one small view of the Chateau, notice the number of eliminated units. The Germans won a Minor Victory, but it was not for free.

notfree2.gif

Gyrene

AAR

German OOB

Infantry:

1x Rifle Bn.

Attached.

Mortar Plt. (6x81mm)

Pioneer Plt.

Panzer Jager. Plt. 6xPanzershreck teams

2xSharpshooter

Artillery FO’s

1x 81mm

2x 105mm

Panzers:

Panzer Plt. 3xTiger I 1x MkIVG

Panzer Jager Plt. 2xHetzer

Assault Gun Plt. 4xStugIIIG

The Battle:

The ground was damp and the sky overcast. The village of Chateau Neuf du Pape is located east of a large, steep canyon that is spanned by two long stone bridges. The village itself contains a small objective marker. The main road through the village crosses the northern bridge, which is marked with a large objective marker.

The southern objective (the western approach to the southern bridge) lies across the large canyon spanned by the southern bridge.

before.gif

Planning:

One infantry company supported by the assault gun platoon will seize the southern objective. Further assets will include 1 sharpshooter and the Bn. 120mm mortar spotter.

Two companies supported by the attached Panzer and PanzerJager platoons will seize Chateau Neuf du Pape and the bridge located there.

My advance was slow and methodical due to the ground conditions forcing my heavy armor to keep to the limited roads. Only one road entered Chateau Neuf du Pape from the line of departure. The eastern approaches to the village were wooded and offered good concealment.

I had completely misread the ground by not noticing the slightly higher elevations on the western side of the village, across the large canyon. Covered by rough ground and trees, which offered excellent observation and firing positions into the village. Gyrene obviously noticed those positions and occupied them in strength.

I entered Chateau Neuf du Pape on about turn 4 with my forward elements, the Pioneer Plt. Supported by the two Hetzers. A heavy infantry engagement erupted near the Cathedral and around the cemetery shortly thereafter. With Turn 5 artillery fire began falling among my troops advancing towards the village, a round that fell long killed one of my Forward Observer teams. The next few turns brought with them incredibly heavy artillery fire concentrated on the village itself and areas slightly east of the village where my infantry was advancing.

My southern infantry and STUG Plt. had taken up positions in wood lines east of the open ground that separated them from the southern objective. Over the next few turns it became apparent they would be unable to advance further.

By turn 10 the battle was not going well as artillery fire inflicted heavy casualties on my main force. I held Chateau Neuf du Pape (the village itself) in strength and was being severely punished for it. Gyrene had completely pushed my forward elements from the Cathedral and cemetery effectively destroying the Pioneer Plt. I was stunned Turn 14 as two Tiger I’s had missed shots and were both punched frontally by first round hits, a moment later a Hetzer also fell the same way. I was granted some relieve when my infantry was able to completely stop a northern enemy probe, destroying three armored vehicles in the process.

My southern forces now came under heavy attack. Scouts spotting Gyrene’s main thrust. I was able to withdraw two platoons of infantry one being left behind to slow the attack being completely destroyed.

By Turn 20 I gave up any thought of seizing the southern objective as Gyrene’s powerful attack had driven my troops north. I had some luck and destroyed several enemy tanks a few turns later and felt I held a slight advantage in the northern sector.

Turn 21 arrived with reinforcements which was a mixed blessing. I felt it negated the small advantage I held and the battle was going to start anew.

Late Turns I was able to swing two Crack platoons of infantry north supported by two Tiger tanks and my remaining Stug III. I also had held a 105mm FO in reserve with about 40 rounds of fire remaining. These troops turned the tide of the battle and seized the northern bridge.

Epilogue

This was the second time I had played Gyrene and his artillery and mortar fire was superb all the way through the battle in both games. Delivered where I needed it least with uncanny timing in both battles.

We took the fight to the enemy-Gyrene

Attack, more attacking, then attack some more is what I faced from Gyrene in this battle. I was constantly reacting to his plans and off balance. My only highlights were being able to destroy several enemy AFVs in two different turns of battle and four mortars from my 81mm Plt. with a company HQ finally turning his southern infantry attack away. I enjoyed this battle as much as any I have ever played.

bh_aar.jpg

Thank you goes to Moriarty for taking the time to set this up and doing an excellent job of it! Very well done and enjoyable.

AAR

German OOB

Infantry:

1x Rifle Bn.

Attached.

Mortar Plt. (6x81mm)

Pioneer Plt.

Panzer Jager. Plt. 6xPanzershreck teams

2xSharpshooter

Artillery FO’s

1x 81mm

2x 105mm

Panzers:

Panzer Plt. 3xTiger I 1x MkIVG

Panzer Jager Plt. 2xHetzer

Assault Gun Plt. 4xStugIIIG

The Battle:

The ground was damp and the sky overcast. The village of Chateau Neuf du Pape is located east of a large, steep canyon that is spanned by two long stone bridges. The village itself contains a small objective marker. The main road through the village crosses the northern bridge, which is marked with a large objective marker.

The southern objective (the western approach to the southern bridge) lies across the large canyon spanned by the southern bridge.

before.gif

Planning:

One infantry company supported by the assault gun platoon will seize the southern objective. Further assets will include 1 sharpshooter and the Bn. 120mm mortar spotter.

Two companies supported by the attached Panzer and PanzerJager platoons will seize Chateau Neuf du Pape and the bridge located there.

My advance was slow and methodical due to the ground conditions forcing my heavy armor to keep to the limited roads. Only one road entered Chateau Neuf du Pape from the line of departure. The eastern approaches to the village were wooded and offered good concealment.

I had completely misread the ground by not noticing the slightly higher elevations on the western side of the village, across the large canyon. Covered by rough ground and trees, which offered excellent observation and firing positions into the village. Gyrene obviously noticed those positions and occupied them in strength.

I entered Chateau Neuf du Pape on about turn 4 with my forward elements, the Pioneer Plt. Supported by the two Hetzers. A heavy infantry engagement erupted near the Cathedral and around the cemetery shortly thereafter. With Turn 5 artillery fire began falling among my troops advancing towards the village, a round that fell long killed one of my Forward Observer teams. The next few turns brought with them incredibly heavy artillery fire concentrated on the village itself and areas slightly east of the village where my infantry was advancing.

My southern infantry and STUG Plt. had taken up positions in wood lines east of the open ground that separated them from the southern objective. Over the next few turns it became apparent they would be unable to advance further.

By turn 10 the battle was not going well as artillery fire inflicted heavy casualties on my main force. I held Chateau Neuf du Pape (the village itself) in strength and was being severely punished for it. Gyrene had completely pushed my forward elements from the Cathedral and cemetery effectively destroying the Pioneer Plt. I was stunned Turn 14 as two Tiger I’s had missed shots and were both punched frontally by first round hits, a moment later a Hetzer also fell the same way. I was granted some relieve when my infantry was able to completely stop a northern enemy probe, destroying three armored vehicles in the process.

My southern forces now came under heavy attack. Scouts spotting Gyrene’s main thrust. I was able to withdraw two platoons of infantry one being left behind to slow the attack being completely destroyed.

By Turn 20 I gave up any thought of seizing the southern objective as Gyrene’s powerful attack had driven my troops north. I had some luck and destroyed several enemy tanks a few turns later and felt I held a slight advantage in the northern sector.

Turn 21 arrived with reinforcements which was a mixed blessing. I felt it negated the small advantage I held and the battle was going to start anew.

Late Turns I was able to swing two Crack platoons of infantry north supported by two Tiger tanks and my remaining Stug III. I also had held a 105mm FO in reserve with about 40 rounds of fire remaining. These troops turned the tide of the battle and seized the northern bridge.

Epilogue

This was the second time I had played Gyrene and his artillery and mortar fire was superb all the way through the battle in both games. Delivered where I needed it least with uncanny timing in both battles.

We took the fight to the enemy-Gyrene

Attack, more attacking, then attack some more is what I faced from Gyrene in this battle. I was constantly reacting to his plans and off balance. My only highlights were being able to destroy several enemy AFVs in two different turns of battle and four mortars from my 81mm Plt. with a company HQ finally turning his southern infantry attack away. I enjoyed this battle as much as any I have ever played.

bh_aar.jpg

Thank you goes to Moriarty for taking the time to set this up and doing an excellent job of it! Very well done and enjoyable.

Greetings, gentlemen.

Your most welcome.

I'm glad that this one was, firstly, enjoyable and, secondly, a close fight. In all honesty, I was very concerned about getting balanced forces within the point restrictions and maintaining at least a head-nod to history. I tried to follow platoon models of 3-4 tanks per platoon for the Axis (with the exception of the understrength AT platoon); and five M4s for the US with no more than two 76mms.

The reinforcements -- three crack or elite mounted infantry platoons and another armored platoon per side -- at or about T-21 had not been requested by the players and were a spur of the moment addition.

Glad you enjoyed the fight, guys.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

Greetings, gentlemen.

Your most welcome.

I'm glad that this one was, firstly, enjoyable and, secondly, a close fight. In all honesty, I was very concerned about getting balanced forces within the point restrictions and maintaining at least a head-nod to history. I tried to follow platoon models of 3-4 tanks per platoon for the Axis (with the exception of the understrength AT platoon); and five M4s for the US with no more than two 76mms.

The reinforcements -- three crack or elite mounted infantry platoons and another armored platoon per side -- at or about T-21 had not been requested by the players and were a spur of the moment addition.

Glad you enjoyed the fight, guys.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Hey Moriarty -

Can the rest of us DL this scenario somewhere?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abbott has the map and the scenario and may have had one or both posted somewheres.

I also have a battle map available that Berli and Bauhaus are playtesting.

I think I have the game with the units in place saved. You can e-mail me if you're interested or get in touch with Abbott.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Hey Moriarty -

Can the rest of us DL this scenario somewhere?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abbott has the map and the scenario and may have had one or both posted somewheres.

I also have a battle map available that Berli and Bauhaus are playtesting.

I think I have the game with the units in place saved. You can e-mail me if you're interested or get in touch with Abbott.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

I don't have the turn numbers handy, but I will relate the events from my side as best as I can.

My forces were:

1 Infantry Battalion:

9 x '44 pattern rifle platoons

3 x Heavy Weapons platoons: 3 x .50, 6 x M1919, 1x M1917, 6 x 60mm Mortars, 9 x Bazooka teams

Artillery spotters: 2 x 81mm, 2 x 105mm, 1 x 4.5mm

Armor: 3 x M4A3(76)W, 4 x M4A3, 4 x M4A3(76)W, 2 x M18

My original plan was based on my assumption that Abbott would make his strongest push at the Chateau area, so I decided to position a holding force on the opposite side of the ravine across from the Chateau and to send 2 platoons across to gain a toe hold on the the far side, at the same time I put together my strongest infantry force, about 4 platoons, with heavy weapons and 3 tanks for support and sent them wide to the south to hopefully flank any of Abbott's forces sent to defend the Southern bridge.

This opperation went without a hitch up until the level of the far side of the bridge, where we ran into some artillery, which thankfully had little effect, killing only a MG team. At the same time I made a minor direct push towards my side of the South bridge, hoping to distract attention from my main maneuvering element, and to gauge his defenses there.

A brief tank battle erupted , with both of us losing about 2 to 3 tanks each over a couple of turns, then once my main force got spotted I commenced the assault and overran the local defenders.

A few turns later, I had lost all my supporting tanks travelling with the main force after a brief push North mostly, I think, to shreck fire. After my armor was gone I decided it would be fruitless to send my Infantry straight North alone, in light of the fact that Abbott had good LOS for his tanks from the Chateau area, so I sent them Northwest along the ravine to support the assault on the Chateau. At the very least I did not have to worry about the South bridge much for the rest of the game.

On the very North, I found a way to send a 2 tanks and a platoon across the ravine and up to the other side, hoping to distract him and at the very least cause some tank casualties on his side. Another tank was left on overwatch on my side of the ravine and was later sent across also.

This operation had mixed results, the entire force was eliminated, but they eliminated one enemy platoon, one hetzer (By the late coming Sherman) and one AT team, and contributed to the fighting at the Chateau, inflicting some infantry casualties there and perhaps acomplished their mission of tying up some of Abbott's resources to the North.

On the main Chateau area I was able to slowly make my way thru the rubble, but it soon became apparent that any further advance would be impossible, due the the overwhelming presence of German armor just east of the Chateau and the heavy infantry presence along the woods there.

I got lucky early in the game and killed 3 of the Tigers mainly by leaving 2 76 Shermans in view of a narrow back area between some buildings on his side, and all Tiger kills happened in that small corridor. I was able to punish his visible infantry in the western parts of the Chateau, but soon this duty became a grinder for my tanks, as a line of dead Shermans began to build up just south of the Northern bridge.

For my troops at the Chateau, there was no forward or back, just to hang on to their patches of rubble and wait for one side or the other to lose the advantage.

The hardest aspect of playing against Abbott, is that he is very skilled at breaking contact with his infantry, and the entire game I had little idea where his troop concentrations were, that lead me to have to make probe after probe, which slowly wore down my troops as I ran at least a couple of ambushes.

Hunting his tanks with my bazooka teams was virtually impossible, all his armor was restricted to a very small area and heavily surrounded by his own infantry, any hunting trips by my AT teams was their last, and his schreck team's much greater range had a huge edge on this map, there were no safe places for my tanks at the front.

I was given adequate artillery support, and I tried to guess his approach paths and troop staging areas, and I'm glad I was at least right on this. I could have held some of it in reserve, but I believe that his armor gave him the edge to make the final assault at the end and my artillery would have been of little use then.

Once the new Tigers made it to the scene I knew it would be all downhill, I only had one tank capable with dealing with them left and it's lucky streak (2 Tigers with 3 front shots) was about to end. My 75mm Shermans did a good shob against his infantry, but even his lesser tanks could take them out, I scored direct hits on at least 3 of his tanks with 75 Shermans and the 105 Sherman that came with the re-enforcements with no results, the 105 being a huge disappointment as it hit a Panzer IV twice but not once did it use its C charges.

Once the 76mm Sherman died, it was over.

In hindsight I would have rationed my AT teams better, and held the TD's to the North Bridge area, but if even this was the case, all I would have gotten would be a Draw, the map is much too small for manuevering and Abbott seemed to have eyes everywhere.

A great battle overall, I have no complaints about losing.

Gyrene