20mm Flak vs Super Pershing

I just got a turn file from one of my PBEM opponents.

In a QB a Super Pershing crested a hill and I got him in a crossfire (distance: 500m) from my two 20mm Flak positioned on my flanks. When one of them hit a track on the Pershing, immobilizing it I thought:" WOW, lucky shot!"

But it got better... :D

In the next turn the 20mm caused the light trees in which the Super Pershing sits to start burning, knocking out the beast!!

LOL!

THAT movie will be on my harddrive for a looong time...

The other way of doing it is to use the massive ROF... Eventually you'll get a gun hit, and then get the track. An immobile, gun-less steel coffin. They'll bail out.

Out of interest, was the 20mm FlaK gun the same as those in the armored cars?

NTM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

Out of interest, was the 20mm FlaK gun the same as those in the armored cars?

NTM<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it was. The PSW 234/1 was capable of AA fire, though it wasn't terribly effective in that role.

Properly defended AA guns are some of the best AT guns in the game. Maybe each shot sucks, but shoot enough, and you are bound to do something.

The 30mm chain gun was developed with this in mind. While it is not capable of defeating a T-72's armor, it is capable of knocking every protrusion from the tank's body and rendering the tank useless, assuming that the T-72 does not kill the Bradley.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

The 30mm chain gun was developed with this in mind. While it is not capable of defeating a T-72's armor, it is capable of knocking every protrusion from the tank's body and rendering the tank useless, assuming that the T-72 does not kill the Bradley.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you refering to the M242 Bushmaster 25 mm on the Bradley?

Regards, John Waters

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

Are you refering to the M242 Bushmaster 25 mm on the Bradley?

Regards, John Waters

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect so, because the 30mm Gatling can defeat a T-72s armor, at least the rear and top.

No, the Hughes chain gun I mentioned is a low recoil, light weight, 30mm cannon that is available on the open market, related to the 25mm Chain gun in the Bradley, but intended for larger turret assemblies of ground vehicles. The 30mm can penetrate more armor than the 25, but still cannot penetrate a T-72 (the GAU-7 30mm Gatling is a completely different animal).

The Chain gun was designed to engage fast moving objects, but when faced with a heavy tank, it was intended that they would "blind" it and cause damage to exterior fittings.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

The Apache attack helo does have a 30mm chain gun, perhaps that's what the post refers to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figured he meant the Apache's Hughes M230 30mm or the A-10's GAU 8, 30mm, but he said 'Bradley'.

Regards John Waters

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

The Apache attack helo does have a 30mm chain gun, perhaps that's what the post refers to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Apache 30mm Hughes Chain gun is related to the ground weapon, but fires at tanks from the top and can actually penetrate there, which light armored vehicles obviously cannot do.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

Out of interest, was the 20mm FlaK gun the same as those in the armored cars?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, it wasn't.

The FlaK gun is 113 calibres long and have plenty of ammo feed.

The gun in the non-AA dedicated AFVs (such as PzKw II, PSW 222 and PSW 234/1 were only 55 calibres and fed by a 15 round clip.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

No, it wasn't.

The FlaK gun is 113 calibres long and have plenty of ammo feed.

The gun in the non-AA dedicated AFVs (such as PzKw II, PSW 222 and PSW 234/1 were only 55 calibres and fed by a 15 round clip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting, as CM gives both the same muzzel velocity (780) and AP penetration.

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

related to the 25mm Chain gun in the Bradley, but intended for larger turret assemblies of ground vehicles. The 30mm can penetrate more armor than the 25, but still cannot penetrate a T-72

Hmmmm.... There were plenty of T-72s killed in Iraq by Bradley's 25mm cannon at ranges up to 1700m with AP rounds. Our training doctrine for Bradley gunners was to put a bunch of rounds into the turret bezel and watch the inferior armor and turret shot trap light it up like a Roman candle. The 25mm AP shell is a lot more powerful than people give it credit for (and the Russian armor is a lot crappier too smile.gif