Winter Fox Holes Stick Out Like a Sore Thumb?

Hi,

Is it me or are Fox Holes in the snow too visable?

Just playing my 1st Winter Op and I am starting a new game and I can see the fox holes of my enemy (And I guess he can see mine) without knowing what is in them.

I can understand in certain situations that newly dug holes would be visable but with snow falling they would soon be hidden.

With view to the new baby arriving soon and the winter theme being continued will this not be a problem in the new game.

My question is am I right about this feature in the game?

Is it a problem for anyone else?

And if so will it be in the new CM?

H

P.s. I hope my opponent does not read this and figure where to land his arty. And that he does not move his men before my 155 arty lands on his holes... ;)

For a little maskirovka, maskirova, aw hell, deception tactics, when doing initial placement, split your squads, thereby making twice as many foxholes. Turn one, move the squad parts back together to regain combat effectiveness.

Useful for creating foxholes for a second lines of defense on a reverse slope, or looking like you have alot more infantry than you do.

Did that to my brother once (I did buy a fair amount of infantry to begin with), and when he saw all the foxholes I got a "Jesu Christo".

During the battle, he assumed, given all the foxholes, that I was armor-light, and because of this I managed to sorely sting his attack with two veteran MkIVs and a Panther. That one left 7 Shermans smoking right before his big "push".

I think you raise an interesting point, Holien. Are you asking whether foxholes can be modded for CMBO aswell? I wonder if it's possible but I suspect that foxholes are just foxholes, and there aren't different mods for winter and summer foxholes, so you'd be forced to switch mods when you played summer/winter games. Anyone else more knowledgeable have more details?

The foxhole graphic is the same as one of the crater graphics. I think there are 2 different crater graphics, so therefore you if you mod the foxhole, you mod the foxhole. Here again, this is a prime example of bad texture sharing. Otherwise we could have modded a much more realistic foxhole graphic.

Hmmm my comments do not seem to have hit the mark.

What I am saying is that in the game I am playing the Fox holes have become visable when in a non winter game I do not think I would have seen them.

I need to test this but it seems that in the winter snow the fox holes have become visable at a distance in a normal game (with foliage etc...) they would not have been seen.

Now if this is true I think it is wrong.

I think that even with little cover a fox hole would be hard to spot, especially with snow cover.

I will try and test this tonight.

To re state my question is about how easily spotted the fox holes were, not if they could be modded to have snow on them.

However that would be nice if they could.

Does this make sense?

H

P.s. I will try and post a screen shot. Mind you my opponent will see what I can see, but that is the price of the forum.

Yes, OK. Now your question is more clear.

This has been discussed before in just how soon foxholes do become visible even in normal non-snow scenarios. So this isn't anything new. However as you know, tweaks to LOS in CMBO are not gonna happen. The question is, will CMBB use this LOS issue differently. Only time will tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Holien:

I need to test this but it seems that in the winter snow the fox holes have become visable at a distance in a normal game (with foliage etc...) they would not have been seen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the foxholes in woods? In winter, woods and (I think) scattered trees offer less concealment, so that may be why the foxholes are easier to spot. If anyone tests this they should try it in winter with and without snow, and also in tall pines, which (I think) offer the same concealment in winter as they do in summer.

Well, there's a bug in operations which lets the defending side see the all of the attackers foxholes. Line of site doesn't come into it. The defender just knows where all the foxholes are.

Of course, this bug doesn't come into play until the second battle of an op (since the attacker doesn't get foxholes in the first battle...)

Surlyben