What IS that sound?

This is a hard question to ask, mostly because its hard to describe, but here goes.

I have the newest sound mod from CMHQ (So not THAT new :rolleyes: ) and Ive noticed a pequiliar(sp?) sound during or right after a tank gets knocked out. Its like a chipmunk-hiccup-squeak-burp-like sound. Maybe its just my overly used speakers, or all those bygone highskool days of smokin', but I cannot figure out what it is. When I first heard it I thought someone was killing a small furry wooodland creature or somthing (volume a bit tooooo high.)the best guess I have it an escape hatch, but the sound of that is distinct, and differant. Maybe it is what a AP round sounds like penetrating, but that seems unlikely too. It seems to happen more often with allied vehicles, after being hit, but before escape hatch sounds.

This probably sounds nucking futs, but if anyone reads this, notices the same sound, and knows what it IS please, lemme know. Thanks yall.

After you knock out a tank, if any crew survive, there's a metal-on-metal sound of a hatch opening. This represents the survivors opening the hatches and climbing out. There's typically an explosion sound that lasts a couple of seconds, then a second or so of silence, then the metal-hitting-metal (sometimes with a slight squeak) hatch sound.

You won't here the sound if no crew survive the explosion (which happens rarely).

I think I know what he's talking about, although I would describe it as a frog hiccuping, not a squirrel. It appeared after I installed Scipio's latest mod (the big one in four parts) and I haven't been able to figure out what it is either!

Scipio, help us out here man!

Whew. Im glad Im not the only one. A duck quaking works too, that gets it right. Ive downloaded so many mods, I dont remember which one gave me this wierd sound.

Who has the best sound mods anyways? Simplicity is a key factor when choosing, I dont wanna convert some sound files, or rename them or anything( Im an American after all tongue.gif ) I like the sounds in saving private ryan alot, any based on those?

The mod with the AP rattling around sounds cool, where do I get one? I also need good artillery sounds, the ones I loaded up sound all grainy :( and me being lazy, I didnt save the old ones) Any standout sound mods?

Could the sound be one of the "Ya!" exclamations you get from German gunners when they kill an enemy tank? I've heard the chipmunks a few times myself, and this is where it seems to come from on my machine. I tried listening for it earlier today by setting up a shooting gallery in CM, but didn't hear it. So I don't know if it's gone yet or not. The 'Ya' sounds are the 0000208x.wav files. Just a thought on where to look.

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogface21:

This is a hard question to ask, mostly because its hard to describe, but here goes.

I have the newest sound mod from CMHQ (So not THAT new :rolleyes: ) and Ive noticed a pequiliar(sp?) sound during or right after a tank gets knocked out. Its like a chipmunk-hiccup-squeak-burp-like sound. Maybe its just my overly used speakers, or all those bygone highskool days of smokin', but I cannot figure out what it is. When I first heard it I thought someone was killing a small furry wooodland creature or somthing (volume a bit tooooo high.)the best guess I have it an escape hatch, but the sound of that is distinct, and differant. Maybe it is what a AP round sounds like penetrating, but that seems unlikely too. It seems to happen more often with allied vehicles, after being hit, but before escape hatch sounds.

This probably sounds nucking futs, but if anyone reads this, notices the same sound, and knows what it IS please, lemme know. Thanks yall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a case for the Master himself ;).

Which file exactly have you downloaded? The newest mod contains only gun sounds, no tank hits. The only sound that's maybe a bit strange is the Zook/Schreck/RR. I already think about a revision.

If you have used another tool to change the format from mp3 to wav than the one you can download at WFHQ, it's possible that the output format was wrong. I don't know why it happens, but I already heard about it.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]