Points for eliminating FOs

So does anyone know if you get full points for taking out FOs if they have only half of "their" ammo left? How about if they are empty? I'm wondering if I should bother hunting them down if I suspect they have already shot their wad...

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Im pretty sure you get 30 points for killing a FO reguardless of ammo left or what type of artillery its controlling.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually i was thinking about posting the same question. Thanks for answer, Joe.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogface21:

If youve done tests, perhaps you could tell me what unit is worth the largest 'bounty' and whats the smallest? Ive never thought to test it myself, and would be usefull info. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you mean, you want to know which units are worth hunting for points?

81mm mortars. 26 points for the mortar, but 6 * 6 points for the crew. Regular. Veteran is of course even better. Capturing the crew instead of killing it brings double points. Overrun a battery of 3 81mm mortars + 1 company HQ brings fat points.

Veteran tank crews, 8 points each member. Arty spotters, 30 points regular.

"Useless" vehicles like trucks that bring 2 * 6 points extra for the crew. If you see two undefended trucks, knock the trucks out and capture half of the crews, killing the other half, you get 86 points. Changing a 100-points flag to neutral may be much more effort.

Generally since meeting engagements have so few flags, it can be worth playing just for a rampage on enemy AFVs with lots of tank destroyers, getting all the vehicle knockout points and then just trying to get a minority a flags with no hope for the others since all his infantry sits on it.

Last time I did this my opponent had 1 (one) vehicle and maxed out in infantry (as Axis) and artillery and small crappy guns, but barely capable of penetrating my M36's. Gamey bastard...

On the other hand, I've won difficult MEs because I didn't go to the flags and first stroke against the expensive tail of the enemy force that was trailing the dangerous infantry running to the flags.

Other units always worth hunting: Flamethrower teams. 251/16. Nashorn. Ostwind/Wirbelwind - careful, they bite, but they are thin and expensive. Sharpshooter. MG teams. Crocodiles.

SP guns with large crews if you can get ahold of the crews, Priest, Sexton, Hummel.

Generally spoken, if you are a very skilled infantry player and instead of knocking out opponent units from a distance you can get close and use Bazooka-class weapons on them and surround them with squads, you will have a huge point advantage.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

What about if one man out of the two man FO team dies? Do you get 15 points then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't test for FOs, but other 2-teams like Bazookas count 50% per man, so it's a safe bet.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

"Useless" vehicles like trucks that bring 2 * 6 points extra for the crew. If you see two undefended trucks, knock the trucks out and capture half of the crews, killing the other half, you get 86 points. Changing a 100-points flag to neutral may be much more effort.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally, unless I have an obvious and SAFE tactical use for them--like switching units from one side of the board to the other behind cover-- I've made it standard operating procedure to exit all trucks off the rear of the board ASAP. Is there any reason not to do this?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Generally, unless I have an obvious and SAFE tactical use for them--like switching units from one side of the board to the other behind cover-- I've made it standard operating procedure to exit all trucks off the rear of the board ASAP. Is there any reason not to do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your global morale drops. I would keep them right next to the edge to be able to push them over if someone approches them.

I recenly had a conversation with a guy in the CMHQ chat room and he was saying what another player was doing was game. I told him that I thought there was almost nothing you could do in the game that is gamey. You can create a "story" about damn near every situation toexplain why you are doing it. But I gotta say folks playing for maximun points instead of proper tactics smells very gamey to me. I can't think of a time where instead of defending or attacking or in a meeting engagement I have concentrated on trying to kill the units that might have the highest point value (let alone actually knowing which do) instead of worrying about the tactical situation at hand. I am not a har core VL guy but I am a control the battlefield guy. Maybe I'm wrong here...I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Hey, Elivs, don't take it too seriously. If you really want to win, you have to go after the flags.

The only reason to go after units instead is when you know you don't have a chance against the opponent and the best you can do is aiming for a draw and hoping for a minor.

However, understanding point issues puts a quick end at crew recon and other tactics that annoy people for other reasons, so it's a two-edged sword.