Why i the AI so stupid

>Actually there are some very challenging chess

>programs out there, but I'm sure you meant

>computer strategy game (other than chess).

Mmm.. you only read my first sentence? ;)

BTW, my pet hate in CM is probably caused by the units occupying just a single one-dimensional point in 3D-space. This causes some weird LOS problems. Like being able to see a foxhole, but not the gun in the foxhole. Or having a clear LOS into ground 2 meters before a tank, 2 meters behind the tank, but not into the tank itself. Despite the LOS line being clear right through the tank in 1:1 scale.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Why i the AI so stupid

I have tried time and time again to make a battle where the AI has a chance. To no avaial the AI always chooses a route to self destruction. If it is not doing a suicide charge toward the flag it is doing some other suicide strategy. Once it starts a strategy it doesn't deviate. The programmer should make the game somewhat more challenging for the private gamer and design the AI with enough intellegence so scenarios can be tested. The current AI is useless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it that people who can't be bothered with proof reading their thread title -- let alone their actual post -- always come off sounding so stupid.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Matthew_Ridgeway ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strat:

.... The current AI is useless.

Strat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AI still whips my bottom (I don't think I am allowed to say the other word in this forum) on some scenarios and operations that I play for the first time.

I always thought I was pretty poor at the game, but now I know the AI is useless I must be more terrible than I ever imagined.

Cheers

P.S. PBEM anyone?

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Blackcat ]

I suspect most of the people who complain about the AI have played the game (including the demo) so much that they've wrung all the AI's tricks out of it. For some perspective try remembering when you first opened the box and had your first shot at 'A Walk in Paris'. First time was definitely a tougher fight. There aren't that many games on the market that people still play a year after the initial purchase and still expect surprises from.

Then there are the other players who were just born tactical geniuses from the first scenario. What mere game could hope to compete?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles:

Geek time! Now a little math. Each point on the subgrid (2m x 2m) requires two bytes: 6 bits for terrain type and 10 bits for elevation. A typical CM battlefield (1000m x 2000m) requires a 501x1001 subgrid, or 501501 points, or 979K. A large battlefield (3000m x 3000m) requires a 1501x1501 subgrid, or 2253001 points, or 4400K. Because of the need for dynamic playback, at times a copy of this information must be held internally, so we're up to 8800K for a large map. Shew!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting indeed!

Some notes: Minimum Height Resolution: 20 levels at 50 m / 2^10 = 0.1 m

(Close Combat: 0.5 m).

6 Terrain bits -> 2^6 = 64 different terrain types!

(CC4: 256 Terrain Types, CC5: 158 Terrain Types).

If the whole subgrid is kept in memory ...

1) it should theoretically be possible to place buildings on the 2x2m grid.

2) it should be possible for knocked out vehicles to block LOS on a 2x2m "Wreck" element tile as in CC.

ad 1: It is very likely that the pathfinding uses the 20x20m tiles to eliminate impassable paths (e.g. water). Randomly placed buildings would prevent this.

ad 2: Maybe BTS considers 2x2m resolution too coarse for this. Very likely considering the high detail level of view level 1.

Regards, Thomm

"CM does not use tile to tile movement ploting." - Maximus :rolleyes:

If you are wishing for a better challenge from the AI, attack the AI in heavy fog at night and buy its units for it. Give it plenty of Volkgrenedier squads and no artilery (as visibility will be 25m, and the computer only ever fires at things it can see). Give it some moble AT assets as well. heavy fog at night is TOTAL chaos.

Attacking the AI will definitely provide the most challenge you'll have against it. Since it's mainly a question of unit positioning and revealing units, the AI doesn't have to consider any broader strategy (though it should, since humans will counter-attack).

When attacking, set the map size to small so the defenders can cover it well, and also give yourself a force reduction and the computer an experience boost. It can be surprisingly challenging, particularly compared to what you might have grown to expect from ME's and defenses against the AI, where it's very weak thanks to its human/vehicle wave "tactics."