OT: Who was the Most Succcessful Tank Destroyer

Guest SS Peiper

Guest SS Peiper

Ok guys as the subject says Who was the Most successful tank destroyer in WW2. The answer is not as easy as you might think.

SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ok guys as the subject says Who was the Most successful tank destroyer in WW2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple question. That was none other than John "Mad Dog" Brisco, a West Texas oilfield worker who was 4-F due to the loss of a couple fingers in an accident before the war. During WW2, he cashed in on the scrap iron recycling market, starting a company to destroy tanks: old oil tanks, water tanks, septic tanks, you name it. He enjoyed immense success, becoming a multi-millionaire by 1945.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Guest SS Peiper

No, The guy I'm looking for was a tank commander. biggrin.gif Come on guys give me some real answers, put your thinking caps on.

SS Peiper

Guest SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

a...a...a...Micheal Wittman?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No but good guess biggrin.gif

SS Peiper

Guest machineman

There isn't a whole lot of possibilities, is there? It has to be one of the Germans, I assume, but I don't know their aces other than Wittman and Carius.

Guest SS Peiper

ok I got this from Panzer Aces 2 by Franz Kurowski ISBN 0-921991-49-5

Kurt Knispel

The Most successful Tank Destroyer of the German Army

Kurt Knispel was an exception in the German armored forces. He gought in virtually every type of tank as loader,gunner and commander. He was awarded the Iron Cross,First Class after destroying his fiftieth enemy tank. When Knispel had destroyed 126 enemy tanks (with another 20 unconfirmed kills) he was awarded the German Cross in Gold.He became the only non-commissioned officer of the German tank arm to be named in the Wehrmacht communique. As Commander of the Tiger and then a King Tiger Knispel destroyed another 42 enemy tanks. This raised his total to 168 enemy tanks destroyed, making him by far the world's top "Tank Killer." Knispel fought on the eastern and western fronts and continued to serve until his death on 29 April 1945. Although it was richly deserved, he was never awarded the Knight's Cross although he was reccommended four times.

SS Peiper

Otto Carius sounds pretty close:

Total victories (kills):

- 150-200 tanks

Awards:

- Iron Cross 2nd and 1st Class (EK II and EK I),

- Knights Cross (Ritterkreuz),

- Oakleaves to the Knights Cross (Eichenlaub),

- Wound Badge in Gold,

- Panzer Battle Badge in Silver (100)

From Achtung Panzer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS Peiper:

Kurt Knispel

The Most successful Tank Destroyer of the German Army<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many German Army tanks did he destroy?

Knispel... Knispel... What kind of name is Knispel? I'll bet that Jerry who bombed our chip shop was named Knispel...

------------------

Is "patheti-sad" a word?