Everything about operations

There are several things about Operations that I don't understand. These things are difficult to design, because the manual doesn't tell you enough.

For instance, every time you change the attack direction or map size, all unit positions are defaulted (unless they are locked?). Pretty nice to learn AFTER you've deployed two battalions into zones, huh?

Also, until very recently I didn't know under what circumstances the bn, rgt, div reinforcements showed up. Now I've been told that apparently it depends on the force ratios. I haven't read the original post though.

And I really don't understand the way frontlines and no-man's-land are handled in static operations. I was testing with an operation of mine to see how it works. I set NML as 160m, then tested by not moving any of the troops during the first battle, instead making cease fire. Closest any of the troops were to each other was 400 metres, yet the attacker's deployment zone jumped to connect with the defender's zone - the defender's zone started just at the front of the defending troops, while the attacker's zone started 400 metres from how far his forces had been. WTF? :mad: Please tell me there is some logic here, or that in CMAK this will be corrected!

Anyway, as the topic suggests, you should post here tidbits you know about Operations (or links to earlier threads) that you think other designers should be aware of. smile.gif

Yup, Bn, Rgt and Div reserves are dependant on force ratios on map at the start of the next battle.

I think it's something like

Bn 1.2:1

Rgt 1.4:1

Div 1.6:1

But I haven't checked for a while.

Setup zones aren't the best, but they make more sense if you actually move troops about.

They also depend on battle type.

It could be that no man's land only really works if it is actually contested

Advance is the simplest - any enemy overtaken by your front line are returned to their setup zones

Assault is a little more complicated, and depends on where your force has got to on the map - it averages out your front line position (High value troops in the rear do you no favours here) and then puts salients in for local gains, depending on what value of troops you have holding it. You can also have troops cut off in front of your lines.

Static is much the same, except the battlefield doesn't move about.

Troops left in top floors, vehicles or too close together at the end of the battle are moved out for the next setup phase. Obviously this can be annoying if you have a hardpressed strong point in a large building...

Some response...

For instance, every time you change the attack direction or map size, all unit positions are defaulted (unless they are locked?). Pretty nice to learn AFTER you've deployed two battalions into zones, huh?
There are a lot things you can't change after the deployment of units on the map without messing up the set-up. Try to decrease the map size for example...

Also, until very recently I didn't know under what circumstances the bn, rgt, div reinforcements showed up. Now I've been told that apparently it depends on the force ratios. I haven't read the original post though.
If you want to give the player these reinforcements you need to have a lot of casualties... on my experience with this system.

And I really don't understand the way frontlines and no-man's-land are handled in static operations. I was testing with an operation of mine to see how it works. I set NML as 160m, then tested by not moving any of the troops during the first battle, instead making cease fire. Closest any of the troops were to each other was 400 metres, yet the attacker's deployment zone jumped to connect with the defender's zone - the defender's zone started just at the front of the defending troops, while the attacker's zone started 400 metres from how far his forces had been. WTF? Please tell me there is some logic here, or that in CMAK this will be corrected!
Did you use a Battle Window ? The engine always try to split the map in 2 parts (axis & allied) after the 1st battle of the static operation when you use a 'battle window'. It doesn't matter if the attacker gained enough ground, it just 'give it away without a fight'.

Nils

[ November 07, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

I've found out that the No Man's Land works something like this: the main line is defined just like in other operations from one side of map to the other, and the distance from one Main Line to the other is the size of the NML. But troop concentrations within NML can create a deployment zone of their own (or a situation of being out of supply if there are too little troops there), and these can be quite a lot closer to enemy deployment zones - even right next to them.

It is a good idea to warn players of this feature in the briefing of a static operation, then, because otherwise they might think that the enemy starts at least 80 metres away.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Scarhead:

Note that units outside or moved back to the setup zones are not supplied.

IOW units that start the setup phase outside setup zones.

Has anyone noticed what is required for behind-the-lines units to gain their own zone (and thus getting resupply)? A certain troop density, no nearby enemies or how?

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarhead:

IOW units that start the setup phase outside setup zones.

Has anyone noticed what is required for behind-the-lines units to gain their own zone (and thus getting resupply)? A certain troop density, no nearby enemies or how? </font>

Originally posted by Scarhead:

IIRC It might happen that the btn and rgt reserves appear in the same battle. If one side got a really severe trashing.

Gruß

Joachim

I could be wrong, but I believe that this is how it used to be. In CMBB, each slot is released one by one, i.e. even if you set several slots to e.g. battalion reserve, only the first will be released for a given battle. However, my memory is a little fuzzy...

Personally, I love operations, and I think it's one of the undervalued features of CM. Granted, the manual isn't all too detailed about it, and that's partly by design and partly by omission. From my experience with making ops there are two main things to keep in mind for a successful ops design - "test-a-lot", and "make-small-ops".

Martin

• 1 month later...

This just in...

The computer looks at the relative strengths of the two sides after each battle. If one side is doing poorly, the reserves may be released. The threshold at which a reserve unit is released depends on its type. Battalion reserves aren't that hard to trigger, i.e. you don't have to be doing too badly to receive these. But divisional reserves are given only when things are going quite badly.

Attacker gets reserve if relative strength to defender is below...

1.8:1 Battalion

1.4:1 Regimental

1.0:1 Division

Defender gets reserve if relative strength to attacker is below...

1:2 Battalion

1:3 Regimental

1:4 Division

Originally posted by Industrializer:

Here is another question:

Is there any way I can influence the reinforcements arriving battle2+ ?? I know I can't set them up like the on map units but I at least would like to create 3 setup zones and devide the freshly arrived reinforces among these zones. Possible ?

Next best thing is using 3 reinforcements slots appearing in the same battle. You might get lucky and they are spread out. But you can't influence where they appear.

Gruß

Joachim

Guest Manstein22
Next best thing is using 3 reinforcements slots appearing in the same battle. You might get lucky and they are spread out. But you can't influence where they appear.
I made the experience in a newly designed operation that a locked to map and a divisional reinforcement arrived in the same area only a few meters seperated

Manstein22