Mortars vs Tanks

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Crash-Neptune:

I just had a 60mm mortar take out a hetzer and it got me wondering what is the biggest vehicle youv'e taken out with a mortar. Spotters dont count.<hr></blockquote>

Why don't spotters count? Not as accurate, after all. I would say that the biggest vehicle was probably a Nashorn -w- 60mm direct fire, though an 81 battery FO of mine fired on an unobserved area on spec and killed himself a Stug III.

It's so uncommon now to kill a vehicle with a roof that when it happens it's such a nice suprise (or not... depending).

I got a KT earlier tonight! Brit 3in. caught it in a wheatfield, which proceeded to burn, right after it bogged. The KT crew bailed! I'm soooo happy... :D Not to mention having used up my CM luck for the week! :D

I can now get some sleep. :cool:

Nathanael

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: von Murrin ]

'Cause I too sleepy to type coherently (even with two attempts).

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: von Murrin ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lah:

British 3in mortars can kickass as long as your opponents keeps their AFV's still. I've KO'd a Jagdpanther, Stugs and I think Pz IV's, try it on a custom setup! smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Ver 1.12? IF so you are quite the lucky bastage!

To get a decent chance to hit a vehicle with a mortar you need two combat bonusses over regular.

That means either a veteran motar and a 1+ combat HQ spotting for it, a crack mortar without spotting or a regular mortar with a 2+ combat HQ.

The more the better, of course, but two bonuses like this will usually make you able to ahit a vehicle within a few turns.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kirill S.:

this is going to sound crazy, but had a panther g knocked out by a 75mm smoke round... :confused: <hr></blockquote>

That's the one in million chance that the round goes through the open hatch and convinces the crew their tank is on fire...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by newlife:

That's the one in million chance that the round goes through the open hatch and convinces the crew their tank is on fire...<hr></blockquote>

I remeber : "Top penetration, knocked out"

and the tank was buttoned up

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

I recall a smoke round landing smack dab in the middle of a squad once, and it took casualties from it.

I guess smoke has a small blast charge.

My best mortar kill was a 2 inch mortar that took out two 75 HTs on different turns, while they were moving.<hr></blockquote>

An 81mm slug moving at terminal velocity does not do pretty things to a human body, even without the HE charge.

WWB