Combat Mission vs G.I. Combat

Has anyone seen TalonSofts' newest offering.

It's called "G.I. Combat" and looks very similar to "Combat Mission". Not that another wargame offering is ever a bad thing, but I'm not entirely pleased with some of TalonSofts' buisness practices of the past. I believe this is a company run more by lawyers than gamers. I cannot see TalonSoft creating a game with open code, the way BattleFront has, allowing all the great user created mods to come out. They also claim that their game will feature realtime strategy. I guess I'm old fashioned, because I prefer the turn base of wargames like "Combat Mission". Being a father with three kids and a fulltime job, my life is realtime strategy enough. I like to be able to control the pace of the game myself.

Battlefront is a shining star in the abyss tha is computer gaming, but remember a few short years ago Talonsoft was about all we had. Don't knock them for falling on hard times, just appreciate what we have.

Any game which brings wargames, strategy, and the sacrifices of world war 2 to people's lives is a commendable thing.

My two pfennigs

((Hi mom!))

Wyatt, open code has nothing to do with user mods in Combat Mission. The user mods in CM replace graphics and sound and nothing else. The beauty of CM is that the graphic files they use are in a standard format, and not a proprietary or compressed format.

All code (source) for CM is closed. Just wanted to clear that up.

I've heard alot about GI combat( in fact heard about CM through one of there forums) and thinks that it is pointless. GI combat is just like CM except it doesn't have as many vehicles and doesn't have turns. Its scheduled to come out about the same time CM2 is suppose to. I think CM is better though.

Guest Rex_Bellator

Hi Mom etc & would also like to say that if GI Combat is of the same standard as Talonsoft's appalling recent releases then it will not be worthy to even be the coaster you use for your beer while playing CM.

Just forget it and stay here with a quality product and a game company that cares about it's customers.

------------------

In blossom today

then scattered,

life is so like a delicate flower,

how can one expect the fragrance

to last forever

Vice Admiral Takijiro Ohnishi - Commander Kamikaze Special Attack Force

Guest Madmatt

Why hello!

Okay, old topic and not one which is permitted in this forum. Please take all X-game vs. Y-Game discussions to the General Forum.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 04-03-2001).]