My contribution to CM...

I'm not the kind of person to go and buy my computer games but I thought I should buy this one since it set such a high standard of exellence and I like to support the small companies that actually put effort and love into their games. When I got the bill I found the total to be $82.13 Cdn. Now maybe it's just me but I find this a little steep for a computer game that supposedly has less overhead costs than normal. Any input?

(Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it again. It just bugs me when I go into stores and see good videogames for $40 or less)

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 02-27-2001).]

Well, BTS is charging $45 US plus shipping and handling, IIRC.

That's what you pay in the US for a new game. Its what I've paid for a great many new games, all of them inferior to this one.

And you live in Canada (higher shipping?) and through no fault of your own, your country's currency is very weak against the dollar now, (which is good for your country's exports, btw)

So yes, you pay a high price for the game. But I guarantee you that if you have any passion for war gaming or this genre or WW2, a few days after you've started playing, you will feel that the price you paid was fair. This game is that good.

CM is pricey, but when you compare the dollars spent per hours of enjoyment you'll get, it's a heck of a bargain compared to many other games and other forms of entertainment.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

Terence, you can usually get new high-profile games in the US cheaper than $45. Check for sales at the megastores (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.--they list their current promotions on their sites), online retailers, eBay, etc. More like the $25-35 range.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

I know, that CM is a very good game by the way. It's just a lot of money for a poor university student like myself. Plus it will probably make me fail out and make me require another year of uni!!

Therefore total cost of CM = 82.13 Cdn + 2,300.00 Cdn (tuition)+ missed oportunity to take that girl I like out

= A lot of money and no action! (no non-WWII related action anyways!)

smile.gif

Originally posted by Gremlin:

Terence, you can usually get new high-profile games in the US cheaper than $45. Check for sales at the megastores (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.--they list their current promotions on their sites), online retailers, eBay, etc. More like the $25-35 range.

Yeah, B rate games or games that have been out for a while and have "cooled off" thus the price goes down.

I just went out to Best Buy and picked up a rather lame game in my opinion. It was Star Fleet Command Volume II and I dropped 50 bucks for it. I lasted for about 2 hours on my computer.

CM has been one of the best investments I have made in computer entertainment in a long time.

BTW Canuck, sorry for the inflated price but Cannada pretty much sucks when it comes to paying for anything fun. Beer, Cigs, going out in general. Move to America and reap the benefits of low cost computer gaming, otherwise find a friend in the states that will buy the stuff and mail it to you.

Jeff

------------------

When nuclear weapons are frozen then only freezers will have nuclear weapons.

Jeff, no, like I said, the hot new games can often be had for those prices. In fact, those are often easier to get "on the cheap" due to initial release promotions. The expensive games tend to be the ones that have been out a while but have not yet been reduced it to "budget" status. You can get great deals; just shop around and avoid those mall stores like EB.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Jeff, no, like I said, the hot new games can often be had for those prices. In fact, those are often easier to get "on the cheap" due to initial release promotions. The expensive games tend to be the ones that have been out a while but have not yet been reduced it to "budget" status. You can get great deals; just shop around and avoid those mall stores like EB.

Then I must have been doing something wrong for the past 15 years.

Besides, rebates don't count. You are still out the money and it usually takes 'em 2-3 months before they get ya the rebate.

Sorry but I totally disagree. I have been buying computer games for 15 years and the fact of the matter is that when a game is popular and hot and just released it is expensive. Usually 45-50 bucks. If it is not then there are two reasons...

1. It sucks.

2. The retailer doesn't realize the game is good and is marking it down because of his large quantity in stock.

I am looking at buy.com.

Mech Warrior IV $54.95

Deus Ex (Old game) Still - $34.69

Crimson Skies (Critically Acclaimed Flight game) - $52.69

Diablo II (Wildly popular and old release) still - $38.99

Combat Flight Sim 2 - $39.99

Links 2001 - $46.79

I would classify all these games as "Worth buying" Notice how only one is barely within that 25-35 dollar range.

Now for games that ARE within your range:

Homeworld Cataclysm (Home world add-on) - $29.09

Roller Coaster Tycoon (Really old game) - 25.69

Star Trek Elite Force (Bad reviews) - $24.29

No one lives Forever (Only bright star but it has an old engine and simple FPS) - 27.79

Unreal Tournament (Old release) - 20.69

I will agree that occasionally you can find a "deal" and save a few bucks on a new release but in general the rule always applies. The bigger the hype and greater the game the more it costs.

Jeff

------------------

When nuclear weapons are frozen then only freezers will have nuclear weapons.

I would disagree with that. For almost a decade the typical price for a hot new release has been from $45 to $50. And by 'new release' I mean a game that has a bunch of promotional hype, and has been released in the past three months. If it's actually a good game, then it stays at that price for a good 6-9 months, until the graphics start to look old.

The real expense of buying computer games is the possibility of wasting a block of money on a completely lousy game. I probably buy or receive as presents about 20 games a year. Of those, I would guess eight are worthless due to bugs or bad design. Another eight are fun for 1-3 weeks, like a one-way romp through a shooter. The remaining four are the reason to play computer games, because they can be replayed for months, usually against friends. But you can waste an awful lot of money finding them.

Originally posted by Canuck:

I know, that CM is a very good game by the way. It's just a lot of money for a poor university student like myself. Plus it will probably make me fail out and make me require another year of uni!!

Therefore total cost of CM = 82.13 Cdn + 2,300.00 Cdn (tuition)+ missed oportunity to take that girl I like out

= A lot of money and no action! (no non-WWII related action anyways!)

smile.gif

The trick is to just go to a college like mine, where you wouldn't consider taking the majority of the girls out. Lots of time to play CM.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Well...

Most of the time, unless a game has just come out, you can get it on the cheap somewhere or somehow. Good titles do hold their value longer, but you can find deals most of the time. CM is different. First, there is no mass market distribution. Second, CM is awesome. You can't find it for sale on e-bay. You can't find it for sale on BBS's. You can't find a used copy anywhere. Nobody who has it will part with it.

I paid twice as much for CM as I have paid for any game in years. I still feel a little guilty, but I don't feel like I have been cheated. Enjoy it. You will get your money's worth.

consider it this way, you won't buy another game for a 1/2 year AT LEAST... so that saves you mucho $$$

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by russellmz:

consider it this way, you won't buy another game for a 1/2 year AT LEAST... so that saves you mucho $$$

That's the truth!! Got it in first release (actually got caught in the first sellout to be accurate) and didn't buy another piece of software 'til Christmas... as well as having the CD in the drive for the entire summer/fall... best seventy plus (I'm Canajun too) I have EVER spent on a game in better than XXXX years!! (age deleted to protect the embarassed)

Canuck! Buying ONE copy is definitely NOT enough. Buy 2. Yes, I have bought 3! biggrin.gif It worths every blood-n-sweat money.

Clarify one point: extra US$10 is charged for shipping internationally.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

It cost me aproximately £45 sterling(and about 10 days of nail biting anguish)to get my hands on CMBO.That was las year sometime.Since then I've played it almost everyday(sometimes I have to go to work,then theres the wife..)I visit this board at least once a day,and have gotten a lot of enjoyment from it,as well as downloading countless mods to improve the gaming experience even further.I know that you dont need to buy the game to use the board,but without the game there would be no board.Compare that to a trip to my local Electronic Boutique in Glasgow where I paid £30 for B172,then a return trip a week later to return it for a refund.Sometimes the extra money,time,and effort are well worth it.

Cannuck,

CM is the best value game I've ever bought. Worth every penny and then some. Also, and here's the rub, it's the only game my wife likes and now SHE'S the one who wants to upgrade biggrin.gif

$45 is cheap when I compare it to some of the crappy movies I've seen and lousy beer I've been forced to drink.

Then I must have been doing something wrong for the past 15 years.

Apparently so smile.gif I've been buying games for over twenty years, so I know how to find a bargain. If you check the sales circulars for the megastores like Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. each week, for instance, a number of major new titles are often available for around $30. You have to get them that particular week, though, or you'll find them reverting to the usual exorbitant prices. And I'm not talking about mail-in rebates, which admittedly are a pain.

Similarly, there are online retailers that have good bargains, not to mention auction services like eBay.

And Buy.com is overpriced on just about everything, btw.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?