Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is this for real?

Yep

But not the warhead in the missile it was the secondary explosion from the "tactically" loaded tank that caused the massive boom

A T-72 carried a LOT of ammo and if it all went off (which it tends to do) you get a nasty explosion

Holy cow!

"Where's Lt. Ivan?"

"Over there . . . and under that rock . . . and in that tree . . . and by that road . . ."

My opponent's tanks don't look like that when I blow them up! BTS DO SOMEFINK! smile.gif

MrSpkr

[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

A T-72 is an old tank. I would not be surprised to see a Javelin make short work of it, in fact, I would be surprised if a Javelin did not!

Although, like others have said, there is no way that the warhead on the Javelin did all that damage.

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

A T-72 is an old tank. I would not be surprised to see a Javelin make short work of it, in fact, I would be surprised if a Javelin did not!

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good point, however I do not believe it invalidates the test. IIRC, the Javelin is a British ATGM? I'm not up on my modern stuff the way I used to be, but if Brit peacekeepers run into a soviet tank, odds are it's going to be a T-72 in one incarnation or another.

(Can you say "Catastrophic ammunition detonation"?.......I knew you could)

:eek: Bart :eek:

> but if Brit peacekeepers run into a soviet tank

Then in all likelihood they are not peacekeepers smile.gif

> it's going to be a T-72 in one

> incarnation or another

That's a very wide statement! Thus, T-90 is also "another T-72 incarnaion". Although it's a totally different protection/mobility/firepower combo.

OTOH, it might just as well be T-55 or even T-34. That's what they have in Africa and even in Yugoslavia.

Btw, I've seen some other ammo explosion results - they were not anywhere as impressive as this one. This tank was completely demolished.

Actually the Javelin is the new standard US ATGM for dismounted troops. It is a top-attack missle, meaning it pulls a little climb and dive stunt at the end of the trajectory to hit the thinner top armor. It should be able to take out any existing tank unless said tank is fitted with reactive armor (exploding blocks on the exterior to re-direct its blast). It has already been deployed.

The Dutch and Spanish have ordered them too. More info on them here -

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/javelin/

Tanks in WWII would not stand a chance against these stats look a the specs for the Javelin:

Total weight

22.3 kg

Missile

Weight

11.8 kg

Length

1.08 m

Diameter

126 mm

Range

2,000 m

Seeker

imaging infra-red, CMT, 64 x 64 staring focal plane array,

8 - 12 micron

Guidance

lock-on before launch, automatic self-guidance

Warhead

tandem shaped charge

Propulsion

2-stage solid propellant

Command Launch Unit

Weight

6.4 kg

Day sight magnification

Night sight magnification

x 4, x 9

Another interesting thing about the javelin is it has no warhead! Like the javelin of old it does all its work with kinetic energy. A heavy metal bar with a rocket motor attached. The picture's a bit suspicious though, the missile striking at such a high angle of attack. I wonder how it would'a done against the T72's highly sloped bow.