I am wondering about some of the terminology used on this board and am wondering if we can better define some terms for the benefit of all. The following are based on my own observations - it appears to me that there is some overlap between the categories.

How close am I - and have I missed any?

Mod slut - to him, new artwork is like eating potato chips. Put up a mod showing the markings of the French 2d Armored Division, and he has to have it - regardless of the fact that not once has he ever played French (or against them). Has 327 seperate folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub folders with bmps on his hard-drive, just as many batch files, and has the read me texts printed off and in a 3 ring binder. New

acquisitions are also updated on his Excel spreadsheet, categorized by nationality, unit, mod artist, file size and date.

Mod grog - other people's mods aren't good enough for him, because they fail to

include the really imporant details, such as the aglets at the end of the laces doing up the Waffen SS smock, or the proper tactical markings for all 24 rifle companies in your standard panzergrenadier division. Thinks he knows what the "correct" shade of panzer grey or ordnance tan should be, and will swear up and down that no one else's colour scheme can match his for authenticity. Also thinks it matters to others.

Mod artist - doesn't care a fig about authenticity, he just wants it to look GOOD. Historically inconvenient details are left out in favour of aesthetics. Doesn't profess to know much about history, does profess not to care too much. Knows every shortcut and hotkey in Paint Shop Pro, and wears plaster bandages on his wrists because of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Mod snob - thinks he is the final arbiter of what is acceptable and pleasing to the

eye. Routinely pans any new mods rather than offering constructive criticisms or

useful commentary. Pans often devolve into personal attacks on designers and their work. Often brags about the hardware he runs CM on, only downloads the largest

file sizes imaginable, and sneers at anything dubbed "lo-res" while demanding that future CM editions be designed for high end machines such as his. Also deluded into thinking his opinions matter to everyone else.

Mod clown - uses his imagination to provide whimsical mods such as HMS Pinafore costumes for his British paratroops, or a Partridge Family Bus camo scheme for his Sd Kfz 7 prime mover. Lives secure in the knowledge that no one can actually diss him since it was obviously not intended to be taken seriously. Spends a lot of time wondering how he can add the appearance of fins to the Kubelwagen for his Batmobile mod.

Modist Envy - runs a Pentium 133. 'nuff said.

EDIT - added by Maastrician:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Mod Purist --

Believes that CM should be played as God (in the form of Steve and Charles) intended it, with no mods at all. Constantly tries to convince others that he has a perfectly servicable machine, he just likes it this way. Tried the MDMP-1 a year ago and found it interesting. Even played with it for a day or two before he found out that Steve doesn't use Mods. He's considering playing some user-created scenarios but feels it might be too dirty.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Added by Babra:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>THE MOD SQUAD: Two or more modders who see that each is capable of something the other isn't and think, "Hey, if we do this together it just HAS to look cool." That's the last thing they ever agree on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Kampfgruppe_Commander ]

Very good! Might I add one that you missed?

Mod Pureist --

Belives that CM should be played as god (in the form of Steve and Charles) intended it, with no mods at all. Constantly tries to convince others that he has a perfectally servicable machine, he just likes it this way. Tried the MDMP-1 a year ago and found it interesting. Even played with it for a day or two before he found out that Steve doesn't use Mods. He's considering playing some user-created scenarios but feels it might be too dirty.

--Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kampfgruppe_Commander:

How close am I - and have I missed any?

Mod slut - to him, new artwork is like eating potato chips. Put up a mod showing the

markings of the French 2d Armored Division, and he has to have it - regardless of the

fact that not once has he ever played French (or against them). Has 327 seperate

folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub folders with bmps on his hard-drive, just as many

batch files, and has the read me texts printed off and in a 3 ring binder. New

acquisitions are also updated on his Excel spreadsheet, categorized by nationality,

unit, mod artist, file size and date.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

its true !! its true!! I'm a mod slut

:cool:

SS Peiper

Guest Babra

I would add: THE MOD SQUAD: Two or more modders who see that each is capable of something the other isn't and think, "Hey, if we do this together it just HAS to look cool." That's the last thing they ever agree on.