WineCape's Wine Tourney II

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about posting the results while the dispute remained unsettled. I didn't connect the dispute email with the game result email. My mailbox was packed and I was in a hurry. I would like to clear one thing up however. I didn't post a dispute to the forum, just a game result. I then simply advised people not to surrender since every point counts. It was obvious to me that Mike_D surrendered because of the lopsided score. Anyway, I'm sorry for posting the game prematurely. It won't happen again I can assure you.

I think it's time to forget the Chuckle/Mike_D game and move on. There was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding which I've ruled on to the best of my ability. There are lots more games to play so lets look to them.

The Mike_D/Chuckle dispute teaches one valuable lesson. Never ASSUME anything in negotiating a game. Make sure everything is spelled out clearly. This way you know your opponent understands the agreement.

Judge Treeburst155 out.

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Is the Chuckles vs MikeD score still going to count? I know what was stated before but I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Chuckles, nothing against you but do you think you could have given the rest of us a chance before you sent him home packing. ;)

To all,

Obviously Mike_D did not like my decision against him in his dispute. I did the best I could and tried to be as fair as possible. Really I did! It is very important to communicate clearly with one another. When you think you have come to an agreement repeat back to your opponent the details (as Chuckle did, and Mike_D did not). This is the only way to be sure you both understand the agreement the same way.

Rather than defend my decision further on this thread (which is supposed to be for the fun stuff) I will send the pertinent documents to you privately if you wish to review my decision in this dispute. I feel sure that most of you, if not all, would agree with my decision to let the game stand.

Now, since Mike_D has dropped out I have no choice but to declare the game null and void. In other words Chuckle, you are SOL on that whopping 94 points. That's the breaks. There is no other way to keep things fair. Everyone should delete Mike_D from their contact list. There are now nine players in the tourney so you have eight games to play. Actually this is good since you guys aren't exactly flying through these games.

As of now we have only one game completed. That game is Fangorn/Tincan.

The standings:

Fangorn 75

Tincan 21

The Rest 0

The Right Honorable Judge Treeburst155 of The First International Court of Tourney Disputes. (self appointed for life)

Man thats sour grapes MikeD!

Im playing in the #1 wine tourney. I had a misunderstanding in 1 of my games. I told my enemy to make sure he had an afv for each gun he bought. He thought this excluded trucks and thus bought 2 1/2 tracks for his 2 guns. I bought 3 trucks for my 3 guns. At the end of the game (I won 68-32) my enemy cried foul and the dispute was handed to treeburst. He judged that there was a misunderstanding and the game would have to be replayed. GAH! I thought. Man I was pissed. I even considered pulling out. But after a few days I calmed down, accepted the decision and replayed the game. Won 83-17 this time smile.gif

Lesson: Walk away and calm down. DON'T POST ANGRY!

A quick update from me , on the status of games.

Stug : He has now seen my mad Tank driver quite cooly present the rear of his tank for the Shermans to have an easy kill. Not too sure how this is gonna go...I don't like the terrain I am in as it is hampering my movement.

Fangorn: Everything was going ok , until I decided to push my troops and tanks into the town on his flank. I was really counting on the thick fog to hamper his spotting. Suffice to say I got annihilated.(note to self liberal smoke use , should have been used here.)

I really enjoyed that game and I thought I had the victory in the palm of my hands how little I knew smile.gif

MrSpkr: early stages yet , however I think I have deployed reasonably well..we shall see

Chuckles: Going well , though I havent spotted his armour yet....

RobM: Hanging in the balance, could go either way.

Marcus: Gonna have to watch this one carefully. If I make the wrong decisions in the next 2 turns I could very well lose this.

Mike_D: Very quiet game , no contact at all, though it sounds like he has retired.

Just trying to think who else I am playing urmmm .Think I am missing someone......

Overall , thoroughly enjoying it .

Just an update for those who care. This is sent from work so I may have a player or 2 switched.

Tankbuster- Nearing the end of the game, at least in my opinion. My men are about to rout. TB's halftracks are like cockroaches all over the battlefield.

Pro: TB's force selection.

Con: My overconfidence in my Pumas.

Tincan- The hampsters are smiling on me. It's rare, ok never, that I put the right troops in the right spot but this actually has happened. I've gotten a few good shots on his Shermans and my snipe..um..er..file clerks have performed well.

Pro: A BIG irresistible hill for Tincan.

Con: Me not targeting it with MORE ord.

MrSpkr- Still in the early stages of a City affair. This one should get bloody. If I remember right, MrSpkr executed an excellent in the fog, in the city tactic that would have been devestating if it weren't for my already timid Poles. I'll explain more on his tactic after the tourney. Although I here Chuckles already knows ;)

Pro: No tanks lost yet

Con: No tanks lost yet

Sledge- Although it's in it's early stages there's been action early when a couple of of "stray" arty rounds hit my setup area killing a highly decorated file clerk.

Pro: I like the map and force selection.

Con: Momentof silence for file clerk set me back a turn.

Fangorn- Starting all over. Due to an oversight on my part I "accidently" ;) included a Hetzer in a short-75 game. Fang was nice enough to allow the game to start over. This was shaping up to be a fun one.

Pro: Starting again with more knowledge

Con: Hetzer didn't even get to fire a shot

MikeD- I was beating him so badly and he was so afraid of my wrath that he ran west to Chuckles and surrendered. Ok, actually we were having alot of connection problems and never got our game off the ground.

I'd like to thank everyone for being such good sportsmen so far. I'll post the other games later.

I like these updates so I am going to post one.

Fangorn the feared?-About to start...

Marcus - The game started and the Brits were sighted almost immediatly. 2 Armored scout vehicles were sighted trying to flank my positions and were imediatly dispatched. My troops advanced into the edge of town where they met the King of Battle (Artillery) which promply brought the buildings they were in down around them. While this was going on a couple of tense moments were happening, My StuH was taken almost imediatly then a 251/9 and finally a Puma. My Assault gun crew finally got their heads out of their a** and took out one of his tanks and he also has a halftrack sitting dead in the town. Although it looks bad for Army Heer... but that is all Im going to divulge for now.

Tincan - Still way to early to tell, was having trouble with his Armored support but once again my assault vehicle finally started inflicting damage. Very heavy fighting. Caught the Amis J Walking and opened up on them.

StugIII - Hmmm what can I say about this battle, swiss cheese? Actually I think StugIII is trying to lure me into a false sense of security. tongue.gif His Pumas were no match against my GI bum rushes nor to my surprise Halftrack MG's. I believe one of them was taken out by a mortar :D. The heaviest fighting so far occured at the edge of the map in a lone building and a few sparse trees. To my Infantries complete and utter surprise there was not one Puma but 2 and not one Arty spotter but a whole platoon waiting in the woods when I rushed with a platoon of regular joes with no support from my many halftracks. Imediatly they fell into hand to hand combat with the hun and knocked out 1 Puma. Their numbers were dwindling so I had them fall back into the building and those in the building fell back against the far wall while 2 halftracks rushed to their aid. The Germans stormed the building and a bar fight ensued. One lone german stood (ran away). This lone troop in a feble attempt at some sort of retribution took a couple of pot shots at a halftrack and was immediatly cut to shreds. The other Puma was trying to get around the building for a better shot at the Americans but was riddled by MG fire from the second halftrack. Little did StugIII know that Audie Murphy was in that platoon. ;) Now I have the Hun on the run I hope. Unless I am extreemly foolish I belive I have this one in the bag. On force selection we decided to go with mechanized infantry so I decided my guys needed something to ride around in and to be fair they all got something to ride around in :D

BenCG aka Chuckles - Still too early to tell, looks like a rough time for my German troops is ahead based on spot reports relayed by my scouts. <-- me trying to lure Chuckles into a false sense of security. :cool:

MrSpkr - Excelently constructed scenario created by... cmon MrSpkr you know Im terrible with names. I'll figure it out this person definatly deserves credit for this masterpiece. The terrain is supperb the objectives make sense. So far this fight could go either way, just gotta keep my Shermans away from his tanks. On one side of the map I believe I hold the upper hand on the other I think MrSpkr has a good chance of pulling a victory, then again....

Nuf said on this one.

Gashford - Awaiting setup no response yet.

Gandh aka Sledge - Just started with low quality troops and rain. This should be interesting.

Thats it for now good luck to all of you your gonna need it :eek:

Roger Wilco and out <-- pissin off the ex military and military out there :mad:

Here's the rest...

Marcus- We're fighting for control of a city in decent weather. Marcus just transported some infantry into the center of town on the backs of some tanks and in some german halftracks. Problem for Marcus...I had the approaches to the center of town covered with a soon-to-be-decorated Sherman. He's knocked out a Puma and a halftrack and is lining up on a StuH. I anxiously await our next turn.

Pro: I think I actually have a good plan (read: curse of doom).

Con: That StuH may get off the first shot.

Chuckles: Again with the city map. Both of us are proceeding cautiously into the town. No contact yet. When it happens it will probably be at very close range.

Pro: looks like I'll actually get into the city without someone shooting at me or raining arty on my head.

Con: I still have all that to look forward to.

Gashford: I sent email requesting a setup or prefrences. No response. If someone has a game going with him let me know.

If I missed someone or we don't have a game going let me know immediately.

P.S. I read the transcipts between MikeD, Chuckles, and Treeburst155. I agree with Tree's ruling because the setup parameters were kind of vague. I understand MikeD's frustration but I don't endorse quiting the tournement. Many of us took time away from our families to participate. The time that was spent in our games with MikeD is now wasted with nothing to show for it. If MikeD wanted to re-enter the tournement I would be ok with that because I think his decision may have been made in frustration and haste. It goes to show that we all have to understand the agreements before starting the game.

I am just unorganized as heck, so if I owe you a setup in this one, PLEASE email me - I am cleaning some spaces on my dance card as we speak.

Tankbuster - I think Berli designed that one, but I will doublecheck when I get home. It is still very much up in the air, but is just a heck of a lot of fun in the mean time.

Stug III - You were fortunate. Very fortunate. I will explain after the tourney.

Other games. I am not sure how good Tincan's position is because I haven't seen much of him. Time will tell.

Chuckles - is bleeding all over the place. While this one is a bit bloody, it is more so for him than me in a big way. Chalk this one up to the good guys.

mike_8g - loads of fun. pretty evenly balanced, still, but I hold the victory flag, he knows it, and I have thrown out two attempts to get it back. I love the sounds of Sten guns at midnight . . .

Fnagorn - did we start our match yet? I seem to remember sending it out, but I am not sure . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Stug III - You were fortunate. Very fortunate. I will explain after the tourney.

. . .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it has anything to do with what happened to Chuckles I think I may already have an idea ;)

I was unaware Gashford dropped out. Hey everybody!! Gashford dropped out. OK, my jobs done for now. :D

EDIT: Mr Spkr, I sure would like to get my hands on that scenario you and Tank Buster are playing. How about sending it my way. Please!

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but this is a list of all the players left in the tourney in order of predicted finish:

1. StugIII

2. MrSpkr

2. TankBuster

2. Marcus

2. Chuckles

2. Tincan

2. Fanghorn

2. Sledge

WOW. Look at the log jam for 2nd place. :eek:

Is this all the folks remaining? I almost want to ask what everyone believes, based on their experience vs. each other, what they think the order of finish will be. If someone does post, this will probably turn into a flame thread. :cool:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Each player may reject the map only ONE time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*wooden cogs whirl in head*... New strategy! Reject map on the last turn if you are losing. Then we can all play 2-3 games per opponent... Noooooo!

Seriously Treeburst you are doing a fine job bangin' that gavel.

Still need to start up games w/ Chuckles and MrSpkr. Playing allies in 4 of 5 so far.

Stug , I really got irate when you knocked out my Veteran PzIV , I was fuming. The language I was using when that tank brewed was impressive......heehee.

Just to say a big thank you to Treeburst for arranging this tourney . I have learnt a lot so far from playing .

e.g better use of the pause command regarding armour

better use of arty , Marcus I hate you smile.gif

better use of terrain for armour

use smoke to cover advances across open terrain

DONT use WWI type rushes for troops (I still do this and don't know what comes into me thinking that this will work).

I hope I at least get a draw from a game.. smile.gif:D

Tannkbuster -

I stand corrected. Moriarty designed that map.

Chuckles -

Is that the best you can do? A couple of jeeps on one side and a platoon or two of infantry on the far flank?

Too bad for you that I reinforced that flank a couple fo turns back. Have fun, though, and do try not to bleed on the uniforms too much - the dry cleaners have such a hard time with the stains.