New Hi Res Canadian Sherman III and Sherman V mods

Iggi,

If the helmet is for real, I can only presume that its yuppie designers were thinking of the current rage of "nationbuilding" strategies where armies are used for crowd control and riot suppression of civilians and similar rabble. No veteran grunt would want to carry that reflective plastic set of GI Joe gargoyles into a real battlefield environment where nasty, mean people with guns at least as big as his own were looking to kill him and his mates.

[This message has been edited by gunnergoz (edited 02-25-2001).]

Are you serious, Michael? A COMBAT BRA? Had to be ballistic kevlar, right? Spall liner and DU insert optional? I'll bet the Brits have a chobham version in the works as well...And no doubt the Russkies have infrared deflectors mounted on their reverse-engineered version! No wonder we beat Saddam's Sad Sacks...Makes me glow with pride to live in the West, you know!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

We do still use .50 calibre machine gun. Up until the 80s we used the M1919 air cooled Browning .30 cal, only ours were rechambered for NATO ammo.

Hey, if it works, why change it? We still use Vietnam era M35 trucks and M113s, but our truck fleet was recently grounded for corroded rims. frown.gif

The Coyote is cutting edge though, and the LAV III is also being adopted by the US forces. Our recent frigate class was judged to be one of the best designs in the world.

It's kind of feast or famine up here. We are finally getting camouflage uniforms (for all the difference they make) and I think I am scheduled to get mine in 2002. We recently got new winter kit and it is the best stuff I've ever seen. Unfortuntately we have other priorities up here, like universal health care wink.gif

Hey, don't forget our WWII era 105mm towed arty either. It may have just gotten newer barrels, but it is essentially the same gun. But it works, so why change for the sake of change only, I haven't seen much newer stuff that is any better. And that helmet pic, he should have used the one with the tinted visor, very cool looking. New winter kit is excellent, but now we need decent winter boots!

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

As a Canadian I didn't see anyting wrong with Shadow's sig, in fact, I found it quite appropriate. Canadians are always second guessing and questioning ourselves, why not with our military history, eh? smile.gif

Regarding our current military state, I would say that it doesn't truely matter, as, if we were ever in a state of war I am pretty sure that if we needed anything the US would be more than willing to sell it to us at a good rate (ie. less than they paid to create it). Why should we have a hundred fighter aircraft ready at a moments notice? Why have tanks other than Leopard I's? If we ever get into a situation like WWI or WWII, we could immediately upgrade to American equipment. Unless our enemy was the US... smile.gif

Originally posted by Major Tom:

As a Canadian I didn't see anyting wrong with Shadow's sig, in fact, I found it quite appropriate. Canadians are always second guessing and questioning ourselves, why not with our military history, eh? smile.gif

Regarding our current military state, I would say that it doesn't truely matter, as, if we were ever in a state of war I am pretty sure that if we needed anything the US would be more than willing to sell it to us at a good rate (ie. less than they paid to create it). Why should we have a hundred fighter aircraft ready at a moments notice? Why have tanks other than Leopard I's? If we ever get into a situation like WWI or WWII, we could immediately upgrade to American equipment. Unless our enemy was the US... smile.gif

We'd be in trouble if we had to fight the Germans, though - our new cam pattern looks very much like flektar, and what with our Leopards and Iltises running around, it would be tough to tell the two apart!

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Hey, if it works, why change it? We still use Vietnam era M35 trucks and M113s, but our truck fleet was recently grounded for corroded rims. frown.gif

And don't your transport aircraft have a serious corrosion problem around the toilets, the fixing of which will cost a few millions. Better sit down in the future when using the bathroom while airborne... ;p

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by iggi:

Actually the Canadian army seems to have improved in many areas:

protection1.jpgtransport2.jpg

http://www.army.dnd.ca/equip/hab/index_e.html

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 02-24-2001).]

Ahhhh yes. The good ol' clothe the soldier program. You should see the body armour that we're gonna get. It looks like something out of the movie aliens.

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Our Army of One

This concerns me. The motto "an army of one" doesn't promote team work within an army. That could get nasty in a combat situation.

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Originally posted by iggi:

A hairdryer? LOL

Seriously though.. wouldn't the glass give a reflection of the sun?

No. It's non reflective. A few units in my area have the helmets already. If you ask me, unless the visor is bullet proof it's useless and is just going to get in the way.

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Originally posted by Roborat:

New winter kit is excellent, but now we need decent winter boots!

Yeah, the first time I was given a TI card, a pair of muklucks, and the winter mittens I turned around and asked the guy how we were supposed to pull the triggers on our weapons with mittend on that were twice the size of our hands. The winter stuff is warm, but it's too damn clumsy to wear. Just as a question, does anyone else wear their normal combat boots underneath the mukluck, rather than using the liner?

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

here's some of the cooler stuff that you didn't post.

protection2.jpg

protection3.jpg

These are "frag" vests.

protection4.jpg

The full suit, including "balistic protective eyewear. ie: sunglasses

transport1.jpg

And the sexy new webbing.

That's all for this post folks,don't want to overload the system.

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Do you see where the bayonet is placed? At first thought I thought that it protects the sternum and at the same time is easily reached. But do you think that if you go prone fast that you might..just might get stabbed in your neck with it? (With the cover on).

...nahhhh

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 02-25-2001).]

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

I always carried my combat knife on the upper left web strap, tang down, under a battle dressing. Never had any unfortunate incidents.

Ahh. You're one of those guy that wraps the dressing in guntape and sticks it on your shoulder wink.gif I do the same thing with my knife, but the dressings ger shoved in my but pack

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!

Guys, don't worry. Anyone tries to mess with our "northern brothers", just give a yell and the good ole US of A will come up there and stomp a mud hole in 'em. wink.gif Save your money and fix your health care system....or whatever. wink.gif

------------------

expert \'ek-,spert'\ n : someone who knows more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Yeah, the first time I was given a TI card, a pair of muklucks, and the winter mittens I turned around and asked the guy how we were supposed to pull the triggers on our weapons with mittend on that were twice the size of our hands. The winter stuff is warm, but it's too damn clumsy to wear. Just as a question, does anyone else wear their normal combat boots underneath the mukluck, rather than using the liner?

I would never even consider wearing normal combat boots under anything if you want to stay warm. The only boot that is worth a damn in the arctic are bunny boots (not bunny slippers). Unless you can get ahold of some real seal mukluks with a walrus sole. Can you wear non-issue gear? 100% merlino wool socks are incredible. Don't even question the ridiculous price. Get them. I was an Eskimo Scout for a time and as long we were green on the outside it didn't matter what we wore underneath. I had extra big BDUs for the winter so I could wear enough gear to sleep in the snow at -40.

As a matter of fact I'm wearing bunny boots right now. Everything on my floor is frozen including the dog's water dish. You should see my CPU temperature right now. An overclockers dream.

Rother

while I've got the attention of all the Canadians. I seem to remember a 1st Hussars Museum in London, Ont. Anyone know if it's still there?

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

I AM CANADIAN!