AKoTM v2.0 contd. - post your painful updates and glorious AARs here!

Guest PondScum

Congratulations Texas Toast...Once again you have proven yourself an Asskicker and I am glad you are once again in the Championship match. Please see updated bracket for details.

Semi-finals.

mPisi

vs------------Pondscum

Pondscum

1)

labappel

vs------------Texas Toast

Texas Toast

====================

Texas and Pondscum, I will attempt to get you the map by tonight but I can't guarantee it as I have been swamped at work lately. If anything, the Championship map will be out by Sunday at the latest, but most probably sooner.

Thanks to everyone that participated in the second AKoTM and I look forward to the AAR for the Championship.

Out.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys,

the Championship map has gone out with a couple of twists:

1) 750 points must be armor and vehicles.

2) On top of your regular 2000 points...you will also purchase a 1000 point reserve. Of your reserve...at least 400 points must be armor and vehicles.

I am going to set BOTH reserves to enter the battle at turn 10 at a 10% chance per turn. Both reserves will enter in a "safe" spot, but neither of you will know where.

:cool:

Out.

Guest PondScum

Map received... for the rest of the tournament participants, here's what it looks like:

finalsmap50.jpg

There's a low wooded hill in the foreground, with a small flag in a village clearing on top. Beyond it there's another small flag on the road running from corner to corner. And in the background is a large flag amongst some heavy buildings high on a hill (Monte Cassino?), approached via a switchback road climbing through scattered trees. Here's a zoomed shot showing all three flags:

finalszoom50.jpg

Setup zones are in the foreground, except for tiny one-square setup zones around the middle flag, and on the sides of the steep hill in the background.

All those woods, and Duke is cruel enough to make this an armor battle. Plus who knows where those reinforcements will teleport in to. LOL smile.gif

I'm in a bit of a work crunch for the next week, so it could take me a while to get through purchases and setup.

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: PondScum ]

ATTENTION:

The Championship Match has begun! There isn't really a due date for this one but one thing I expect from you two, at this level, is that you keep everyone informed with some decent AAR's/updates of the fight. And I'm not talking about one update at turn 15 and another when it's all over. :rolleyes:

Good Hunting to you both...by the purchases...it should be a hellava fight.

Out.

Guest PondScum

Update! I've, uhhh, put my forces on the map and sent it to Texas Toast smile.gif

My battlefield intelligence officer (i.e., the little force flag thingy) tells me to expect British forces. The gamey swine...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iron Duke:

**Bump**

Just getting is out of the "ether" guys.

Just as a side note...is there any interest out there for a third AKoTM?

If so, please chime in. And remember...I need 32 souls for this.

Out.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Iron Duke ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*grumble*

Guest PondScum

Nothing happening in the final so far... I sent Texas Toast my first turn's moves on Saturday, haven't seen a movie back yet. I figure he takes weekends off, the slacker smile.gif

I also just realised that he's the #2 seed. Help!

And Duke, of course there's interest for a third in your fabulous series of AKOTM tournaments - although I suggest renaming it AKOTS, since we're clearly dealing in Seasons here, not Months :D Sign me up!

Just as a side note...is there any interest out there for a third AKoTM?

If so, please chime in. And remember...I need 32 souls for this.

Out.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Iron Duke ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, i wanna get my ass kicked too. Sign me up, Iron Duke (my mail: edgars@batesadm.lv)

Guest PondScum

Just a quick bump to get this back onto the front page, and maybe attract a few more people to AKOT[MS]3

And... Texas Toast and I have completed our first turn! No action to report, other than that he is using something with a very big gun to shell the poor innocent woods around the central victory location. Also, who knew that you could hear the unmistakable sound of a flamethrower from halfway across the battlefield? If I had to guess, I'd say that he was sealing off his back road by setting the woods on fire on either side. A fine tactic. Unless, of course, Duke picked that very location as the arrival point for Texas's reinforcements. Boy, that would suck :D

Guest PondScum

Texas Toast and I have gotten to turn 10 - here's a quick recap of the battle so far...

We both put troops into our single setup squares on the sides of Monte Cassino. On turn 2, I got a couple of faint sightings of his platoons as they moved uphill through the woods, and decided to enliven their progress with some 20mm and 75mm HE from the other side of the map. I also sprinted some of my troops up to the nearest large heavy building on the summit, and hid them there. A platoon of his came running up from the other direction on the very next turn, but had to cross an open road to reach the building. The resulting slaughter was terrible to behold - one of my squads got 21 confirmed kills with 7 shots. At the end of that turn his platoon was reduced to three riflemen, who fled for the building at the end of the street.

We then started to exchange high-explosive greetings on the summit - he used at least two FO's to drop a lot of large pointy things around the building containing my brave troops, and I replied with tanks from the other side of the map. The combined effect of this was that the only building to be knocked down was the one containing his three survivors, who have been having a bad day all round.

In the meantime the gamey bastiche was using a Churchill Crocodile to set fire to roads - I was right in that he's sealing himself off, but I was far too sane in thinking that he'd just torch the woods that the roads run through!

In the last few turns, an outpost LMG team of mine near the crossroads spotted a British platoon hidden in "his" side of the woods, and decided to engage them in a firefight. Two turns later the LMG team was dead, having been too panicked to realise that if they'd just backed up 1m, they'd have broken LOS. Just to show I care, I dropped some artillery on his platoon.

And the latest battlefront news is that we both had second platoons at the summit - but his took casualties from their own artillery, whereas I hid out in the woods. I'm engaged in a little mop-up operation right now...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The resulting slaughter was terrible to behold - one of my squads got 21 confirmed kills with 7 shots. At the end of that turn his platoon was reduced to three riflemen, who fled for the building at the end of the street.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeow! Sounds like a blood-bath. Pondscum, I do not have access to an area to post pictures, can you do so?

Guest PondScum

Yeow! Sounds like a blood-bath. Pondscum, I do not have access to an area to post pictures, can you do so?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unt. Duve's squad commenced firing about 15 seconds into the turn - this was the situation outside their building 45 seconds later, at the end of turn 3:

slaughter.jpg