MOD's that don't exist, a list.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlights weren't used in the front lines (obviously) - I'm not sure why the disc replaced the headlight, quite frankly, but it was commonly done on softskin vehicles. In the combat zone, they used smaller blackout drive lights, which cast a tiny spot of light in front of the vehicle so you could see maybe 6 feet ahead. I have driven with black out drive lights and it is quite challenging. For night convoy driving, only the lead vehicle used the spotlight - the others had to watch the white painted axle of the vehicle ahead; some vehicles also had a small spotlight under the rear bumper which shone on either a white disc on the underside of the rear bumper, or on the differential/axle.

There were a variety of paints available; the restorations I've seen were more of a brownish drab like I've done. Greens were also common; I'm certainly no expert but I think tanks were mostly green in NWE with softskins and carriers being brown.

Would love to hear from anyone with more info.

I'd like these new mods not to be butchered by having infinite change textures which have different camo or markings.

For instance, I have never played as, or fought, the French (as far as I can remember) and so it would be preferable for those mods to be US-only.

Also to keep things simpler there should be generic Commonwealth textures.

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs

------------------

"I drive over farmyard animals in my farmyard tractor, then I laugh afterwards."--CavScout [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

I agree with M. Bates. I have had trouble and at times stayed away from some mods due to the seeming complexity of installing the mod. Only after I decided to have the [atience with the mod, was I able to realize its not that hard, but annoying as heck. Marco Bergman put up a mod that was a simplified version of his wonderful allied tank mod (cant remember the name) but it was great to see a less complex mod in a sea of ever complexity in markings. Also...I think this should be a must, and I dont see why most mod makers dont this and I dont think it would be that much of a problem, but to have a jpeg of the mod you are about to install would be nice. Include it in the archive that is available for download. Its annoying at times to sift through mods on my hardrive wondering what this mod looks like...intalling it to find out is too time consuming.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 02-06-2001).]

Originally posted by M. Bates:

I'd like these new mods not to be butchered by having infinite change textures which have different camo or markings.

For instance, I have never played as, or fought, the French (as far as I can remember) and so it would be preferable for those mods to be US-only.

Also to keep things simpler there should be generic Commonwealth textures.

Hey, if you don't like unit markings, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE MODS THAT HAVE THEM. There are quite a few people here who spent a lot of time on things like French markings, and a lot of people that use them (I have never played the French either, but I am not about to start pissing all over those who do). I think "butchering" is a particularly inelegant way of putting it.

If you aren't capable of designing your own mods, perhaps making rude demands in open forum isn't really the way to see you get what you want.

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

Originally posted by Freak:

I agree with M. Bates. I have had trouble and at times stayed away from some mods due to the seeming complexity of installing the mod. Only after I decided to have the [atience with the mod, was I able to realize its not that hard, but annoying as heck. Marco Bergman put up a mod that was a simplified version of his wonderful allied tank mod (cant remember the name) but it was great to see a less complex mod in a sea of ever complexity in markings. Also...I think this should be a must, and I dont see why most mod makers do this and I dont think it would be that much of a problem, but to have a jpeg of the mod you are about to install would be nice. Include it in the archive that is available for download. Its annoying at times to sift through mods on my hardrive wondering what this mod looks like...intalling it to find out is too time consuming.

This is the way to phrase it, Freak, well done. And a good point to raise about including a .jpg - some websites are more user friendly than others when it comes to finding stuff quickly.

I only d/load the Mods w/o a batch file switcheroo... OR, I simply d/load the switcheroo MOD and then modify it to my liking. I'm trying to get one set of MODS I'm happy with, so I can freeze them all on CD, along with the last CM patch (when it finally gets here) to save my perfect game for all time.

However, I certainly RESPECT and ADMIRE the choices that mod makers are giving us these days! Even if you don't want to play the batch file switch game, it's WELL WORTH IT to spend that little extra time personally modifying one of the "choicy" mods to your own taste.

Thanks guys!

(NOW WHERE ARE THOSE SHERMANS!!!!!!!!!!)

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy...

Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

Guest Andrew Hedges

I don't think that there are any mods for the planes. Somehow the shadows don't seem quite right.

smile.gif

Also, does anyone have a mod for free french offboard artillery?