New MOD: narrow targeting/movement lines

Satisfying to whom? Speak for yourself -- I like it! But it would have to be judiciously applied.....

Now we just need somebody who has the time to figure out how to polish this. DeanCo's demonstrated the right line of thinking: witness the color coding he used on his clipboard orders.

We now have several cues we can use to differntiate the different lines: color, width, and solid/broken. This could be really cool....

[This message has been edited by sbg2112 (edited 02-25-2001).]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sbg2112,

you've convinced me. THe URL for the broken-line variant is posted below the picture a few post upwards (on the first page).

Marcus

------------------

Alle Maschinen voraus Große, Ruder hart Backbord. Neuer Kurs wird Zwo-Eins-Null.

Sorry Tris, but I can't follow you on that.

Sure you need a password for uploading something, but not for downloading a file.

1. Geocities has prevented direct linking to hosted files from outside its server. Therefore you will get an error message if you click on the link.

2. If you copy the URL and paste it into a new browser window (or type it per hand), this securing-mechanism does not work - so you can get the file.

3. I've send the files to Tom's CM Headquarter and another site for easier download.

With regards, Marcus

------------------

Alle Maschinen voraus Große, Ruder hart Backbord. Neuer Kurs wird Zwo-Eins-Null.

[This message has been edited by mike8g (edited 02-25-2001).]

Hey! Someone is actually using my Kubelwagen!!! smile.gif

I like the subdued effect!

My question is:

Where do you get those victory flags???

Finally, let me say nice work on the line mod!

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

Mr Clark,

you can see the use of your Kübelwagen in the picture as some kind of saying thankyou to you.

If I recall correctly, you've used my 3D faces set on your pictures when promoting your mod on this forum.

Regarding the "V for Victory" neutral flags:

I don't know where I d/l this bmp last december or who the author was, but I've sent you the file via email.

Marcus

------------------

Good idea to show off other author's mods you are using in screenshots. I already got the Kubelwagon after seeing it in Marcus' post and him posting the link to it. Now I'd like that flag too, come to think of it, I'm a bit tired of the big "?" I have been using for seems like forever.

Sorry Tris, but I think I'm not.

I've just downloaded the file for testing purposes - it works fine with the method described unter point 2.

BTW, I've e-mailed those files to you, so you won't have to worry about Geocities anymore... ;)

Hope that helps,

Marcus

------------------

Kekk,

the tankman unit profile picture is from one

of Sinpoet profile-sets. You can get them at Madmatt's CMHQ:

http://combathq.thegamers.net/mods/interface2.asp

The one you are looking for is from the "allportraits.zip" (886k). It's inside the Axis subfolder and has the designation 1102-2.bmp

Marcus

------------------

Man..ya leave for a day or so and ya really miss a lot! smile.gif

Now this is one cool idea. Brilliant. I wish I woulda thought of it, and that's my highest compliment. smile.gif

I've just had time to check them out a bit but it seems as though the first effort is the good one. The lines are still there but are much more discreet. The superthin ones,I had a hard time seeing the targeting lines, and I said no. The dotted lines, same thing. Too disconcerting.

Also they seem to have darkened up some, or changed color slightly? Or is it my imagination? At any rate I really like it as it is, great job.

I'd be interested in hosting this mod on my site. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm into to improve the CM game experience. Drop me a line.

A final idea : how about a "directional" line? In other words, just the first little bit of the line would be colored, the rest would be clear, until you got to the next 'color'. Would that, I wonder, give an indication of the direction of travel without drawing the whole line? In that case you could go back to having the line thick again, and then the player would see a series of 'pointers' at the waypoints on the battlefield. Do you see what I'm saying?

Keep up the good work y'all.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

I like the idea of the different types of lines for different functions. For instance, possibly dashed lines for targeting, narrow lines for movement, etc. I'd volunteer to try to set it up, but I'm up to my ears with whitewashed mods and US camouflaged mods. smile.gif

Gordon

Just my personal tastes here, but I liked the first version the best. Anyway to get multiple versions to satisfy every one? Maybe a Mod1, Mod2, Mod3, sort of thing.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

DeanCo,

if you like to host the files on your (great) site, do so.

Also they seem to have darkened up some, or changed color slightly?

Yes, it is darkened. I cut 50% of the original line width, taking away the bright side, so that the brightest part of the new line was a middle one on the old one.

A final idea : how about a "directional" line? In other words, just the first little bit of the line would be colored, the rest would be clear, until you got to the next 'color'

Sorry, but I don't think this is possible. If you take a look at the structure of the #2020 bmp, you will see many small color patches.

For the creation of a single line, one color patch is taken and expanded. The expansion will be used until a discrete length is reached. If the line has to be longer, another patch will be attached and expanded.

Because of that, you cannot create a direction line without changing the program routines. Sorry.

Gordon,

your idea should work. It will require some intense testing to identify all those color patches, but it can certainly be done.

Marcus

------------------

[This message has been edited by mike8g (edited 02-26-2001).]

I love it when someone says something is impossible... well, when I am able to do it later, that is! smile.gif

lines.jpg

The cool thing about this is, I set it up so when you are laying the lines, they are solid white. When you click, the line dissapears, just leaving the pointers. If the path goes over an elevation this turns into dotted lines, like you see above the tank. Nothing to be done about this, it's in the game. The artillery commands have been left the same so you can see where you're aiming.

What do y'all think?

(yet another edit) I can set this up several ways actually. No paths at all, little dinky pointers, pointers just in the direction of travel, long pointer in the direction of travel and short pointer at the end point, or a combination of the above. I haven't touched the targeting at all, or the C&C lines. I really think this could be cool but I lack the expertise to do it right. If some of the more... shall we say, rabid players could check in with the features they'd like to see, that would be cool. (hopefully the last edit)

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 02-26-2001).]