COMBAT MISSIONS: Quality Control ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel manx. You sound like I felt some time ago when I decided to quit modding. My advice to you would be to take a break and close down the site until CMBB is released then open again if you still feel like continuing. Gives you time to sit back and reflect and decide. Will also clear the cobwebs (and e-mail) smile.gif

-Tiger

Manx has the best site for mods, scenarios, and now even books. I go there every couple of days. There is always something fresh.

A very well tended site by a solid web designer and CM fan. It looks good and loads fast at 56k. I appreciate the way Manx let's new folks share their stuff. If I don't like it, I don't use it.

And it's free to all except Manx. Manx is the editor, but if he needs help to check out submissions, maybe an editorial team would help. That seems to work for Der Kessel, another excellent site.

Thanks for everything, Manx. Please keep up the good work.

Jake

Well, as a member of the now defunct "Dirty Half Dozen," I'm sort of an indirect victim of this "criticism", but I still have no idea what sort of criticism it was..but whatever it was it shouldn't discourage you from keeping up a first rate site.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been fired. Anyone need a scenario designer?

Frank

Although many people here already voiced my feelings toward Combat Missions site, I feel it's my duty to give my 110% support to Manx for his endeavour.

- I've downloaded quite a few scenarios from his site, as well as many mods.

- I've read probably all the articles currently hosted there, for which I am most grateful.

- This site is my one CM mod shopping site, along with Madmatt's

- I cannot understand why people concerned with historical accuracy don't express their view in a more constructive way. Beside, as an history student myself (who plan to specialize in WWII) I think it is a major fault to undermine a project like Manx's site for so-called innacuracies, and nobody should call themselves historians if, by their actions, they prevent someone like Manx to bring people's contribution to this absolutly fantastic game that is CM. Somebody already mentioned that CM is a WWII tactical simulator. As such, even fictional scenarios are pretty worthy historically, if you know what I mean.

All this to say that I support every initiative that makes CM a better game, and, IMHO, Manx's work is doing that with much class. Don't give up by anything else then your own will.

Tarkus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franko:

Well, as a member of the now defunct "Dirty Half Dozen," I'm sort of an indirect victim of this "criticism", but I still have no idea what sort of criticism it was..but whatever it was it shouldn't discourage you from keeping up a first rate site.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been fired. Anyone need a scenario designer?

Frank<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want you can join my scenario Team.

Just email me.

Manx,

A few months back I sent you an email stating how much I appreciated your efforts. You were kind enough to reply to my email with a simple thank you. I was very impressed by that. I think that shows that you are a first rate person. All I can say is, Ignore the criticism and do what is best for yourself. You have a fine website and I thank you once again for all your contributions to this fine game.

Bodman

This is my first post on the Battlefront Boards so bear with me guys. I've made several scenarios on Manx's site and I think that it is one of the bect CM sites around these days. I hope that he can pull through this and and the site will live but I'm sure he'll do what's best. As for the criticism of some of the content I am vexed. I would never claim to be a living historian about WW2 nor would try to imply that with the stuff I've done that Manx has posted on his site. I do follow WW2 with alot of interest and I've used alot of my books and such for a little background and it gives me a foundation to work with when I make my scenarios but I've never seen a scenario or operation that everyone could agree was 100% accurate. The only ppl that could testify to a work's accuracy would be someone who was there and knew what was happening. Besides, it's just a game! It may be a WW2 simulation/strategy game but when all is said and done it's still just a game. And a game is something to be played and enjoyed, not studied and analyzed. CM is not reference material but it's fun as hell. I've tried to be as accurate as possible when making scenarios and I've always made sure to try and keep things like unit info, terrain, and basic scenario stuff in the realms of plausibility but no one could sit down and make a operation or scenario 100% accurate while dotting all the right Is and crossing all the right Ts. To do that would take an insane amount of micromanagement and one scenario would take weeks or months to finally finish. And I don't know that even the great editor that CM has can do that really, although it is a great editor to use. I don't know where these bad remarks started or why Manx is getting the heat for it but as a scenario designer who has had stuff posted on his site, I feel obligated to not only come on here to defend Manx and his site but also to the other great MOD and scenario designers out there. Tiger, Clubfoot, Magua, and others do really good work and it would be a shame if there wasn't guys Manx around to give these ppl a platform in which to show their goods. I've had several ppl email me and tell me that they like my scenarios and have enjoyed them and for me that's all that matters. Manx, I hope you'll keep the site going and you'll continue to allow us scenario and MOD designers a chance to expand and improve on the already great CM!

I've had a few days to think things over and i've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of people who visit the site are happy with what it is trying to do. And so, as long as scenario designers/mod-makers/writers keep feeding me with the ammunition, i will load it up and fire it.

Expect an update soon.

Thanks!