Wehrmatch had a different salute?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

(just passing by)

just for the record, IIRC it was Cunningham ("RMC") who initially found this out, not me.<hr></blockquote>

I think you're right, but you did have some neat quotes from unit histories that supported it, including one about a Gruppenführer (squad leader) who told a Gruppenführer (SS General) what his job was.

The name of the Gruppenführer (not the Gruppenführer) escapes me...not Hausser, not Meyer, not Heydrich....the other one!

On the origin of saluting, one thing that counts agianst the theory of knights tipping their visors is the fact that most helmets didn't have pivoted visors. That's mainly a Hollywood thing. Also, it would have been the knights getting saluted, rather than them slauting others.

I think the tradition is more to do with the practice of showing an unarmed hand to a dignatary, just like the Red Indian "how". Of course, the Arabs also have their "salaam", touching the breast, lips and forhead to signify a true heart, a mouth free of insult and a mind free of treacherous thoughts.

On Pommie saluting: I believe that the Royal Navy uses the plam down salute as opposed to the palm out Army version.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ellros:

Long ago I heard a silly reason for the difference in salutes between the US and European armies (although it kinda makes sense)...

If your country has lost an actual war, you salute with the palm facing away. If you have not, then the salute is with the palm down.

Sounds odd, and I doubt it's the real reason, but I thought it was interesting.<hr></blockquote>

So, we presume that the palm down style salute has changed from 1973 after the Vietnam debacle? For this reason I think the above theory is pretty far fetched.

Regards

Jim R.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]</p>

The modern military salute originated in the late XVIII early XIX century period, before (seven years war epoch) it was common to salute raising one's hat. I presume that the advent of various sort of headgears with chinstraps (e.G. the shako) that was bulky (or impossible) to doff quickly, let to the salute being only raising the hand to the hat.

For the palm up/down salute orIgin, I presume that the victor/loser hypothesis is too far fetched. Not only because it's disproved by facts, but also because no soldier would like to recognize and remember to be a loser every time he makes this routine gesture.

Regards,

Amedeo

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Amedeo ]</p>

In one of his routines, Jerry Seinfeld noted that there seemed to be a "casual" Nazi salute that was used when they were in the office... sort of a half-hearted lifting of the hand, almost as though they were telling someone "whoa! that's enough ground pepper, thank you."

(busy administrative office)

"...ah, Gunter, come in...heil..."

"Good to see you...heil... here are the reports..."

"Frau Hoffer, some coffee, bitte?"

"Ah, there you are... heil..." etc.etc...

And while we're at it, why do the Germans always seem to be smoking their cigarrettes in a wacky manner?

-Joshik

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I think you're right, but you did have some neat quotes from unit histories that supported it, including one about a Gruppenführer (squad leader) who told a Gruppenführer (SS General) what his job was.

The name of the Gruppenführer (not the Gruppenführer) escapes me...not Hausser, not Meyer, not Heydrich....the other one!<hr></blockquote>

It was Papa Hausser observing a company during training.

Here's another one:

"Standesgemäß -

Beim SS-Regiment „Deutschland" in München treffen wieder neue Rekruten ein. Unter ihnen befindet sich auch der Standartenführer Müller der Allgemeinen SS, um seinen Wehrdienst in der SS-Verfügungstruppe abzuleisten.

Als er sich beim Spieß der Rekrutenkompanie „vorstellt“, sagt er diesem gleich:

„Am Bahnhof stehen noch einige Koffer von mir. Lassen Sie die bitte abholen!“

„Jawohl – Standartenführer!“ erwidert der Spieß zackig und klappt die Hacken zusammen.

Die neuen rekruten wurden auf der Kammer „eingekleidet“ und sind soeben zum ersten Appell im feldgrauen Drillich angetreten.

Der Spieß ruft die Namen auf, und die Männer melden sich mit „Hier!“

Als er zum „ehemligen“ Standartenführer Müller kommt, ruft er auf: „SS Anwärter Müller!“

„Hier!“

Der Spieß: „Gut, Müller! - Übrigens, am Bahnhof stehen noch einige Koffer vom Standartenführer Müller, die holen Sie ab.“

„Jawohl, Stabscharführer!“

"In accordance with standing (rank)

New recruits arrive at SS Regiment "Deutschland." Among them is Standartenführer (colonel) Müller of the Allgemeine SS to perform his required military service in the SS Verfügungstruppe.

When he presents himslef to the First Sergeant of the recruit company he immediately says "A few bags of mine are still at the train station. Please have them picked up."

"Jawohl Standartenführer" replies the First Sergeant sharply and clicks his heels together.

The new recruits were given their uniforms and just formed for their first formation in field-gray fatigues.

The First Sergeant calls the names out and the men answer with "here!"

When he gets to the "former" Standartenführer Müller he calls out "SS Aspirant Müller!"

"Here!"

The First Sergeant: " Good, Müller! - Oh, by the way there are still some bags from Standartenführer Müller at the train station, you go fetch them."

"Jawohl, Stabscharführer!"

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: RMC ]</p>

Joshik

Way back in the dimmer parts of my memory I remember a history teacher refering to this salute (not fully fledged "Heil Hitler" salute, not military salute but forearm raised to show open palm at shoulder level) used by superior officers/politicos to their underlings... not able to verify whether this is fact or fiction

Yeknod