Tank Hunter and Tank Destroyer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sirocco:

And "Projector, Infantry, Anti-Tank" became "Projector, Infantry, Tank-Attack". ;)

As a point of interest, I've always wondered, how do you pronounce the "jagd" in "jagdpanzer", "jagdpanther" and "jagdtiger"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It kind of depends on your accent but most pronounce it as "yaygd".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

Stug's alone are credited with the destruction of over 20,000 AFVs during WW2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the things that seemed to come out of the optics thread was that rangefinders would give an edge, especially when fighting defensively, and use may have been common on Stugs, a branch of artillery that they were. Any info on that in the Jentz book, or was it just folding periscopes without the ranging function that were used?

As a point of interest, I've always wondered, how do you pronounce the "jagd" in "jagdpanzer", "jagdpanther" and "jagdtiger"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German J is pronouced as the English Y, and A's are not any different, so I'd guess 'jagdpanther' is 'yagdpanther'.

Paul Jungnitsch

smile.gif

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: machineman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by machineman:

One of the things that seemed to come out of the optics thread was that rangefinders would give an edge, especially when fighting defensively, and use may have been common on Stugs, a branch of artillery that they were. Any info on that in the Jentz book, or was it just folding periscopes without the ranging function that were used?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many pictures of Stugs that I have seen show them using the forked artillery range finders.

Regarding the German designations:

The designations "Panzerjaeger" and "Jagdpanzer" have just the two subwords exchanged, but nontheless they mean entirely different things, grammatics-wise.

"Panzerjaeger" says "this is something that hunts a tank", but it does not say what this thing is or that this thing is itself a tank. It may be a duck trained to hit tanks.

"Jagdpanzer" says "this is a tank that hunts something", explicityly saying what kind of thing it is, but not saying anything about what it hunts. This one could hunt ducks.

The Panzerjaeger are the thin-skinned Marder and Nashorn things. The Jagdpanzer are the ones with the thick front plates.

The thin-skinned Panzerjaeger must essentially used like a towed gun (only that it can hit the road when things get nasty). But while the Jagdpanzer is built to be able to withstand hits from enemy tanks, from what I read the usage was exactly the same. Drive around behind the infantry in cover and shoot tanks that show up to support the enemy infantry.

Active roles were the duty of tanks with turrets. On the other hand, often you have to use what's available.

We like to pronounce it 'Jaggedy' because 'Jaggedy-Panzer' sounds kind of cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Stugs, for a short time, were the best armored and best armed german AFV. Since they were predominately used by artillerymen, they were a bit different than Marders/hetzers/etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hetzers were crewed by artillerymen, too, although things like Jagdpanther were crewed by tankers.

Regarding the difference between jagdpanzer and panzerjäger:

IIRC Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzers and Jagdpanzer IVs were organized into Panzerjäger Abteilungs and Kompanien. This seems to indicate that the difference between the definitions isn't clear cut.

Tue

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by machineman:

The books I just looked in seem to call them all 'tank destroyers' in English.

... in German the early lashup types ... are called 'Tank Hunters'

'Panzerjaeger' ...

The the later purpose built creations (Jagdpanzer Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV, JagdPanther, JagdTiger) were called 'Hunting Tanks' 'Jagdpanzer', ... signifying the more aggressive tactics possible ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>From what I've understood this is pretty much correct.

The term Tank Destroyer was invented by the US to be applied on pretty much any SP ATG that wasn't a tank.

"Tank Hunter" is nothing but a direct translation of Panzerjäger, a term which is better translated to just "anti tank" since it was applied to all AT units no matter what equipment they used.

So, in short:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Tank Destroyer = self propelled ATG, that isn't a tank.<LI>Panzerjäger need some more specification.

A Panzerjäger company is an AT coy that can be equipped with anything from horse drawn 37mm ATGs to Jagdtigers.

A Panzerjäger 1B is a TD based on a PzKw I chassis and have a 47mm ATG.

<LI>Tank Hunter == Tank Destroyer, but usually applied to German TDs only.

Cheers

Olle

Regarding the pronunciation: Jagdpanther is like "yahktpahnter" (can't type the IPA characters on this keyboard)

"J" is like an English "y" (as in "yes", not the vowel version in "funny"), "d" at the end of the syllable before a consonant is like a "t", and "th" is like "t". The "a" is soft in both syllables.